Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2022, 12:43 PM   #1
petehoovie

Default The holy grail of hot rods...

This ’32 Ford roadster features the holy grail of hot rods: an Ardun flathead, quick-change rear and a ’39 3-speed box.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 12:59 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: The holy grail of hot rods...

The Best of the Holy Grail would have a blower and a fold down chopped top.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/03/19...ardun-head-v8/

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-10-2022 at 01:15 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 01:37 PM   #3
cas3

I like Pete's version better
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 02:54 PM   #4
deuce_roadster

I have driven a friend's 33 3w with an Ardun conversion with Webers and it reminded me alot of a really hot SBC or SBF, tached up extraordinarly quick. Wish I had deep enough pockets to build an engine with Ardun heads for my avatar.
deuce_roadster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 03:44 PM   #5
solidaxle

So Pete, What's the story?
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 04:07 PM   #6
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
I like Pete's version better
I'd agree. It's not as schizophrenic as the red one and is much more cohesive.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 05:49 PM   #7
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
The Best of the Holy Grail would have a blower and a fold down chopped top.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/03/19...ardun-head-v8/
You have to re-mortgage your house to get a good Scott blower.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:56 PM   #8
Ronnieroadster

How about Blue with and without a top plus a Big SCOT blower.
Ronnieroadster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0241.JPG (32.9 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3126.JPG (44.7 KB, 104 views)
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:52 PM   #9
tomcarman

Apples to oranges but Hotrod or not I prefer the look of a full fendered roadster. All shown examples are top notch though. I like 'em all but a stock looking '32 roadster floats my boat the best. Just my opinion.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 02:21 AM   #10
ford38v8

Hiboy with a Duvall, cycle fenders, Moons, and tuck & roll.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:54 AM   #11
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Hiboy with a Duvall, cycle fenders, Moons, and tuck & roll.
"The Holy Grail of Hot Rods"! For anyone that knows what one of those MIGHT REALLY be, that is one hell of a MOUTHFULL of descriptive jargon. I knew this afternoon when this thread popped-up that any proper acknowledgement was going to require more than a few words about SOME prominently celebrated '32 Ford, The requisite 'Deuce Roadster' more than likely, probably equipped with some of the more-well-known and legendary goodies such as the aforementioned ARDUN heads, along with the required S.Co.T blower, and maybe a Halibrand quickie out back, and of course a set of those elusive, yet crummy, Kinmont "Safety Stop" Brakes. And yup, there were dozens and even hundreds of these types built back in the ages, some with eternal prominence in the hot rod world for one reason or another, and others that probably never should have been assembled in the first place.

In MY feeble opinion-for what that may be worth, there probably is NO single "Holy Grail" hot rod. But any car worthy of that consideration MUST be an old Ford to start with, as I truly believe that any bona fide 'hot rodder' is going to insist that the first, and any subsequent REAL hot rods were created from Henry's finest junkyard stock. My imagination and memories tend to place that Holy Grail rod as coming from a time period somewhere before the early 1960s, and usually favoring a legitimate 1940-ish through the very early '50s time period. But other years MAY also apply! In my case, this unbelievable time machine from 1955 just wreaks with Holiness. I am NOT a "T" guy, but these old 'phone booth' Ts always kind'a made my heart go 'pitter-patter'.

The car pictured below belongs to a H.A.M.B. regular who goes by "Mark Moriarity". He describes this "T" as being built in 1955. The perfect, uncut body rests on a shortened '32 chassis and runs with a '47 flathead, and a column shifted 3-speed. The traditional Ford wheels and '41 hub caps wrapped with outrageous, perfectly-sized and era-correct wide WW tires just accents the time period perfectly. A lot of thought went into blending all of the parts of this car to capture what appears to be a well-thought-out package that likely even caught the eye of those that came across it back in the '50s & '60s. I can only imagine this car being one step above and beyond what it represented back in the day (and now) if it might have had a 331" Caddy up front instead of the flathead. I know that I would have no problem being 'seen' in that rig....talk about "Stylin' "! That thing would go perfectly on the front of an "AMT" plastic model box. DD

It would be SNUG cruisin' with your 'Honey' in this baby!

