Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
Tacoma Bob

Default Not Model A related but worth the read

A childhood friend posted on Facebook last night that police detectives from our town paid him a little visit and confiscated his 49 chevy (stocker) that he purchased just last year. The car in question was stolen in 1998. Although I'm pleased someones property will be going home I feel bad for my Buddy. He bought it from a car lot and the they claim they didn't know it was a stolen vehicle. Be careful out there my friends.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: Not Model A related but worth the read

Doesn't that exceed the statute of limitations? Not condoning theft, but I think the police overstepped the letter of law. Rod
Old 02-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #3
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

The theft has expired, but not possession, sale, paperwork faking, etc. of the car or its ownership. Someone still owns the car legitimately, either the guy it was stolen from or the insurance company if he was paid for an insured loss.
Since the car was identified by the police, I'd guess that it is still on its real serial number and that probably it has changed ownership a few times without being registered or with registration done carelessly without running number...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
Tacoma Bob

Not sure Rod. My friend is going to go after the car lot owner though. I will keep everyone posted on this one. Sad part is that Al is just a nice guy right at retiring any time.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #5
Terry, NJ

How do the police know it's stolen? Did the previous owner point it out to anyone? Were they able to prove it was either stolen or the same car? I agree with Rod, The police overstepped.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
Rowdy
BANNED

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
This reminds me of a story that one of my cousins who is a state patrolman told me about 20+ years ago. In 1978 a very new custom van was stolen in Sidney, Ne. The people who stole it stashed it in a barn until 1986, then applied for a storage title and got it as the statute of limitations had ran out. They did not have to return it or spend any time in jail. They drove the van for a couple of years then sold it. Other than hard feelings between the original owner and the people who stole it nothing was hurt and the law was unable to help the original owners. Not right IMHO, but with the way the law was/ is written that is the way things worked. State laws may be different and our law may have changed by now. Rod
Old 02-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #7
denis4x4

When I had the Model A VIN checked by the CHP to make sure it was clear, the officer told me about a guy that had restored a GTO and the engine turned out to be stolen. There was a happy (but expensive) ending as the guy was able to "buy" the engine from the insurance company. The timeline between the theft and repurchase was almost 15 years.

When something is stolen, reported to the police and covered by insurance, it's still stolen no matter what the time frame is.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #8
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I am sure if nothing else the purchaser will have the opportunity to file a civil litigation suit / claim against the car dealer. I am sure the court would rule that the dealer was not prudent or exercise due diligence when completing both transactions. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #9
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
How do the police know it's stolen? Did the previous owner point it out to anyone? Were they able to prove it was either stolen or the same car? I agree with Rod, The police overstepped.
Terry
I don't think the police overstepped. It is my understanding that the statute of limitations applies to the crime, the theft of the car. The thief, unfortunately, is probably off of the hook. The car still is the property of the person from whom it was stolen. I am glad he go it back.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:45 PM   #10
vcaporos

How about the guys insurance wouldn't that cover the mans loss ?
vcaporos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:31 PM   #11
denis4x4

If the insurance company paid a claim, the car belongs to them. He might have the option of buying it back. I suspect that the car VIN was in a data base of stolen vehicles and when somebody tried to register it, the cops were notified. To those of you that thought the cops overstepped their bounds, how would you feel if it was your A that was stolen and years later was recovered?
Old 02-12-2015, 04:43 PM   #12
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

And...many old cars pass from owner to owner without title or registration being filed, so trouble is passed along (probably deliberately at the beginning of the chain, probably innocently after first step) to multiple people if title is false or defective...
Police overstepped?? How would YOU feel if your car were stolen and then you saw it with a new owner 15 years later?? "Gee, it's been a long time...I hope the police don't overstep and hassle the guy who's enjoying my car..."
The car is STILL stolen, possession of it remains illegal, and even though the poor guy now holding the bag probably fell into the mess innocently, he just plain is in possession of a car that belongs to someone else, either the person who owned it or an insurance company that paid for it. I hope he has some sort of civil recourse against the people who passed along a hot potato, but he still does not have any claim to the car.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #13
1931 flamingo

Tacoma: What state is your friend in??

This is a good reason for a title on whatever you're buying, unless the state you're in doesn't issue one because of it's age. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #14
Slotblog

"unless the state you're in doesn't issue one because of it's age."

That is the case in Georgia. They wouldn't issue a title to me for my newly-purchased 1930 Model A.
Slotblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #15
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

A very good reason why the ale of titles should be totally banned. It is black market misrepresentation. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote