Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
cdubs

Default Sooo many 1938 ford pickup questions

I bought a 38 pickup a month ago and keep finding things I once thought were just misc parts thrown together for a frankenstein truck... But now I keep seeing them on other truck pics....

Why is there a key lock on the passenger side door and not the drivers side?

What do the wiper controls look like? Anyone have pics?

Is there a way to put new seals on the rear end with having to sacrifice your first born child?

What is the largest width tire I can buy for factory 16 inch wheels?

Did they come from the factory with 4 or 3 speed transmissions?

What kind of horn did these trucks have and where was it mounted?

I have a million more questions but it's late and I currently cant think of anymore...

If anyone has pics of any of these thing, it would be most helpful!
cdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
Mart

Default Re: Sooo many 1938 ford pickup questions

Door lock on pass side only to doscourage exiting the car into passing traffic, or something like that.
People regularly run 7.50:16's on early ford 4" rims.
Not necessarily strictly correct, but it seems to work.

Not too sure on the other stuff.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:07 AM   #3
Barry WNY

The grease seal is in the hub, just have to get a fancy puller to get to it. If it is leaking oil in there from around the axles, you will have to take it ALL apart, big deal, but I here stories about a seal with correct dimensions that will press in from the outside, worth a try. If it is leaking, I would make sure the bearings & surfaces are good, if not it will be a complete tear down for sleeves.
Barry WNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
flat-v8

The 38' P\U's were basically like the cars, 85 HP engine, 3 speed transmission, cable brakes, not rods, vacuum wiper motor in header panel with 2 knob stems sticking out of header cover plate, one is on & off (push\pull) & speed control, (twist in slow, twist out faster) Unlike the 35'-37' trucks, I'm pretty sure the horn is mounted inside the engine area under the hood, thru the steering shaft, the horn rod & button are at the end of the steering gear & thru the bakelite headlight contact plate, in the center of the contact plate is a soldered wire to the horn.
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
39portlander

Well, you will get some good input for your restoration. Please join the 38/39 social group, that's were we hide out

Get Mack Hil's book Ford Pickups 32-52 lot's of great pick's. As far as transmission, Mac vanpelt's book "in's & out's" early ford transmission. O'l Ron's book is on my list and there are others out there.

In your area find were the local early ford club meet's and you will find people who are in this hobby and give you straight answeres. Find a flathead guy in your area. I'm blessed to have Walt Dupont close buy. Post a Flathead question and I know he has an answer.

When ever possible have your original stuff rebuilt by the American Craftsmen out there. Skip Haney for your H20 pump's and coils, Dist. Bubba's ignition. Robert Shewman, gadgiteer@ aol.com, nice flex fuel hose W/ built-in check valve ect., ect.

I could go on for awhile but as you read and post on the site you will realize the company your with and it's pretty damn good!! Scott
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
oldandtired

If you could post a picture or two, it would help to identify parts and maybe help you out a bit. In 38, I believe they made 1/2, 3/4, and 1-ton pickups. The answers to the questions change a bit depending upon which pickup it is.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
Seth Swoboda

Just a note here, Dad and I just recently put 6.50x16's radial tires (Coker Classic's) on our 39 pickup. The 6.50x16 tire is just a little taller, about .4 inches taller, then the 6.00x16 tire. The 6.50x16 tire will fit a little snug on your spare tire carrier if you plan on running the side mounted spare. The tire wants to rub the cab corner and the dimple in the fender. Just something to think about.

Half ton trucks came with a 3 speed transmission. Bigger trucks came with a 4 speed transmission. If you have a 4 speed in a half ton you probably will want to find a 3 speed. The 4 speed's 1st gear is extremely LOW.

The horn question I have found is still up for debate. I can tell you on my 39 pickup I have a single "beep" horn mounted on the inner fender panel, drivers side.

The other guys have answered your questions well. One other thing you can do is purchase the Ford Chassis Parts 1928-1948 book. Also called the "green book". It's worth every penny.

Seth
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
ford38v8

Pull your rear drums and inspect the leak you speak of. If it is grease rather than oil, you don't need new seals. Look on the backing plates for a grease zerk fitting. This fitting was one of Ford's bad ideas, and should never be greased. It was intended to serve the wheel bearings, but in practice, it just oozes out onto your brakes. Oil on your brakes means a bad seal, grease means someone used that zerk fitting.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
V12Bill

Horn was mounted in the center of the front cross member and under the radiator. It is just a single beep type horn. Four speed trans was available as an option. Low gear was a stump puller and the other 3 gears did not have a syncro and had to be double clutched.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
Horn was mounted in the center of the front cross member and under the radiator. It is just a single beep type horn. Four speed trans was available as an option. Low gear was a stump puller and the other 3 gears did not have a syncro and had to be double clutched.
I have often thought that is where it should be located. It makes access to the horn on the 38-39 pickups difficult.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
cdubs

Talking Re: Sooo many 1938 ford pickup questions

Thanks alot everyone, I really appreciate all the responces! I'm def going to join that club too!
cdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
Clem Clement

I put an ahooga horn in mine. I mounted it where the regular horn should be. It gets attention!
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
I put an ahooga horn in mine. I mounted it where the regular horn should be. It gets attention!

So 'THAT'S' how you get so many womens, they obviously can't resist the ahooga 'horn'...
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote