Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Jim Huseby

Default Tools

I reached in my tool box for a crescent wrench about a year ago and my American-made ones were gone, leaving only a couple Chinese ones. Yeah, I know, 'shouldn't have considered using a crescent on a Model A, anyway, but it was just to check steering gear lube. I couldn't stand the idea of using a Chinese tool on a Model A, so I headed out to Westlakes Hardware. No American crescents there. The tool store: nope. The farm and home store: nope. It was a depressing drive home until I saw a flea market where I bought six crescents and stocked up on American tools that I had considered too common in the past to want more of. Now I'm buying used American tools just to have and give to my sons and sons in laws. I must be getting old, 'cause I thought only old people restored old tools.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Aok

Default Re: Tools

I agree on the tools but it seems the way things are today more interested in making a profit then making a quality product.
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Rusty Homestead Fl

Tuesday I went to Sears to replace the 6 inch wire wheel on my Craftsman bench grinder. The old "Craftsman" wheel was the original, made in USA, that's been on it for 20 years that I've worn to a nub. The replacement..... a new "Craftsman" made in China. Hope it lasts as long but I'm not betting on it.
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
CarlG

I went into NAPA the other day. They had all their American made sockets on a close-out shelf. Actually picked up a couple of sizes that I had missing out of my sets. The reason they were on closeout: Being replaced by "new" made in Tiawan stuff!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
J Franklin

Once bought a nut splitter from the Harbor Freight (made in China) to remove a stubborn Ford A nut and the tool gave up into pieces. The funny thing was that it didn't even mark the nut. They promptly returned my money.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
Craig Lewis

Garage sales & swap meets are an excellent source for American made tools. Over the past few years I've picked up dozens of premium tools, usually for 50 cents to a buck each with sometimes a light coat of rust or grunge from laying in the bottom of grandpa or dad's tool box.
When estates are settled the kids very rarely have a clue what anything's worth and can't wait to liquidate and get the cash.
I started out with Craftsman tools as a teenager, but over the years most of them have gone missing or plum worn out. I'm gradually accumulating some nice stuff and although it isn't all matching brands I really couldn't care. As I find tools that clean up nice they go in my box and the old (not bad ones) go into the swap meet pile which I sell at once a year.
With a sharp eye it's not hard to pick out the quality old tools which generally just need a light scrubbing in phosphoric acid and a few drops of oil....many of my finds turn out to be brand new after the dirt is removed!
Names I find include Herbrand, Gray, Proto, Snap/on, Miller falls, Utica and Diamalloy.
Utica & Diamalloy made probably the nicest pliers and side cutters you'll ever lay hands on...watch out for them.
Gargage sales are by far the best source I've found....the sheep are just happy to get 50 cents for pritnear anything so they can rush to Wallyworld and get new offshore junk.
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
lance leblanc

Being an auctioneer, I may be just a little bias, but I have found some excellent tools at auctions. Many of the sales are liquidations of old machine shops, hardware stores and some at estate sales. Of coarse buying at auctions usually mean that you have to buy in bulk, getting much more than what you want or need. (Once bought 25 Milwaukee angle grinders for $70) But I just make a few trades, sales gifts to friends and folks resulting in many times me getting what I wanted for the right price of FREE.
Shameless plug - I will be liquidating a large sign company this Wednesday and Thursday in LA. (10/17/12) I hope to get a Lincoln welding machine and an entire pallet of rods and wire. www.hendersonauctions.com
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Homestead Fl View Post
Tuesday I went to Sears to replace the 6 inch wire wheel on my Craftsman bench grinder. The old "Craftsman" wheel was the original, made in USA, that's been on it for 20 years that I've worn to a nub. The replacement..... a new "Craftsman" made in China. Hope it lasts as long but I'm not betting on it.
Rusty,
Just because something is made in the USA doesn't mean it's infallible! Had a 10 year old Craftsman scroll saw that wore out the crankshaft & rod lookin' thingy because the cavity was NEVER packed with the light weight grease when manufactured!! Took it back to Sears with the cover off & showed them. THEY GAVE ME A BRAND NEW, MORE MODERN SAW WITH A BIG KNOB ON TOP FOR MORE INTRICATE SCROLLING!! Yey! for Sears! Bill W.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
jrelliott

I do a lot of wood working and try to buy USA tools, but the name brands Delta, Porter Cable and others have gone to foreign manufacturers. None of the older USA made tools have failed yet. You are correct that few people want QUALITY, just cheap. We have allowed Congress to set up rules that allow companies to move manufacturing offshore plus EPA, OSHA, etc. and give companies benefits for doing it. Said many years ago when this started "That this will someday come back and bite us in the rear" as there will be NO blue collar jobs. The skilled craftsmen that these jobs supported are no longer there ie model makers, tool and die makers, draftsmen( CAD designers). We are becoming a consumer nation and not a producer. Why do you think the trade deficit is so high.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
Bob-A

Cool Re: Tools

I have to admit that I have purchased some China (communist China at that...) made crescent wrenches. They were purchased from the biggest and the best big-box-store of course.... It was in a fit of weakness and I will not do it again. But the quality was not that bad
and the smaller crescents are not that numerous at yard sales, etc.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #11
kp

Bought a tire inflator w/ guage from Harbor Freight ,used it twice ,dial fell off ,sorry foreign made sh==.
kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
mass A man

To Rusty Homestead Fl-- I just went through that exact same scenario with the old Craftsman, USA made wire wheel that I had on my bench grinder for 2 years. Replaced it with a Chinese wire wheel someone had given me, (thanks,friend), and it's already half way worn down in 2 weeks. Mind you, I'm not varying the time spent with the bench grinder with either wire wheel.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #13
socalplanedoc

30 years ago we used to say the same things about Japanese-made stuff.. Now look at companies likes Sony, Toyota.. etc..
I just bought a finger brake from ShopFox, super nice machine, I've no issues with it whatsoever and it's made.. in China.
I dont like it either, I'd rather buy American but show me where I can get a 24" finger brake in the US that wont require me to get a second mortgage? or at any price for that matter?
Reality is, companies like Harbor Freight have placed tools in the hands of people that wouildn not have access to them at all otherwise (no, I'm no affiliated with them). I'm glad they are there, but I am careful about that I buy there Their quality has actually imnproved greatly in the last decade..
Until all the roadblocks put in the place of manufacturing in the US are overturned, we're going to have to accept that the world market is a reality and shop there just like we shopped in the 30's.. carefully.
Express your feelings at the ballot box.
socalplanedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
Russ/40

What's a finger brake?

Never mind, googled it.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
socalplanedoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
What's a finger brake?

Never mind, googled it.
ya, sometimes called a "Box and Pan Brake" but I've always known them as finger brakes.
socalplanedoc is offline   Reply With Quote