Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2020, 07:57 PM   #21
AnthonyG

Default Re: Install oil filter

J & 51Merc-CT, here’s what I’m understanding. I’ll plan to install the spin on filter base w unfiltered oil coming from upper oil pressure port as is w no mod & use existing npt threaded hole. Filtered oil to be directed thru side of of oil pan w 90 degree fitting directing oil toward bottom of pan. To install restriction to maintain good oil pressure to engine I’m thinking the fitting size where the oil is going into the oil pan would be 1/4” ID feeding from filtered oil side & unfiltered oil from oil pressure port @ 1/8”ID? That should cause restriction that’d keep pressure up enough in the engine?
Old 01-03-2020, 08:13 PM   #22
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
51 Mercury-CT, Thx, got it! So ur happy w results, how many miles since conversion? I can use oil pressure port NPT threaded hole (W/O larger drill tap modification) as supply to filter if I see correctly? Looks like u use the lower ( 90 degree indexed) oil pressure port hole for ur oil pressure transducer?
For your information my setup is not a conversion such as the 95% conversion.
My setup is still a bypass oil filter system just like the factory used.
The only difference is that I adapted an Amsoil spin-on bypass filter which has the ability to filter out smaller (3 micron) particles than the original canister type filter does.
There is not any drilling or tapping involved to install this system.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 01-03-2020 at 08:20 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:55 PM   #23
Ronnie

Here is another spin on used for bypass filter situation. Quite common most of the filter mfg's will have this application. They already have a restriction orifice inside all you need is an adapter with 5/8" thread another easy to get item.

http://catalog.hastingsfilter.com/Pa...rtnumber=LF117

Ronnie
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:59 PM   #24
40cpe

You have an 8BA, so you have the tapped hole above the oil pan for a return. It should not be restricted. The supply from the engine oil gallery is from one of the ports on the rear. The supply line should be restricted with about .060" opening. Your proposal of a 1/8" restriction sounds large.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:22 PM   #25
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
J & 51Merc-CT, here’s what I’m understanding. I’ll plan to install the spin on filter base w unfiltered oil coming from upper oil pressure port as is w no mod & use existing npt threaded hole. Filtered oil to be directed thru side of of oil pan w 90 degree fitting directing oil toward bottom of pan. To install restriction to maintain good oil pressure to engine I’m thinking the fitting size where the oil is going into the oil pan would be 1/4” ID feeding from filtered oil side & unfiltered oil from oil pressure port @ 1/8”ID? That should cause restriction that’d keep pressure up enough in the engine?
As stated there has to be a .060 dia. restriction hole before the filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bypass.jpg (49.9 KB, 301 views)
Old 01-03-2020, 09:26 PM   #26
JSeery
Member Emeritus

As 40cpe & 51merc posted, the restrictor goes on the inlet side to the filter should be .060. You can purchase restrictor fittings that are used for modern turbo charger installations.

Sorry about the drill the oil pan input, I normally work with 59a blocks and missed you were using an 8ba!!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:01 PM   #27
AnthonyG

Thx all, I do finally have a clear understanding of what needs to b done & how to do it! All very informative! As usual Fordbarner’s & their Experience is great!
Old 01-03-2020, 10:47 PM   #28
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Here is an example of a restrictor. Just an example, there may be better ones out there. https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Turbo-O...-/121528353369
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11632a-1-.jpg (29.0 KB, 5 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:24 AM   #29
MGG

A couple of years ago I resurrected a 59AB style V-8 in a 1940 big farm truck. We used it last for many hours on my grandfathers farm in the 1960s. When I first changed the oil (stock by-pass system) I found NO restrictor in either the block outlet or the housing inlet. Inside the filter housing was only one .060 hole in the vertical outlet pipe. Since this is the only way the oil can get out of the filter, that had to be the restriction. Has anyone else encountered this?
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:31 AM   #30
Brian

In my opinion, having that restrictor in the outlet is a more sensible place to have it...At least oil passing through it has been filtered to 3 micron, so not gonna get clogged...
Old 01-04-2020, 07:53 AM   #31
marko39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
In my opinion, having that restrictor in the outlet is a more sensible place to have it...At least oil passing through it has been filtered to 3 micron, so not gonna get clogged...
Either place should serve the purpose but on the inlet side should reduce pressure in the canister.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #32
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
The standard replacement canister filter does not have the 3 micron filtering capabilities that the Amsoil filter does.
Every 8BA canister filter housing that I have looked at has (2) .063 dia. return holes in the center stand pipe.
This insures that excess pressure will not be built up in the canister.

Old 01-04-2020, 10:48 AM   #33
tubman

Given the O/P's situation (not a complete rebuild), I would think the best answer for him is to go with a replacement 8BA bypass filter system at this point.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:16 PM   #34
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGG View Post
A couple of years ago I resurrected a 59AB style V-8 in a 1940 big farm truck. We used it last for many hours on my grandfathers farm in the 1960s. When I first changed the oil (stock by-pass system) I found NO restrictor in either the block outlet or the housing inlet. Inside the filter housing was only one .060 hole in the vertical outlet pipe. Since this is the only way the oil can get out of the filter, that had to be the restriction. Has anyone else encountered this?

While anything can happen, I'd be willing to bet that you are mistaken in your recollections of what you found a couple years ago. There are two main reasons that an inlet restrictor is needed and was supplied on the original filter system: ONE, without that restrictor on the inlet side, the pressure in the canister could otherwise build to overwhelm the top perimeter gasket or top bolt gasket, and TWO, upon changing the oil and filter, the engine would starve for oil till the cannister filled, finally to be restricted at the outlet.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:23 PM   #35
Desoto291Hemi

Boy,,,,I wish I had a like button for all these responses.

Yes,,,,,.060 restriction,,,,,,also,,,,,my canister had .063 holes in the tube.
Awesome info,,,,,should help this guy a lot,,,,save him some oiling issues.

Tommy

Oh yeah,,,,I was reading on some site,,,here or the Hamb,,,,about a guy that had a leaking top cover,,,no matter what he did,,it leaked.
He had removed the orifice at the inlet side of the housing and it over pressurized the can.

Last edited by Desoto291Hemi; 01-04-2020 at 09:33 PM.
Desoto291Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #36
MGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
While anything can happen, I'd be willing to bet that you are mistaken in your recollections of what you found a couple years ago. There are two main reasons that an inlet restrictor is needed and was supplied on the original filter system: ONE, without that restrictor on the inlet side, the pressure in the canister could otherwise build to overwhelm the top perimeter gasket or top bolt gasket, and TWO, upon changing the oil and filter, the engine would starve for oil till the cannister filled, finally to be restricted at the outlet.
Two things I know for sure that I am not mistaken about are:
1. I did not find any external-to-the-canister restrictor.
2. We drove the truck for years that way around the farm and countryside delivering hay and other farm products.

At the time I was nervous about it so I added a restrictor fitting at the canister inlet. When I change oil next, I will be sure to, again, double and triple check the canister inside outlet pipe for outlet holes, and report back if anyone is interested.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #37
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGG View Post
Two things I know for sure that I am not mistaken about are:
1. I did not find any external-to-the-canister restrictor.
2. We drove the truck for years that way around the farm and countryside delivering hay and other farm products.

At the time I was nervous about it so I added a restrictor fitting at the canister inlet. When I change oil next, I will be sure to, again, double and triple check the canister inside outlet pipe for outlet holes, and report back if anyone is interested.
You may indeed not be mistaken.
Your recollections are of the first generation of accessory oil filters and not the same design as the later 8BA standard equipment ones.
The single .060 dia. hole in the stand pipe was probably the restictor hole

and was the way it may have been engineered.
Your adding an outside restrictor hole probably just helped to insure less oil pressure in the cannister. (I wouldn't sweat it)
Old 01-05-2020, 08:05 PM   #38
Desoto291Hemi

My restriction is in the brass tee that also fits the pressure sending unit.
You don’t know it is there unless you clean it and try to fit a small bit in there,,,,it was .060 thousandths,,,just like everyone said .

Tommy
Desoto291Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:24 PM   #39
AnthonyG

Putting engine back together. I found/bought an original bypass filter canister set up. Good shape w the original pressure sender & the .060” reducer still on it. I couldn’t believe the guy shipped it so dirty & still filled w gunky oil & an old filter in it! Anyway need the to-from lines & found these on EBay. Says fits a ‘49-‘53 F1 but thinking it’ll fit my 8BA? Thoughts?
Old 03-07-2020, 03:11 PM   #40
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Putting engine back together. I found/bought an original bypass filter canister set up. Good shape w the original pressure sender & the .060” reducer still on it. I couldn’t believe the guy shipped it so dirty & still filled w gunky oil & an old filter in it! Anyway need the to-from lines & found these on EBay. Says fits a ‘49-‘53 F1 but thinking it’ll fit my 8BA? Thoughts?
You can obtain steel fuel/brake lines in various lengths from NAPA.
They can be bent to suit and have the flares and nuts already to install into
the fittings. That is what I used.