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:23 AM   #12
Fordors

I’ll take the black one, less is more. The red car has too much gingerbread for my taste and even worse there are mixed themes in the build. Is it a roadster for cruising or does it want to be a race car? Hilborn injection on the street? Not practical and a tuning nightmare. And as far as roadability goes the builder should learn about scrub radius.
Old 02-11-2022, 11:47 AM   #13
aandkt

Pete's car is Ford Barn all the way. Love it!
aandkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 02:37 PM   #14
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
"The Holy Grail of Hot Rods"! For anyone that knows what one of those MIGHT REALLY be, that is one hell of a MOUTHFULL of descriptive jargon. I knew this afternoon when this thread popped-up that any proper acknowledgement was going to require more than a few words about SOME prominently celebrated '32 Ford, The requisite 'Deuce Roadster' more than likely, probably equipped with some of the more-well-known and legendary goodies such as the aforementioned ARDUN heads, along with the required S.Co.T blower, and maybe a Halibrand quickie out back, and of course a set of those elusive, yet crummy, Kinmont "Safety Stop" Brakes. And yup, there were dozens and even hundreds of these types built back in the ages, some with eternal prominence in the hot rod world for one reason or another, and others that probably never should have been assembled in the first place.

In MY feeble opinion-for what that may be worth, there probably is NO single "Holy Grail" hot rod. But any car worthy of that consideration MUST be an old Ford to start with, as I truly believe that any bona fide 'hot rodder' is going to insist that the first, and any subsequent REAL hot rods were created from Henry's finest junkyard stock. My imagination and memories tend to place that Holy Grail rod as coming from a time period somewhere before the early 1960s, and usually favoring a legitimate 1940-ish through the very early '50s time period. But other years MAY also apply! In my case, this unbelievable time machine from 1955 just wreaks with Holiness. I am NOT a "T" guy, but these old 'phone booth' Ts always kind'a made my heart go 'pitter-patter'.

The car pictured below belongs to a H.A.M.B. regular who goes by "Mark Moriarity". He describes this "T" as being built in 1955. The perfect, uncut body rests on a shortened '32 chassis and runs with a '47 flathead, and a column shifted 3-speed. The traditional Ford wheels and '41 hub caps wrapped with outrageous, perfectly-sized and era-correct wide WW tires just accents the time period perfectly. A lot of thought went into blending all of the parts of this car to capture what appears to be a well-thought-out package that likely even caught the eye of those that came across it back in the '50s & '60s. I can only imagine this car being one step above and beyond what it represented back in the day (and now) if it might have had a 331" Caddy up front instead of the flathead. I know that I would have no problem being 'seen' in that rig....talk about "Stylin' "! That thing would go perfectly on the front of an "AMT" plastic model box. DD.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:09 PM   #15
scicala

Does anyone know of a SCOT blower for sale ? I have a friend in southern Maine looking for one for a '32 roadster project.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:59 PM   #16
deuce_roadster

With modern casting methods, CNC mold making, seems like those wouldn't be that hard to remake. They did it with the Ardun heads many years ago. I'm sure somebody could do it now easier. I bet several here would chip in a few K to make it happen. (I could)

Oh, I see Navarro is already doing this. I bet it costs them about 4k for what they are selling.

Last edited by deuce_roadster; 02-11-2022 at 11:55 PM.
deuce_roadster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 11:50 PM   #17
Tinker

Are we talking strip or street? It's hard to pick one overall winner.

Some really get charged up sometimes. All I do is just keep a couple of old fords on the road. That is an impressive 32.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 10.49.05 PM.jpg (15.8 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Tinker; 02-12-2022 at 12:52 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 11:52 PM   #18
Tinker

This guys build is an older one but a fun one.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...search.308741/
Old 02-11-2022, 11:56 PM   #19
Tinker

Mark Moriarity is very impressive. Even his lawn mowers are impressive.

One tour I found....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOPPKt-7LB0

Last edited by Tinker; 02-12-2022 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-12-2022, 05:11 PM   #20
37 truck

This 32 is just perfect, great stance, very little in the way of restoration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140920_131928.jpg (118.4 KB, 119 views)
37 truck is offline   Reply With Quote