Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2017, 05:45 PM   #1
Tom Bellfoy

Default Vicky Leatherback body installation question

I need pictures to see how the body installs onto the floor sill assembly. My early leatherback was in very rough shape, the side sills were non-existant as the wood rot had completely vanished and turned into paste. The rear of the body was sitting on the bumper brackets. I now have the floor sills side assembly completed and am now ready to start fitting the steel body. The only reference that I think I have is the inner spare tire bracket which is the shorter prototype version (A-192062-AR) and I think it mounts directly to the rear floor cross sill panel.

I might add that all of the bottom portion of the body had rusted out so badly you could not tell where the metal of the bottom of the car ended except for one side in front of where the door ends where there is the bottom molding outline and its only 1/4 inch long. The very rear portion of the body was intact where the metal is folded inward and that measurement is close to 45 inches from side to side. The bottom of the cowl showed where the molding line was and the cowl is now ready for a little putty.

Measurement across the back end of the side sills is 41 inches.

If I refer to the "body wood, Leatherback and or the Steelback" drawing as supplied by the Victoria association, looking at the piece of wood named the "rear floor cross sill panel" it appears to stick out beyond the width of the side sill by approx. 2 inches on each end. To me it seems that the body's 90 deg. inward fold would attach to the underside of this wood piece which make the very rear portion the 45 inches as mentioned above. Is that correct ?:? and if so how was it attached ?

Another picture I would require is of the inner fender wells so that I can get an idea of where to install the patch panels and whether it is in line with the body or if it is indented with a spacer ?.

I also would like a Vicky owner to take a measurement for the door fitment as follows:
On the cowl where the bottom door hinge mounts, on the hinge itself to the metal piece that attaches to the wooden quarter lock pillar, this will tell me how wide the opening should be for the door with clearance.

Any pictures and measurements would be greatly appreciated as I dont have any Vicky owners near me to help.

Merry Christmas to all

Tom
Tom Bellfoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #2
Pmsqrd

Default Re: Vicky Leatherback body installation question

Contact Tom Endy and get a copy of the manual the Victoria Assos puts out. Loads on Vicki specific information including great diagrams. PM me for more information..
Pmsqrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:16 PM   #3
art ebeling

Tom, 45 across the back, nailed undeneath to wood sill. 32 at the bottom hinge to rear door pillar. Call if you need more. Art
art ebeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:34 PM   #4
art ebeling

Tom I think a better measurement to determine the door opening is between these two body mount holes, 31 1/4 inches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11612147-612F-4449-ACD4-9F097ED03D62.jpg (49.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 0691BF76-23F1-45B8-A279-DAADE828FD15.jpg (55.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg BB5445BD-8B07-4E2B-979A-0869DFC98FB9.jpg (53.2 KB, 37 views)
art ebeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:04 PM   #5
aandtman

Install your Doors and use them to set the door gap and the step at the "B" pillar as well as the upper door header and rain spout. Be sure the door gap allows for the latch hardware and bumpers. Also ensure the belt line follows straight from cowl to rear body. You will have very little adjustment after the wood is screwed and nailed. Do it all on a straight frame on jacks.
aandtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #6
john charlton

There is a most excellent video on You Tube of a 1928 Briggs leather back fordor being totally restored from the very ground up,all new wood etc etc .You will see a lot of body and interior proceedure on this video . This shop has super craftsmen . I know it is not a Victoria but a good watch anyway .

John in lovely sunny Boxing Day Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote