Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
Blu Dice

Default Coolant overflow

This is not making any sense. My '50 Ford with the V8 is acting rather strange. A couple weeks ago I changed the coolant after removing the heater and bypass hoses. Now it seems to blow out coolant out the overflow whenever it chooses. By this I mean today I drove all over town stopping and going running errands, and when I got finished and parked her in the garage the coolant level was fine. Well after lunch we decided to take a drive, a 60 mile round trip out to the country running about 55 - 60 mph. When we returned about a pint of coolant had gone into the overflow. The car runs perfect, no over heating, no smoke, has the correct radiator cap that's about a year old. I made sure that there is no air pockets after the fluid change, and I can see the coolant flowing pertectly as it is running. I have the coolant level just above the coils in the radiator. I did a compression test yesterday, and except for #5 at 70 pounds the rest around 90# the same as it tested a couple years ago. Prestone antifreeze with 50/50 mix is what I always use for coolant - so what are your thoughts - just live with it or ???
Blu Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
G.M.

Default Re: Coolant overflow

It is either the pressure cap is not working or not seating down at the seat about 1" down in the neck. If they are OK it's a slight compression leak which Barrs heavy duty stop leak should take care of. A bad compression leak push larger amounts of water out. G.M.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Blu Dice

I just bought a new cap and some Barrs - wish me luck.
Blu Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
G.M.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Blu, When you put the Barrs in let it run until it warms up with the CAP OFF filling the radiator up to the neck as it gets low. This will get all the air out of the system. Put the cap on and run or drive the car until it gets good and hot. Let it sit over night WITHOUT removing the cap. Sitting over night the few pounds of pressure sealed in the system will forse the barrs into any small weep holes. Let us know how it works. G.M.