Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #1
firechief5215

Default Can i heat rear and make repair

We had a bearing go bad on the back of our worm drive rear on our model aa . I have most of the parts I need to make the repair. My question is the housing where I believe it is called the thrust bearing is bent up a little on the corner and I'm not sure if I can heat it and put a clamp on it and pull it back down so I can get a seal or will it crack. It is basically the corner about a 1/4 in in from where the cap bolts Im not sure if it is cast or what type of metal. Thanks For any and all help I hate to junk a good rear Sorry posted on wrong site but maybe you can help it is on a early 28 aa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0323162000 (1).jpg (131.0 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by firechief5215; 03-23-2016 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Wrong site
firechief5215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:47 AM   #2
Erik Barrett

Default Re: Can i heat rear and make repair

Heat it and bend it back down. It may sound crude, but a hammer will give better results than a clamp because of the shape of the housing and the fact a clamp will not be as effective in forcing the casting just a little past it's original position so it can spring back a little. It is cast iron, so red hot is required to soften it for bending back. When you are done with bending it, draw file the surface the thrust cap bolts onto so it is flat. After you install the cap, plaster the area of the casing halves parting line just forward of the cap with silicone sealant, as the gasket between them will have been compromised by the whole process. Make sure to pack the replacement ball thrust bearing real well with grease. It is the last thing to get oil from the rear end and may run without for a long time in a truck hat may never go fast enough to sling oil up there, such as a parade truck. Hope the repair works for you.
Fordially, Erik
Erik Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote