Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #1
tubman

Default Types of 6 volt sealed beam headlights

I have been following the thread about 6 volt LED headlight bulbs for the earlier cars with some interest. I have a later model (1951) that has it's original 6 volt system and regular incandescent sealed beam headlights. This has piqued my interest, and I am wondering if there is an upgrade for my car as well. Instead of "hi-jacking" that thread, I thought I'd start a new one.

After about an hour long internet search, I have come to the conclusion that no one makes a 6 volt 7" LED sealed beam (yet). Even if someone did, if they are anything like the 12 volt units available, they would be "funny looking" and I wouldn't like them on my car. What I did come across was a plethora of 6 volt 7" halogen sealed beams. From what I can gather, these light use about 75% of the wattage of regular incandescent. They also produce a better quality light and last twice as long as regular incandescents. I checked the popular auction site, and find that you can get a pair of them for less that $30 (including shipping). On top of everything else, from pictures I have found, they look almost identical to the regular sealed beams. I believe that anything that would reduce the load on the generator and electrical system in general would be a plus.

For the price, I think I'm going to order a set for my car. Has anyone here had experience with these? Do they work and look as good as they appear to in the advertisements? I would appreciate any and all feedback.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
blucar

Default Re: Types of 6 volt sealed beam headlights

I don't quite understand all of the hype regarding the replacement of 6v sealed beams with something from the aftermarket.
I converted my '36 coupe to 6v sealed beams shortly after I bought the car in 1952. I omitted the original switch on the bottom of the steering column in favor of a dash mounted switch and a dimmer switch on the floor. A relay was added to the system to minimize voltage drain and a '39 Ford 2 brush generator with a regulator was added in lieu of the original cut out.

I have driven my Ford over 94k during the years I have owned it in all kinds of road condition, city, rural and the open hiway, never had a problem with the lights, in fact on high beam, people that failed to dim their lights did so very quickly when I flashed my lights at them.
The bulbs that are currently on my car are G-3, G-E..
Old 02-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
toby

Have them on my Coupe for about 4 years. Last summer one cracked and had to replace it. They seem to be better than originals. Got them at NAPA. PN H6006 or H6006N

Last edited by toby; 02-09-2019 at 12:08 PM. Reason: add info
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #4
rotorwrench

I never had any troubles with the old 6006 bulbs being bright. On vehicles that have grounding issues, they will be dim. A lot of the new ones are halogen so those will be a bit brighter but likely use more current. I've not seen any LED types yet so I can't comment on them yet.

They should be able to make a 7-inch glass or plastic reflector housing where the LEDs or Halogen bulbs can be replaceable. These would be similar to the motorcycle lamps that have been available for years. Getting a 6-volt bulb for them might be problematic unless there is a halogen type that would fit. LEDs might need a special reflector to get the beam focused. The LEDs are usually ganged together and getting focus depends on the shape of the output pattern. I've seen a lot of modern automotive lighting that is too bright for my taste. I would hate getting flashed all the time if my dims were brighter than most high beams. I'm not a big fan of the HID lighting but it works well for aircraft landing lights.

The G-3 bulbs are a 6-inch bulb and were popular for motorcycles at one time.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-09-2019 at 12:29 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #5
tubman

Ton be specific, I have never been disappointed with the brightness of the headlights on my '51. It just seems to me that the reduced current draw and increased longevity would be worth the slight increase in price. I think I'll take the plunge.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:56 PM   #6
FireEngineMike

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I seem to recall a comment about the "modern"aiming lugs not fitting in the headlight retaining rings on some early Fords. Maybe someone can address this.

This is from a post by Ken/Alabama on Feb 15, 2018:
"The modern 6 volt headlight bulbs have the alignment tits on them that will interfere with the headlight bezel on the 40 . They can be ground off if you use lots of patience and plenty of water to keep them cool. Of course use an air grinder and don't get aggressive."

Last edited by FireEngineMike; 02-09-2019 at 04:02 PM.
FireEngineMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:01 PM   #7
tubman

Ahh! There's always something.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
supereal

I have 6 volt halogens in my '47. When first installed, they were less bright than the originals. When I ran a jumper directly from the battery to the lamp. it became very bright. Checking the circuit from the battery to the dash switch, then on to the dimmer switch, I found much of the power was lost before getting to the headlights. All the "bullet" connectors were making contact. I constructed a small terminal board using two 6 volt starter solenoids, and installed it to the headlight wiring on the left side of the radiator. Using the original wiring to run the solenoids one for bright, the other for low beam, the problem was solved. A #10 wire to the solenoids was more than enough to furnish power. The only evidence of the system is a small "clunk" as the solenoids were keyed. I had already replaced the dimmer switch and checked the dash switch. Replacing the wiring would require all the associated wiring, so my bypass was a quicker and less costly remedy. The car is now safely after dark if needed. It can be removed by just reconnecting the bullets by the headlights.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:26 PM   #9
JT FORD

Tubman, go for it and install the new halogen bulbs. I put a pair in my l950 about three years ago and love them. They are not much higher than the regular ones, draw less power, and they are brighter. Put one in and see the difference over the reg. bulb. I also have a relay on the high beams. The aiming posts are just like the regular bulbs and fit just fine, no need to grind them off.
JT FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #10
flatheadmurre

I have installed the "lucas" style 7" H4 inserts and they look fairly original with nice convex glass...you can have them with built in parking if needed.
Some of the led bulbs have a descent light beam...but so far i have found none that pass the early inspection here.
Going for 6v headlight leds are a gamble some work but on reduced power at 6v...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:45 PM   #11
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
I don't quite understand all of the hype regarding the replacement of 6v sealed beams with something from the aftermarket.
I converted my '36 coupe to 6v sealed beams shortly after I bought the car in 1952. I omitted the original switch on the bottom of the steering column in favor of a dash mounted switch and a dimmer switch on the floor. A relay was added to the system to minimize voltage drain and a '39 Ford 2 brush generator with a regulator was added in lieu of the original cut out.

I have driven my Ford over 94k during the years I have owned it in all kinds of road condition, city, rural and the open hiway, never had a problem with the lights, in fact on high beam, people that failed to dim their lights did so very quickly when I flashed my lights at them.
The bulbs that are currently on my car are G-3, G-E..
If I read this correctly, You went to a whole lot more work to improve your headlights than just replacing the bulbs?
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #12
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
If I read this correctly, You went to a whole lot more work to improve your headlights than just replacing the bulbs?

It was not a matter of just replacing the 6v reflector bulbs with sealed beams.
The system I used brought the whole electrical system up to 1940 + standards and eliminated a very troublesome switch that was located on the bottom of the steering gears. Actually, other than the '39 generator/regulator, the system I used was taken from a '40 GM vehicle.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:05 PM   #13
42guy

Like Supereal I instead used a relay controlled by the headlight switch. Use 10g wire for the feed then to dimmer switch. Works great and bulbs are brite. easy and fast job.
42guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:03 PM   #14
JSeery
Member Emeritus

If anyone is interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Headlight Relays.jpg (56.7 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Headlight Relay 2.jpg (51.1 KB, 99 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:59 PM   #15
paul2748

I always heard the Halogen's used more electricity than regular sealed beams. Wrong?
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:52 PM   #16
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
I always heard the Halogen's used more electricity than regular sealed beams. Wrong?
Everything I saw in my internet searches indicated that they use about 75% of the power of regular incandescent sealed beams. I think it may be the other way around for the older units with separate bulbs, but I didn't research that at all.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #17
grumppyoldman

I bought 2 horn relay's to wire my lights like J shows in his diagrahm. Haven't got a round tuit. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumppyoldman View Post
I bought 2 horn relay's to wire my lights like J shows in his diagrahm. Haven't got a round tuit. Al
I have no experience with using horn relays, but would have some concern because the horn relays are designed for very short current cycles. The starter relays I use are constant current relays. I believe others have used the normal short current cycle starter relays with success. Let us know how they work out.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:58 PM   #19
meric42

Just to confirm the statements above, after being sure that you have good ground connections, the single best thing you can do with your headlights is to install relays. This ensures that you will get the maximum voltage available to the light source and also reduce the stress on your wiring/light switch.

I have just fitted a vintage dual 6V relay and semi-sealed beams to my '41 Coupe. With slightly higher wattage Quartz Halogen bulbs the resulted performance is fantastic i.e. it's like driving a new car, no more dim yellow glow for me .

Here's a link to one the same as I used.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NORS-Dual-H...item56bfd47d35

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580

Last edited by meric42; 02-11-2019 at 06:10 PM.
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #20
JSeery
Member Emeritus

That's an interesting relay, I had never seen one. This is the arrangement I use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Headlight Relay Brass.jpg (58.2 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg Headlight Relay Brass 2.jpg (58.1 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 02-12-2019 at 09:35 AM.