Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #21
wayne1426

Default Re: Anyone tried the Lucas-recommended mix of 80W-90 and Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer?

I promised to report back on putting the Lucas mix into my transmission and the report is that it made no difference at all in the grinding of the gears. They still grind just great!
wayne1426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #22
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Anyone tried the Lucas-recommended mix of 80W-90 and Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Pat,

So hilarious for some!

You asked one (1) simple & direct question for specific results of blending only two (2) specific petroleum products.

Numerous different comments with not one (1) answer even coming close to your question for this specific blend.

Some may not look at these comments like this, but for some, these non-answers are almost like a comedy program.

Similar to a newly-wed housewife asking for a recipe to make biscuits, & she gets multiple forum answers on how to make corn bread or fry eggplants with a batter. Maybe not noticeable, but happens often on all Forums
It comes from wanting to help no matter what.
I know that I have picked up great tips from the "off topic" postings.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #23
Brobrian

We've been discussing this for a while now. I too have been experimenting. Since the Lucas rep recommended against straight Hub Oil in the trans and diff. I mixed up 50/50 hub oil and 600w from Snyders. Only been a few miles, but it's not as quiet as with straight Hub Oil. Still, quieting the gears isn't the only factor we're looking for. We've mentioned preventing foaming, slowing leaks, and, of course, we'd have to run each mixture for many miles to see if there are differences in wear on gears.
I'll stick with the 509/50 mix I've got now for a year and see what happens.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #24
Texas Tom

I'm restoring a 1930 fordor and am about three months away from being able to drive it. I've restored the trans and differential, and am considering using Lucas Oil Stabilizer mixed (50:50?) with Lucas 90-140 gear oil (rather than Lucas 40-90 oil) for both the trans and rear end.

Has anyone tried this combination?

I recall that the late Roger Kaufman used to advise in his tech column in MARC's magazine that he used 100% STP in his trans, had been doing it for several years, and was extremely satisfied with the result. Don't recall if he used STP in his differential.
Texas Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #25
jmeckel

I just put 100% LUCAS heavy oil stablizer in my Tudor's transmission, only had time to drive it 4 miles between thunderstorms. Seemed very good. Will see how it works after a much longer drive.

"If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice!" RUSH

Don't tell me what you know..... Tell me what you have done.
jmeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #26
Louis

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Tom View Post
I'm restoring a 1930 fordor and am about three months away from being able to drive it. I've restored the trans and differential, and am considering using Lucas Oil Stabilizer mixed (50:50?) with Lucas 90-140 gear oil (rather than Lucas 40-90 oil) for both the trans and rear end.

Has anyone tried this combination?

I recall that the late Roger Kaufman used to advise in his tech column in MARC's magazine that he used 100% STP in his trans, had been doing it for several years, and was extremely satisfied with the result. Don't recall if he used STP in his differential.
Mr. Kaufman did use stright STP in his trans. and diff. for 125000 miles with no problems,
[From his tech. column]
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #27
mngreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeckel View Post
I just put 100% LUCAS heavy oil stablizer in my Tudor's transmission, only had time to drive it 4 miles between thunderstorms. Seemed very good. Will see how it works after a much longer drive.
I am going to try doing this also over the weekend; please report back your findings and I will do likewise.

Thanks!

Mike Green
mngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #28
mngreen

Well, I drained my tranny and differential and replaced the old 600W with 100% Lucas heavy oil stabilizer.

Results? No difference at all from 600W.

Maybe it will not leak as much though! Next time straight 600W for me.
mngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #29
MALAK

I'm running Mobilgear 600 XP 680 with about 1 pint Lucas oil stabilizer mixed in. I just recently added the Lucas to the gear oil and noticed a slight improvement. Personally I can't imagine any better shifting in a straight cut, un-syncronized transmission.

I asked this question in another thread and got no response so I'll ask it here:
Can anyone give a good reason why such a heavy oil is being used in the differential?
MALAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #30
Terry, NJ

In a synchromesh transmisson it wouldn't be necessary. These are straight cut, non synchro gearboxes and the heavy oil slows the gears down while you shift. Oils as light as ATF have been used in modern, synchromesh, helically cut gear, transmissions with no problems. This helps gas mileage immensely, but it would probably be very difficult to shift.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALAK View Post
I'm running Mobilgear 600 XP 680 with about 1 pint Lucas oil stabilizer mixed in. I just recently added the Lucas to the gear oil and noticed a slight improvement. Personally I can't imagine any better shifting in a straight cut, un-syncronized transmission.

I asked this question in another thread and got no response so I'll ask it here:
Can anyone give a good reason why such a heavy oil is being used in the differential?
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #31
western77

I put the Lucas 80-90w and oil stabilizer mixed 1:1 in the transmission, drove 1300 miles and can't see any difference in shifting from the 600w oil from Snyders. JB
western77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #32
MALAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
In a synchromesh transmisson it wouldn't be necessary. These are straight cut, non synchro gearboxes and the heavy oil slows the gears down while you shift. Oils as light as ATF have been used in modern, synchromesh, helically cut gear, transmissions with no problems. This helps gas mileage immensely, but it would probably be very difficult to shift.
Terry
Thanks for the response Terry but I think you misunderstood my question. I completely get why the heavy oil is necessary in the transmission but not the differential (rear axle). The internal construction of a Model A differential is similar to that of a modern auto. Hypoid ring/pinion and bevel cut axle gears mated to a spider. No shifting involved. So why the heavy oil?

Last edited by MALAK; 06-25-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Add info
MALAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #33
columbiA

I find that if you master the art of double clutching,there will be no gear grinding wether you use the 600w from the vendors or a 140 gear oil. 90 gear oil is fine for rear ends.Years ago when I used A,s as daily drivers,I would use140 in the trans for summer & 90 in the winter.If you tried to use 600 W in-30* temps,you would stall the engine when you let out the clutch.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #34
Terry, NJ

Yeah, I realized that, was going to change it and the phone rang then I went to eat to eat. The answer is (AFAIK)to keep the oil away from the brakes ????
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALAK View Post
Thanks for the response Terry but I think you misunderstood my question. I completely get why the heavy oil is necessary in the transmission but not the differential (rear axle). The internal construction of a Model A differential is similar to that of a modern auto. Hypoid ring/pinion and bevel cut axle gears mated to a spider. No shifting involved. So why the heavy oil?
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #35
oldredford

I reduced all my gear grinding with a Mitchell syncro transmission. Hope this helps.
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #36
eagle

If you shift up at low RPMs and double clutch when downshifting, you can eliminate grinding. Read the original owner's manual! I use hub oil and the trans is as smooth as glass. The hub oil did fade somewhat after about 200 miles but still, whenthe gears slide in, the "click" is not at all harsh like it was. MUCH better than the 600W I bought from Mac's. Night and day difference really. When I change it out next year I will use the stabilizer.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #37
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobrian View Post
We've been discussing this for a while now. I too have been experimenting. Since the Lucas rep recommended against straight Hub Oil in the trans and diff. I mixed up 50/50 hub oil and 600w from Snyders. Only been a few miles, but it's not as quiet as with straight Hub Oil. Still, quieting the gears isn't the only factor we're looking for. We've mentioned preventing foaming, slowing leaks, and, of course, we'd have to run each mixture for many miles to see if there are differences in wear on gears.
I'll stick with the 509/50 mix I've got now for a year and see what happens.
So wait,

A sales person from Lucas recommended against using only a product from another manufacture? I find that hard to believe....

MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #38
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbiA View Post
I find that if you master the art of double clutching,there will be no gear grinding wether you use the 600w from the vendors or a 140 gear oil. 90 gear oil is fine for rear ends.Years ago when I used A,s as daily drivers,I would use140 in the trans for summer & 90 in the winter.If you tried to use 600 W in-30* temps,you would stall the engine when you let out the clutch.
Being I know little about this subject, but this comment seems to be the way things should be. It is an "art" to double clutch.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #39
BILL WILLIAMSON

My Lord, I can't believe all this gobbeldy gook I've just read! We're not going to "re-engineer" the shifting characteristics of a Model A by some witch's brews! The secret to shifting is just to be patient & wait. Why waste gas & power just churning around un-needed GOO!
Some "brews" remind me of a bartender trying to cover up the awful taste of some of his "HOOCH!" Bill W.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #40
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
My Lord, I can't believe all this gobbeldy gook I've just read! We're not going to "re-engineer" the shifting characteristics of a Model A by some witch's brews! The secret to shifting is just to be patient & wait. Why waste gas & power just churning around un-needed GOO!
Some "brews" remind me of a bartender trying to cover up the awful taste of some of his "HOOCH!" Bill W.
its called reinventing the wheel
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote