Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2022, 09:07 PM   #1161
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Al, Folks,
I took the wiper motor off and have it apart and cleaned most of the components. Looks like i have a gasket that is 90 years old! I dont plan on taking the truck out in the rain. But my luck it will happen.
The paddle has some issues. and the housing has some issues. I can now see what David is talking about. Not sure it will seal and operate?

I also chiseled out the hard old rubber from the bottom door seal track on the drivers side.

Tomorrow will work on the passengers side. That is the bad door. Will see!
Hope things are good in Ford land!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 02-03-2022 at 09:24 PM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:43 PM   #1162
DavidG

Chris,

If you haven't done so already, take a photo of the back of the motor so you'll know how the various components go together for reassembly and then disassemble those components and lift out the shaft and paddle assembly to assess their condition. Some wiper motor die cast zinc components tend to blister with age. If there are blisters within the back and forth sweep of the paddle they may prevent a good seal, even if the leather on the edges of the paddle is in good condition.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:22 AM   #1163
sugarmaker

David,
We have some blisters! Not a good judge of the severity yet. Yes I took a bunch of pictures. Hopefully the right ones to get it back together. Should be a fun project. Well the learning part anyway. The edges of the paddle seem to not be in great shape too. I will play with it a little and do some clean up and tuning. And then maybe put it back together and try it??
My gut feel is that it will need rebuild/ replace of the sealing components.

Very odd screw heads on here. Never seen anything like those:

The switch plate:

Not cleaned up yet. edges seem loose. Bond of the leather to the brass may have let go if there was a bond??

Still learning here! Hope things are good in Ford Land!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 02-04-2022, 09:46 AM   #1164
DavidG

Chris,

Judging from your helpful photos, your paddle looks to be reusable and I don't see any serious blisters on the inside surfaces. The slanted round protrusion on the underside of the top should be dressed down a bit to ensure a good seal up against the round seal riveted to the paddle (which appears to be okay). Once everything is cleaned up, if you haven't damaged the old gaskets, you can satisfy yourself that all you need are new gaskets by reassembling everything using a liberal coating of Vaseline on all sides of the paddle perimeter, inside the swept area, and on the round seal. Your own lungs can provide enough vacuum to operate the motor if all is well with it.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:47 AM   #1165
GB SISSON

We just read where a guy filled cylinder wall pits with JB weld and 3000 miles later still good. JB should hold up to the swishing of a little leather paddle for our lifetime! Also, a lot of barners lube the wiper internals with brake fluid.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:30 PM   #1166
sugarmaker

Gentlemen,
Thanks you for the observations, suggestions, and testing. If the nap thing works out this afternoon like I plan, may work on that unit tonight. I did get the very hard rubber seal from the bottom of the passengers side door. As expected that door bottom area is not as good and has a small portion of the seal track missing from rust out. That door needs rebuilt!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 02-04-2022, 09:22 PM   #1167
sugarmaker

Ford folks,
Well I tried my luck at the rebuild and it seems I failed or it needs attention? Maybe I put too much Vaseline on the paddle? Seems rather stiff to turn by hand and I cant get it to move by sucking on the vacuum inlet. May try hooking it up to the truck vacuum line?
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 02-05-2022, 01:22 AM   #1168
neilp

Chris,
I am going to say it again. You need to fix the bottom of those doors. No bondo, No tar, No spray foam. Fix them right and then take a field trip to Orcas Island for a demo in patina/age match from GB Sisson and his mud puddle fountain of OLD. I am selfishly prodding you to do this as I have the same issue on my truck and I want to see how it is done. My patina problem is easier to fix than yours though. Good luck.

PML
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0927-b.jpg (69.1 KB, 47 views)
neilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:28 AM   #1169
Tinker

Truck is looking great Sugarmaker. Nice work.

Sugarmaker hmmm... You sell maple syrup online??
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:06 AM   #1170
sugarmaker

Neilp, Ford Folks,
Yes the bottom Of the door should be repaired with the bad cut out, new steel shaped and welded in place. I think there is this fine line between preserving and restoring. Thanks for the words. It may happen I have a very good friend that does this type of work. Typically restoration work. I may review this door project with him when he gets back up here in May. I think the correct way to repair this is to put in the 5 inch high patch panel that is available. My door has rust at the 4.5 inch mark above the bottom. Min is also rusted out on the bottom so a flat piece would need to be whittled out to repair that and tie in to the door skin. Assuming that all could be welded in and not warp the door. Then the issue would be the finish.
Maybe if you do yours first I can use your ideas??
Tinker,
Not here to promote or sell product. It just happens to be another hobby. I do have a on line store for ordering syrup. ( Maple and Honey.com) But we are totally out of syrup so I have no stock right now. We are a small producer and folks really seem to like our maple syrup and other maple products. Hope to be making some syrup within the next month!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 02-06-2022, 11:39 PM   #1171
Tinker

Chris, I didn't think you were here to promote your syrup. Just thought I needed some good maple syrup. .

