Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
34fivewindow

Default Ford Dealer in the 30's 40's 50's

Anybody here actually work at A Ford Dealer, in the 30's 40's 50's ? If so what was it like, lets hear some stories
34fivewindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
Frank The Plumber

Default Re: Ford Dealer in the 30's 40's 50's

Hey 34 5 hows it goin? good to see you here>
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
34fivewindow

Hello Frank, its going good thanks, just having fun with the new Ford Barn. Ryan has taken this thing to a whole new level, its NICE......Ed
34fivewindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Brendan

it was hard!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
raceron1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34fivewindow View Post
Anybody here actually work at A Ford Dealer, in the 30's 40's 50's ? If so what was it like, lets hear some stories
PART I:

No, I didn't - I'm not THAT old. 4 days out of the Air Force when I went to work Ford parts depts in the early 70s, just as that godawful pollution garbage & railroad tie bumper stuff was coming in. Left the business in '84 for greener pastures.

One place was in northern Michigan. I think the building had been there since Hector was a pup. All wood construction, likely built in the 30s or early 40s. Back then it seemed the mentality of some dealers that parts depts existed only to satisfy the franchise agreement.

This one wasn't my first dealership, I'd been at others in the metro Detroit area. I took this job cuz it was near my hometown and the old parts mgr was retiring soon. Besides with 3 years experience in the big city I was ready to get back out in the country.

It didn't take long to find out what I'd stepped in - it was BAD. There hadn't been a physical inventory in many years. And PIP? Ha! I doubt he even knew what it was (Parts Inventory Protection - how to return serviceable parts to Ford for credit). Parts - many obsolete - strewn all over and in no order. Looked like when anyone needed something other than tuneups or oil filters, the old guy'd order it instead of checking stock. The back door was open - which meant techs, salesmen, ANYONE could come & go as they pleased - and most times without anyone's knowledge. And we all know how honest those schmucks are, right? I think the ol'fart manager left it open on purpose so he wouldn't have to deal with 'em.

And the inventory system?? It was the Assort-a-Post card files, basically a system that tracks parts sales & inventories. This one reminded me of - remember the Time Machine movie when he found the books, opened one and the pages crumbled in his hand? Very close.

But I was soon to find out the rest of the story. At least some of it.

-- to be continued - -

I'm at work and someone's knocking at the back door...it's LOCKED
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
KiWinUS

my dad did in the mid 40,s - 50,s in New Zealand , and it made him one of the best real mechanic,s ever , where he could fix , repair , rebuild , major or minor , "ANYTHING" mechanical ,from anywhere in the world , with very few tools or recources often better than originally made .
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
Tanner SC

Smile Re: Ford Dealer in the 30's 40's 50's

My father sold Fords from 1934-1939 in the St. Louis area.
As a kid he had maintained his family's cars and could rebuild most any car.
About 1940 I remember him doing a valve and ring job on his 1938 Ford sedan in our basement garage.
I often went with him on visits to the dealership where he still knew many people and I got to tour the shop to see what was going in work.

About 1954 we often saw a "like new" 1934 coupe being driven by an elderly couple. My father said he had sold the car to them in 1934 -when times were still tough.
Tanner SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
1950effie

My grandfather was a dealer from '47-71 in a small Texas town west for Fort Worth. Also worked for one of the largest in Dallas from '29-'47.
1950effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
Bill Steiner

I worked at a Linc, Merc dealer in the late 50's. Those where great days. After that I have owned a large Automotive shop for the last 45 years. My family has had Auto or at first Blacksmith shops for the last 100 years. Bill S.
Bill Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
lesbliss

While in high school I worked for a Kansas City MO Ford dealership as lot boy and new car prep. Received 57 Fords with the big chrome side pieces stuck on with glue because the mounting studs didn't line up. Some cars came with parts( like carbs) in the trunk. Not one of Fords better years.

Les Bliss
lesbliss is offline   Reply With Quote