Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2016, 06:36 PM   #1
mhsprecher

Default Freeze your A tour

A small group of us took a short tour a few weeks ago. My TS had a water pump problem that I could not resolve, so I took my Miata. We had two roadsters. A 31 SW suffered a blown head gasket on the way and did not make the photo opp. We had a Mustang convert along for good measure. A fun trip for the end of the year. We even stopped for ice cream. Photo taken at Point of Rocks, MD. I am planning another excursion for New Year's Day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5659.jpg (112.4 KB, 203 views)

Last edited by mhsprecher; 12-27-2016 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Clarity
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:42 PM   #2
PatrickGrant

Default Re: Freeze your A tour

Beautiful cars and great title !! Question is, did you have the tops down ? Wishing you better luck on your next cruise.
PatrickGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:44 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Three blown head gaskets on one short tour by a small group! Wow, you guys must not be living right!
Maybe they are running straight H2O
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:02 PM   #4
mhsprecher

No, just one blown head gasket. I didn't proofread before posting. I fixed it for clarity. The hi comp head needed milling, apparently.

No tops down, but no side curtains. We saw traces of the first snow of the season on our trip. I should have taken my roadster, but I wimped out. Title courtesy of Tom Quigley, who was with us and wrote an article about it for our chapter newsletter. I replaced the water pump on my sedan, so I will have the right car for New Year's Day!
Old 12-28-2016, 01:14 AM   #5
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
Title courtesy of Tom Quigley, who was with us and wrote an article about it for our chapter newsletter.
Should have called it "Freeze your A OFF!! tour, haha.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:13 AM   #6
Synchro909

On our RHD cars, it's not possible to use the heaters I see on your cars but with the appropriate clothing, why can't we drive year 'round? (We don't use Salt).
When we left on our outback trip of 2013, the temperature was -5C (23F) but with warm clothing, we had a blast. The leading edge of everything, mudguards, axle, door handles, CB antenna etc were coated with ice. By lunch time, we were back to shirtsleeves but a point was proven.

Last edited by Synchro909; 01-22-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:53 AM   #7
ronn

but a point was proven.

still far warmer in Down Under then many places here in the US.
Fortunately, MD is somewhat mild and this winter has been relatively warm.
Driving in 30 degree or less weather all day can be downright bone chilling!

Looks like a good time! should have brought them hot dogs along and cooked them on the manifold!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:40 PM   #8
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
but a point was proven.

still far warmer in Down Under then many places here in the US.
Fortunately, MD is somewhat mild and this winter has been relatively warm.
Driving in 30 degree or less weather all day can be downright bone chilling!

Looks like a good time! should have brought them hot dogs along and cooked them on the manifold!
I figure the proven point is that with appropriate clothing, it isn't so bad. Chilled to the bone would happen otherwise. We were toasty warm that morning.
I experience frostier conditions whenever SHE is not happy.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:14 PM   #9
mhsprecher

It was frosty, but fun. If we go out on New Year's Day, I will share our adventure.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:45 PM   #10
CarlG

Several years ago, our first club "tour" was in the middle of May, approximately 500 miles. So when the appointed day came, it began to snow. We delayed the trip start 1 hour in hopes it would let up, then went anyway. I did not have a heater in my pickup then, and my lovely bride about froze, despite the extra clothing and blankets. Needless to say, the heater that I had bought and was sitting on the shelf in my garage got installed forthwith.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:58 PM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

You must have a pretty small club if you only attracted two Model A's! Hopefully on the next tour there will not be a Miata and a Mustang getting in where they don't belong! Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 12-30-2016 at 12:16 AM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:15 AM   #12
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

It must have been very embarrassing when your club organizes a tour and two Model A'S show up. And then to make matters worse you put the story on a global website with pictures. You have to wonder about the future of your club. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 12-30-2016 at 09:59 AM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:22 PM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Did you fix your water pump yet? Anymore outings since then?
Old 01-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #14
mhsprecher

To answer C26Pinelake, I organized the tour from a Sunday morning cars and coffee group that is mostly newer cars. I invited the Model A Club along, too, but most live in VA, so we only got one guy to join us.

I replaced my water pump and we took another cruise to Frederick, MD a couple of weeks ago. Three Model As this time, too, including mine. We had about ten cars all told, so it was a good group. I didn't plan on a good place to take a photo of everyone. Rookie planning on my part. We had one guy come up from VA and two A's from MD, incluidng the guy who blew the head gasket last time. His car is back on the road now. I am keeping an eye on the weather to see if we can schedule another before too long. We need dry weather with the salt all washed off the roads. Hopefully we can do something.

The local AACA chapter has an annual Heater Tour. I will likely join that tour when it comes up.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:20 PM   #15
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
To answer C26Pinelake, I organized the tour from a Sunday morning cars and coffee group that is mostly newer cars. I invited the Model A Club along, too, but most live in VA, so we only got one guy to join us.

I replaced my water pump and we took another cruise to Frederick, MD a couple of weeks ago. Three Model As this time, too, including mine. We had about ten cars all told, so it was a good group. I didn't plan on a good place to take a photo of everyone. Rookie planning on my part. We had one guy come up from VA and two A's from MD, incluidng the guy who blew the head gasket last time. His car is back on the road now. I am keeping an eye on the weather to see if we can schedule another before too long. We need dry weather with the salt all washed off the roads. Hopefully we can do something.

The local AACA chapter has an annual Heater Tour. I will likely join that tour when it comes up.
You guys have a great group there
Old 01-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #16
Gold Digger

I belong to a Model A club with around 75 members and never have more than 5-6 cars on tours. Everyone seems to be too old.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote