Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2015, 12:30 AM   #41
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Default Re: Big Mistake

Shhh, Logan, it is crowded enough as it is.

one million ppl move into Texas every decade
Old 01-30-2015, 01:18 AM   #42
T Scott

So what's the problem? Move the car into the basement!
My wife would be OK with that, but the living room? not gonna happen. Some women have absolutely no understanding.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:50 AM   #43
dave in australia

Snow? I've heard of that. Some sort of white stuff isn't it I think the problem for most of Aussies is not the cold, but the heat in summer. I went into my shed when it was 46C (115F)outside. I used a IR thermometer on the bonnet(hood) of my Tudor and it was 58C (136F). Decided it was a bit too hot to do any work and went to the local water hole, Briagalong Blue Pools, instead.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:41 AM   #44
Terry, NJ

Chris, Have you thought of using Carey Insulation? I was building my home and thinking of doing the job myself when I was suggested to me. They came in, did the job for less than I could buy the materials for, Had it done in three days (two story, four bd rm) and no itchy-scratchy! They probably aren't too busy this time of the year. I think they're a franchised outfit with locations all over. Try them!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #45
Terry, NJ

An old friend taught me how to settle out drain oil and mix it with #2 and burn it off, For Free! I didn't think it could be done, what with sludge, etc. Keeping it as clean as possible can be critical. Just add a little fuel oil to it to neutralize the detergent properties in the drain oil, settle it out for a while, then dump most of it into your tank. Hold back the last of it so you don't pour the dregs of it into the tank. It isn't much of a savings, but every little bit helps.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
Heh. In my post above I mentioned a hot air furnace burning No. 2 oil.

I already own the air jet conversion to change it to burn waste oil. See http://www.ckburners.com/kits.html

EPA on my side on that one. (This is rare) They consider the environmental risk of moving waste oil to be greater than the environmental damage caused by burning the waste oil for heat.

Joe K
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:55 AM   #46
BlueSunoco

Chris, NICE garage congratulations!!

I insulated ours myself with rolled fiberglass, and was itching and coughing for almost two weeks and I wore long sleeves, respirator, etc. If I had to do it again I would do as H.L. suggested, just hire someone to come in and do that job!
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:15 PM   #47
d.

Spray Foam is very efficient...if you ever watch Holmes on Homes, or Love it or List it, they are both filmed in Canada and always (only) use Spray Foam. It fills ALL gaps.
A lot of builders here in NC even, that is what they use...fast and efficient.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:25 PM   #48
CWilson

Thanks for all the compliments! I'm leaning towards spray foam. It kills me to pay someone to do things I can do myself. I wish/wonder if there is a way to spray it myself. Like everything else in the building industry, the longer something is around, the more the manufacturers start making it so the novice can do it.

Chris
CWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:36 PM   #49
d.

Spray Foam is not a DIY kind of project in any way. Check those guys on TV...they have major league respirators and sealed bunny suits, just like asbestos removal teams.
The spray foam fumes have isocyanates (sp?) just like epoxy paint. Serious respirator must be used. After the building airs out for a few hours you are good to go.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #50
dlfrisch

I have a two car garage attached to the house, but I had a new two car garage built (24' X24') to work on and keep my 'A in. Looks just like Chris' (CWilson) above. All wired and insulated, but where do you think I keep the 'A and work on it.

Dave
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:13 PM   #51
dlfrisch

I would have put in a picture, but I can't make this transfer into the Ford Barn system.
Chris, how do you do it and attach a large picture?
Dave
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:51 AM   #52
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Chris,

In my opinion, the most important thing is: Is your wife happy with what you think about the basement & shop ?

Marriage is always a combination of two entirely different people from entirely different backgrounds, with entirely different values, entirely different taste, who somehow get together & try to make it work "after" we somehow by the grace of God "click".

An intelligent though-out fair compromise between two different opinions will always work in marriage if the "wife" agrees ..... women are just not men & are a mental necessity for success .

You have what most of us would love to have ...... physical youth ..... we all had it once ..... but we still have mental youth ..... not exactly the same ... we truly appreciate your time to energize us with your comments & photos of your new shop.
Only the best of wishes for you & your wife.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:05 AM   #53
dean from bozeman

Chris, get the basement done. Domestic harmony is paramount. I repeat, domestic harmony is of the utmost importance.

If you have any free time, wear the correct clothing and work in the cold. If you are not working with liquids or fire, a couple layers of cardboard from an appliance store will be a great insulator if you need to lay on the ground.

A couple building tips (not just for Chris's garage):

1. Spraying foam insulation is a professional endeavor. It is a great way to insulate but it can be costly. Structurally, it has the same effect as strengthening your building as a sheath of 5/8" plywood does. After installing foam insulation, let the building air out for as long as you can (several days/several weeks).
If you use small amounts of foam (sold in aerosol cans) make sure that you allow it enough room to expand. Using too much around windows will keep them from opening and is a b*tch to remove.

2. When installing fiberglass insulation use a good quality mask/respirator. The body has a tough time removing tiny fiberglass particles from the lungs. Cover the insulation with drywall or plywood. Heat rises so your best bang for the buck is using a greater R-factor insulation in the ceiling area.

3. If your garage is attached to your house put two layers of 3/4" drywall on the wall separating your house from the garage. In many places this is in the building code. This is a relatively cheap way to isolate your house from any fires that might occur in the garage.

I am currently in the process of putting up a 32' by 64' shop. It is a used metal building that I bought from a friend for the price of scrap metal. He needed to get rid of it and I couldn't resist. Of course, I couldn't just put it up as is. By doing so I would only have had a building for cold storage. So I am using the steel girder/truss system for the back 40' and the front 24' will be stick (2" by 6") construction. Having used foam insulating on other projects, I am sold on it. The entire building will be foamed. The front 20' of the building will be enclosed work space. The back 44' will be somewhat "cold storage" (just above freezing) for vehicles, tractor, etc.
This is truly a dream coming true for me. Dump truck, tractor, implements, etc. have always been outside and have suffered. I have also been paying on storage in town for the '39 Ford, my mom's restored '80 T-Bird and a beautifully restored complete Model A chassis that I will probably sell. I also have a pretty nice '28 Phaeton that will need its own place (in the front 20'). In other words, this building will be full at the moment of completion.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:37 AM   #54
CWilson

Thanks for all the useful information and encouragement. I researched DIY foam installation, and it is completely possible for the novice. (I'm not really a novice in the building trades) What I have found is that if you are going to do more than 200 sq/ft the price becomes cheaper to have a pro do it because of the smaller canisters sold to "Joe Public".

As for now, the basement first, insulate garage second. I will have motivation to get the basement done so I can get to the garage...

dlfrisch, how do I get larger pictures on my posts? I download my pictures to a website called Photobucket. From there you get an IMG code which you insert into the post you want the picture. There are other ways to do it, and other websites to use. I've been using Photobucket for years and works best for me. PM me if you have a question about how to do it exactly.

Chris
CWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #55
Ed in Maine

Nice looking garage. Mine is in Northern Maine (32 x 32) and it is not insulated. I have a 31 Slant Windshield Cabriolet disassembled out there and we now have close to 30 in. of snow on the ground. In the fall I plan on what will be worked on over the winter and the parts are carried into the basement of the house. Even there, it is only 50 F. Not much fun when every tool you pick up is uncomfortable. I decided not to heat the garage because I have 1914 Model T Touring that always has a running nose at the quarter turn shutoff valve. It doesn't drip but at times it smells. There is just too much gasoline out there to have open flames. At the moment I have plenty to do in the house but next year I will be frustrated just like you when most of the work will be final assembly. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote