Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #1
mobil101

Default 32 restoration question

just completing chassis restoration on 3w coupe. serial #18-2007xx
body # B520 12659. I suspect mid to late october build. It is painted
Washington Blue. Were the contrasting black belt moulding paint scheme
eliminated in late 32? The A pillar door opening trim pieces. Should the
sheet metal screws be cadmium plated or body color #8 x 3/8" ?
Is the boat tail motor driven or sparton CF horn correct ( I have both) ?
I have the rare 32 steel oil pan, but have installed the the popular
aluminum. Would either be correct? I have the correct late engine splash
pans. Which way are bolts installed nuts up or down? Is it correct on late 32
to use the transmission without late 32 inspection cover? Is (1) bulbs
head lamps correct with cowl lights? I suspect duo-lamp means dual element
high/low beam. It is a trunk model. The Murray body tag is a little rough
but legible. Thanks
mobil101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #2
TJ

Default Re: 32 restoration question

Do you have the '32 book that is put out by the Early Ford V-8 Club of America? www.earlyfordv8.org.It may answer some of your questions. The author of the book known as DavidG on this site will also help you.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #3
mobil101

Yes i have both books. Read them cover to cover several times. Just a little fuzzy
on mid/ late year transitions. Hope to finish for the Western National Meet this fall
Old 03-01-2020, 12:39 PM   #4
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobil101 View Post
Yes i have both books. Read them cover to cover several times. Just a little fuzzy
on mid/ late year transitions. Hope to finish for the Western National Meet this fall
Great to hear you will be at the WNM. Hope to see your '32 there.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:12 PM   #5
DavidG

The only change in U.S. color combinations for '32 passenger cars late in the model year was the substitution of emperor brown light and dark for winterleaf brown light and dark. So, early or late, with blue as the main body color, the moldings were black.

Not sure which moldings you are referring to in your second question, but the fasteners would only be body color if the moldings were installed before the body was painted.

Your engine number is late October production and given that there were ample engine inventories by then it is highly unlikely that your coupe was built in October. More likely it was built in November or maybe even in early December, 1932. Given that the horn change took place months earlier, the only safe choice would be the CF vibrator horn. That assumes that the front fenders you have are the ones the car was built with or exact replacements. A BF motor-driven horn will not fit properly on a late left front fender with the narrow flange at the front where the fender sits on top of the frame rail. Note the deluxe coupe on the cover of your books. That cover is that of the November, 1932 issue of the U.S. "Ford News" and that coupe definitely is equipped with the CF horn.

You could use either oil pan as the use of the steel pan did not go 100% until engine number 207866 built on November 14th, which is also likely the day the last '32 V8 engine was built.

The engine splash pans were originally installed with the heads of the bolts on top and the square nuts and lock washers underneath with rectangles of webbing between the frame rails and the pans at the attachment points.

On page 1-7 of your books in the third paragraph it is noted that starting with engine number 198978 all V8 transmission cases were the revised version with the stamped steel inspection plate similar, but smaller than that on the four-cylinder transmission cases. I have a standard Fordor V8 with an engine number below yours and it has the late case with the inspection cover (and steel oil pan).

Deluxe cars built in the U.S. were equipped with single bulbs with two filaments as the cowl lamps served as the so-called "parking" lamps.

It sounds like you are making a real effort to do it by the book (bad pun, especially coming from me). Good luck and I hope to see the finished result some day.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #6
mobil101

Thanks David; Looks like i need to use the cf vibrator horn, change the transmission,
paint the body belt mouldings black, and pen stripe in Tacoma cream. The sheet metal
screws that hold the small angle pieces on the A pillar i'll paint body color. I'm sure
i'll have some more questions later. I'll post some pictures this next week on my
progress. Richard