Look forward to your updates on the truck!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:40 PM   #1172
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilp View Post
Chris,
I am going to say it again. You need to fix the bottom of those doors. No bondo, No tar, No spray foam. Fix them right and then take a field trip to Orcas Island for a demo in patina/age match from GB Sisson and his mud puddle fountain of OLD. I am selfishly prodding you to do this as I have the same issue on my truck and I want to see how it is done. My patina problem is easier to fix than yours though. Good luck.

PML
Neil, I'm just over the pass. Or two.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:14 AM   #1173
sugarmaker

Tinker, GB, Folks,
I do need to switch from everything else in life to Maple Mode. The sun rising a little in the sky and being brighter tells the old brain its time to get out into the sugarbush and get moving. Still cold, but that will soon change and I need to be ready to tap trees.

Back on the truck I need to try the windshield wiper hooked to the vacuum line on the B engine.
I also need to check with 3rd Gen on the door gaskets.
Ordered the door patch panels from Ecklers.
Trying to get all the stuff rounded up for taxes too. Tis the season.
Hope things are good in the Ford Barn!
I may not make it over to Gary's island but sure like the info he is providing about the jailbars! Keep it up!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 02-07-2022 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:13 AM   #1174
Bored&Stroked

And for you guys on the Barn that like pancakes, waffles and French Toast, try to find a way to "get in line" for some of Chris' Maple Syrup - it is GREAT stuff! It did not last long here at the Ranch in SD . . .
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:52 PM   #1175
sugarmaker

Ford Folks,
I cant get the Vacuum Wiper to work, so maybe I messed up the gaskets? Had it apart several times.
I bought a couple books from a vendor at Erie NY swap meet. They had some interesting papers inside also.
One group is about purchasing a red roadster from a company in Portland. Must have been maybe 20 years ago??

The other papers decsribe a early Ford truck maybe 33-34? Hand written details and prices. The dump truck with hydraulic lift was near the top of the pricing at $850 ish.

This book has general information and service bulletins.

Got new door hardware for the 32 door bottoms and the weather seals that slide in those tracks.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 02-11-2022 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:25 PM   #1176
al's28/33

Chris the service bulletins and the chassis parts book are great resources!! ….. maybe you need a little break from that old '32 and have some fun making syrup. There will be plenty of on-line orders for you to fill soon!!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 11:02 PM   #1177
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's28/33 View Post
Chris the service bulletins and the chassis parts book are great resources!! ….. maybe you need a little break from that old '32 and have some fun making syrup. There will be plenty of on-line orders for you to fill soon!!
I'm in. Wife wants some.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 11:39 PM   #1178
Newc

I found that the sheet metal channel for the rubber lower seal is often listed for later trucks. I'd buy those and just shorten them for my 32/34 trk doors. Same channel just not listed for all applications. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:31 AM   #1179
sugarmaker

Al, Tom, Newc, folks,
Yes the old brain is toggling over to my other hobby making syrup. It is a lot of work. All my trees are along the roads . Gravity lines bring the sap to containers. I have 30 stops , to gather sap. Pumping it from the containers into the truck tank. A sap run can be from 200 gal to 800 gal in one day.
To tie the 32 in to this hobby I just found some black walnut boards that may may nice sideboards, for the bed , with our business name painted on them.
The truck will be a part of the advertising. Just for show. Although it was used to deliver a syrup order last fall.

I did stop at the engine machine shop. Tim has the #2 cylinder sleeve in place. All cylinders are bored to .080 over. The height of the bosses where the lifters come through have been shortened to allow for adjusting the lifters easier. This engine build will be a project for mid April, into May. The plan is to set the current engine aside as a spare.

On a shop note, have set the temps down some. Maybe reduce fuel consumption a little? Also have the trap door hatch almost done. Pulleys, cable and weight to help raise and lower it. Did I need this? Probably not. But it may help reduce fuel costs by not heating the loft storage area?

Newc,
Yes these steel channels have later years on them . I assume the are spot welded to the door? The driver's side original is still pretty good. I may try to install the rubber in that one. The pass side would be replaced if and when that door was repaired.
Just trying to tighten things up in the cab area , a little. Still needs a bunch as the wind lacing is bad. How is that held in place? Haven't looked close at it yet.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 02-11-2022 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:30 PM   #1180
sugarmaker

Ford Barn Folks,
I did get my lower door patch panels from Ecklers today. Intact and in a timely fashion.
I think this would be a very good start to repairing the passengers side door skin at some point in the future. I did a quick fit up and they look like a good product. Also comes up high enough to remove the rust about 4 inches from the bottom. Just what the truck needs another project!
Was touching up paint on the F250 behind the rear wheels today. Would like to get some clear chip guard on there at some point.
Regards,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets