Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2020, 07:07 PM   #1
Don S

Default Shock absorber parts

I have 4 shocks just like this that have been on my car for a very long time. I bought them in the mid 80's ,but now one is leaking. I took the right rear one off to check ,removed the reservoir plug, and the adjustment needle . I then drained all the fluid out, lots of little bits of what appears to be rubber was in the fluid. A magnet did not find any metal in the fluid. I am wondering first about the cover,Ford logo cover etc., and the needle in the picture. What I have seen in catalogues look like one piece, but mine is definitely two pieces , not broken in half. So the issue is , are these 36 year old shocks worth rebuilding ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (40.3 KB, 140 views)
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:21 PM   #2
1930-Pickup

Default Re: Shock absorber parts

I can't help you with that one.
I gave up with the stock-style shocks.
I went Stipe.
Stipe's look stock, but they are much better.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:22 PM   #3
Don S

I was snooping through the achieves and came across a response on MG shocks on ModelA's, dated 11-27-2011 complete with pictures of the exact shock absorber as pictured in my thread . The member at the time said that those shocks were manufactured by Pete Buciak of Chicago . So now I know who made them,maybe some of our senior members will as well. Thanks Don
Old 08-26-2020, 07:49 PM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

John Holland rebuilds them, did mine, he is a wealth of knowledge and is willing to talk with you. Try him, is old school and only uses the phone, no texting or computer.

330-483-3896
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:44 PM   #5
GRutter

Those are not original Model A Shocks. They were patented in 1971 and produced in Chicago. Very similar to Model A Shocks in construction and operation. Not sure if they use the same seals as the originals. Attached is the info I have on them, which includes exploded views that may be helpful. I would assume they are repairable.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf US3613842.pdf (401.5 KB, 94 views)
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:19 AM   #6
Don S

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks for your replies . 30Closed Cab Pu, did John Holland rebuild original shocks or the shocks in my picture ? GRutter. ,The patent file is very interesting,the exploded views compared to the original Houdille shocks is quite different. I wonder what Henry thought about Pete using the Ford logo on his non Ford authorized or "gyp" parts ?
Don
Old 08-27-2020, 03:00 AM   #7
Hoogah

Looking at the patent for the Buciak shocks, I was interested to note that the only country external to USA where these were patented was Australia. I wonder why?
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:37 AM   #8
EJohnson72

I'd say it's not worth fixing them anymore. It's better to buy a new one. Have you looked at oneillvintage? I haven't bought anything from them, but maybe someone else did and can say a word or two about that site?
EJohnson72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:28 AM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Thanks for your replies . 30Closed Cab Pu, did John Holland rebuild original shocks or the shocks in my picture ? GRutter. ,The patent file is very interesting,the exploded views compared to the original Houdille shocks is quite different. I wonder what Henry thought about Pete using the Ford logo on his non Ford authorized or "gyp" parts ?
Don

Originals. He told me that others including the Chicago ones are not rebuildable. He also has guidelines on original. check with him, I believe he said at that time. If I remember correctly the shafts must rotate, and the shafts can't wobble. I had a box of old rusty ones, cleaned up them up with a wire wheel so i could see if the were marked AC, or CW. Sent him 8 of them to get 4 good ones back.

I believe he said only the originals and Stipes are rebuildable - check with him.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #10
37 Coupe

As soon as someone post about Model A shocks with a picture and you see Chicago I think I have never seen a good one that doesn't leak or at least work. I gave up on ones I had a bought a set of Stipe shocks.I think they are the best reproduced item that in 55 years of old Fords I have ever seen.Right up there is the Stromberg 97 carb from England not Speedway China ones.