Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #21
hombres ruin

Default Re: The whole story of my 1936 Ford 3 window coupe "barn Find" and how I am preservin

Just beautiful.what a amazing find
Old 01-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #22
Big Z

Default Re: The whole story of my 1936 Ford 3 window coupe "barn Find" and how I am preservin

I am one of the guys that runs the Meltdown Drags. We told John Wells we would be at the Iron Invasion in Woodstock IL. October 6th. I decided I would not take my Fiat drag car down there and was just going to work our booth. Well since I had the 36 I planned on taking it after talking to John about it. So I had less than 2 weeks to get it ready to go. So the first week goes by and it now runs. Second week starts and it is time to make it run better. It ran ok but when it got hot it would die. I swapped out the Holley for a freshly rebuilt Stromberg 48. No better. I put on a new fuel pump, nothing. I drained the tank and put in fresh gas and added a fuel filter, nothing. I put in new plugs, nothing. I finally took off the distributer and the condenser was no good. I called Flatjack here on the hamb and had him rebuild a distributer. The plan was to pick it up in Oshkosh Wi on the way down to the Iron Invasion. I washed the car inside and out loaded it up and we headed down Friday Oct 5th. We swapped distributers in the parking lot at Flatjacks and the car ran 100% better.

Here is the interior after I washed it up:

Here is the engine:

We stayed overnight in Union Grove and headed out early Saturday in a caravan of trucks pulling trailers. Here we are getting gas predawn:

We made it to the invasion and had a good time. My wife went along and was not happy with the cold windy weather but she fell in love the with the 36 and it very well working heater

Here it is parked at the show:

We had fun and I even bought a hubcap for the car. We hung out with friends and had a good time.
www.meltdowndrags.com
Big Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #23
Gumpy

Very nice car and things have a way of coming around to good people,

nice find,,,,, gump

"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #24
juke joint johnny

Great Car and Story !!!! Your a lucky Man !!! What are your plans for it ?

I would keep it like it is and use it !!!

John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
Big Z

Here are the rest of the pictures from October. I really like these. This was near the end of the season. I still did not have the title and tags back yet so it did not leave the yard. I took David to the bus one day after the tags came but then I stuffed it into the garage for the winter.

www.meltdowndrags.com
Old 01-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #26
Fe26

This whole story just gets better and better. Congratulations...
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #27
Big Z

Thanks for all the comments everyone. My plans are as follows for the car:
It already runs and drives, so I want to make it run better, stop better, and be reliable. I don't plan on changing much, just fix what needs fixing.

So the first thing was to check out the brakes. They work but not perfect. I found a complete set of brakes here on the hamb that came off a restored 36. I was going to buy them if mine were shot. I finally had time and made room to jack up the car and get the wheels of of her.

When I pulled the rear drums I knew what I had from previously fixing the broken axle, so no surprises. When I pulled the front drums off, everything came apart really good because someone greased the hell out of the front brakes, not a bad grease seal, the brakes are greased. The only thing I can think of was the brakes squeaked and someone sold it and wanted them quiet many years ago. I am going to buy new woven shoes. Drums are great.

The kingpins are loose, spring bushing are shot, so I decided to pull the whole axle.

With it out I can adjust the steering box and fix the exhaust much easier.

I think I am going to clean it up and just put it all back together. I was going to paint it, but I think that takes away from the car.

Here it is sitting in the garage tonight

www.meltdowndrags.com
Old 01-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #28
Brendan

I did a brake job on my 36 pickup, I just cleaned off 76 years of grease and took a wire weal to everything. then just sprayed it down with WD40.one other thing I did was take the spring apart and ground it down so it would move again

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #29
Big Z

Well I had a little time and I disassembled the front end. I made a list of what parts I needed and talked to my buddy Willie first. I borrowed his spring spreader again and his kingpin bushing tool.
I gave him this list for parts:
Brake shoes
wheel seals
king pins
spring bushings
brake levers
brake rod rubber bushings
This is what he had laying around:

I can't believe he has nos king pin sets. The rest of the stuff I needed I bought from Mac's

Here is a shot of the wear in the spring bushing:

All apart

Installing and reaming bushings

Spindles back on

July 15-17 2016
www.meltdowndrags.com
Old 01-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #30
Conrad Rossi

What a beauty! Congrats on the new car.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #31
Big Z

I worked on the 36 some more this weekend. Sunday was a good day to be in the garage. It was below zero outside.

Since the axle was out I decided to fix a few more things like the exhaust and starter. The exhaust joint was rusted out and leaking bad. I took it apart and patched it with the base of a Ford 8n muffler pipe. Good enough for now. I will weld it later along with the holes at the joint.

I also turned the armature on the starter. It was in need of it badly.

I also finished the axle repairs. I spent 1.5 hours degreasing the axle assembly. I installed spring bushings, king pins, brake rod bushings and yoke ends. Now I need the brake shoes I ordered from Mac's to arrive.

Here it is back in:

www.meltdowndrags.com
Old 01-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #32
OLDTGUY

Congratulations on the car, great story, nice car.
OLDTGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #33
Mart

I like what you are doing to the car. I took much the same approach when I was working on my 33 recently.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #34
hombres ruin

Great progress.. What a fine ride . The 36 is such an icon. Well done on bringing back to life
Old 01-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #35
billylo

Awesome story. Love the car!
billylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #36
Mart

I notice the lh perch has a gap to the axle - my 33 was like this, were you able to deal with it ok?

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #37
Big Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I notice the lh perch has a gap to the axle - my 33 was like this, were you able to deal with it ok?

Mart.
Hey Mart, I removed the perch bolt and heated the wishbone and reinstalled it and clamped the axle tight. It seems ok now.
www.meltdowndrags.com
Old 02-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #38
fredshere

Thanks for sharing the story good luck with the car
fredshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #39
fredshere

Thanks for sharing the story good luck with the car
fredshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #40
nitrohonkey

WOW what a great find and story! 36 3 window is my absolute favorite car!
nitrohonkey is offline   Reply With Quote