Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2021, 10:08 AM   #1
OsoFord

Default 33 Ford BB

Originally posted on another thread
Hi All,
I'm new to Forums and this site, so sorry if I'm in the wrong place.
I work as a fleet manager for someone who has a 33 BB with the 8 cylinder flat head. The information I have is this is stock and was rare as it normally has a 4 cylinder. He purchased it several years back and had a half way restoration on it. It currently has fuel problems. I found debris and rust in the fuel tank, lines, pump and carb. The tank has been sent out to Rock Valley in Illinois, to be rebuilt in stainless. I've taken on the rest and have started with the fuel pump. I ordered a rebuild kit from Dennis Carpenter and a few problems have come up. The pump is the early model with NO glass bowl. Dennis Carpenter says there is only the 2 early pumps. My pump has different check valves they are not in a brass housing and the filter has 2 holes not one. I've run into a few differences between the BB and B models. Is there another kit to purchase? Could I replace this pump with the one sold on the B model? any help would be great thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel pump.jpg (37.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel pump2.jpg (52.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg fuel pump7.jpg (55.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg fuel pump6.jpg (42.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1603.jpg (36.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg motor1.jpg (44.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg motor.jpg (48.4 KB, 54 views)
OsoFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:05 PM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: 33 Ford BB

OsoFord
Your pictures are fuzzy BUT you fuel pumps appears to be a 35-36 fuel pump and stand, Again the photos are blurry but your Carb looks to be maybe be a 48??? Still hard to tell. You should be able to look on the housing of the carb and it will tell you!! 48, 97 etc etc
What is it the owner wants to accomplish with the truck?
As Ford built it/Concourse correct???

Fix what you have there to work with now?

That will help us all to advise and help you!!

As I said previous, the engine & bits are of a “later” variety SO ordering stuff for a 33 is counter productive at this point!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:41 PM   #3
OsoFord

The owner wants to keep, original as possible. When I say original I mean to the pictures. If the pump is a 35-36 that's fine, I'll find the parts to repair it. Were not interested in finding a 33 pump or Concourse correct, however I'm not slapping any old parts on it. I wont put an electric pump on the truck. The appearance of original is what we are looking for. The carb is next I'll post better pics when it off the truck. If anyone knows of a better source to get parts then Mac or Dennis Carpenter for this truck please let me know. Someone mentioned sending the pump out to CharlieNY for rebuilding I will keep him in mind but the owner wants to do as much in house as possible. Even though he is not doing the work, he would like to see the process and get his hands dirty once in a while. Thanks for all the input.
OsoFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 02:13 PM   #4
DavidG

As Robert indicates, the subject '33 BB has a variety of substituted parts from the cast iron intake manifold (likely '35), carburetor ('36+), fuel pump ('34-early/mid-year '36), fuel pump stand ('35+), oil filler tube ('32-'34), and water pumps ('35, at least the left one), to possibly the cylinder heads ('34 if the cast-in number begins with '40, '35-'36 if the cast-in number begins with '48'). As he also indicates, it would not be the least bit unusual if the engine had been changed with a complete rebuilt long block somewhere along the way in the ensuing 88 years of its existence.

If on the front of the cylinder block there are a pair of cast iron oval (actually a rhombus with rounded corners) plates bolted on book-ending the timing gear cover the engine short block is a '37-early '38, the rebuilding candidate favored after 1937.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:12 PM   #5
rockfla

OsoFord
I was the one who suggested Charlie for the fuel pump and carburetor. IF you are not familiar with the signs, issues and a few tell tail signs with them IT is best advised to send it to someone who knows them inside and out (like Charlie OR Mike Driskel at Third Gen Automotive (another great parts source and great guy to help, Mike at Third Gen)). That’s also why I said IF you are going to send the carb off to Charlie or Mike you might as well include your fuel pump AS they have the goods for today’s modern gas!!! Call Mike and now you know better what you have and he will get you set up!! Good luck and keep your post & questions coming and don’t be afraid to ask!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:56 PM   #6
alanwoodieman

elswhere on this forum is a man working on a 32 dump truck, he may be of some help as he is further along than you. also it helps to give a location as a "barner" may be near by and could help you positively ID parts. wish you were near me in upstate SC
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:13 PM   #7
sugarmaker

The dump truck guy might be me!
Not sure I am much farther along, but will try to help any way I can. I am pretty new to these early trucks.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:57 AM   #8
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Just my experiences . .A/C pumps, AC I think owned by General Motors . when researching pumps for my 34 yes 1934 ,from what I have read this pump started from Jan the top part of body measures 1.7/8 not as wide as a 36 pump . On my 34 .I have run this pump for many years a very good pump in my opinion ,by the look of your pump the diaphragm is nice and supple ,Just this week we worked on a Ford Anglia that had fuel problems so I looked through my container and fished out a diaphragm ( I keep in a Diesel soaking container when this fuel dries out so does the diaphragm) ,and we fitted that, it started right up .A electric is good for a back up, but I like the original pump ,set up with correct rod length ,NOS kit ect a thorough inspection and pressure and vacuum test is essential to bring the pump back to good health .Others may have other opinions .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01Jan2005_2543.jpg (33.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 01Jan2005_2167.jpg (38.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 01Jan2005_2541.jpg (56.1 KB, 21 views)

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 07-18-2021 at 01:47 AM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote