Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
darrylkmc

Default Not Model A - A Owners Affected - Fairbanks Alaska Thousands Without Electricity

Thousands of residents of Fairbanks Alaska have been without Electricity since a major Rain, Ice, High Wind Snow Storm blew through on Wednesday Night.

Many people will be without power for several more days, with no estimate for getting back online.

Temperatures tonight are expected to be -10 to -15 F below zero, with -30 to -40 F temperatures predicted in the next few days.

Please keep us in your thoughts.

I personally have power, however I am certain lots of Model A owners here are desperately attempting to keep their homes and businesses from freezing up.

Latest Update:

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...9bb30f31a.html

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Not Model A - A Owners Affected - Fairbanks Alaska Thousands Without Electricity

WOW, hang in there! I see a baby boom coming in August.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
Fred K-OR

Default Re: Not Model A - A Owners Affected - Fairbanks Alaska Thousands Without Electricity

Storms like this are a problem. We loose power in our area a couple of times a year for a few hours to a few days. Kind of ruff when you have a well with an electric pump. But the old gas generator sure comes in handy. Lucky we do not have sub zero weather. Just a lot of rain and sometimes snow.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
darrylkmc

We loose power periodically here, but I never recall not having power for so many folks for this length of time.

With the bitter cold temps we experience here, it sure goes to show that you need to be prepared.

Fairbanks rarely gets much wind, so when we have windstorms such as we had on Wednesday night a lot of trees were blown over into power lines. This makes it hard to estimate damage.

Darryl in Fairbanks
Old 11-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #5
ken ct
BANNED

Good luck you people up at the top of the world and not only Model "A" people but everybody. Gentlemen,START YOUR ENGINES.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
Ross/Kzoo

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Best wishes. I worked with electric restoration crews for 35 years before I retired. The worst I encountered was 10-15 degrees above zero with 50 MPH winds and my crews had already been working for 36 hours and there wasn't a restaurant for them to go to for 35 miles. So they worked all night and the I got them a hardy breakfast in the morning.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
glenn in camino

We don't loose power very often, but one of the first things we bought when we moved into snow country was a generator for the house. When the power goes out, we watch TV and movies, and eat by candlelight. I hope it snows again soon.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Rusty Homestead Fl

Good luck up there. A 3 Dog Night?? I became a firm believer in generators after hurricane Andrew. 30 days without power and we were lucky it was only 30 days.. Now I keep a back up generator for my back up generator. Never again.
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
dean from bozeman

darrylkmc, thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

Last edited by dean from bozeman; 11-18-2013 at 01:12 PM.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
darrylkmc

Thanks everyone for keeping us in your thoughts.

It looks as though there are less than 1,000 households/businesses without power and Golden Valley Electric Association (GVEA) has 80 line personnel working on problems.

The Temperatures are expected to be -20 to -30 F tonight and the High for tomarrow around -20 F.

Although I have power, plenty of us will be helping others thaw and repair frozen pipes once building begin warming up.

Darryl in Fairbanks
Old 11-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
700rpm

I know the folks in Ohio, Kentucky and especially Illinois had a bad storm yesterday and there were lives ands property lost. This is all over the national and international news sites, as it should be, but what puzzles me is why I haven't seen anything about the troubles in Fairbanks. Both need to be on the radar of all Americans. In addition to the massive work that needs to be done in the midwest, (not to mention the Philippines), I hope our friends up north get some assistance and get back to warm and normal again soon.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
BudP

Should you decide to get a home generator, and should you have natural gas in your neighborhood, by all means get a natural gas generator. You will not be lugging 5 gallon cans of gasoline through thigh-deep snow drifts or in the rain to keep it running. Make it air-cooled and you don't have to worry about anti-freeze, a bad water pump, rust in the system, etc. Such generators can deliver at least 17 KW which is enough for a well, a septic field pumping system, air-conditioning, heat, a micro-wave, a refrigerator, a few lights and an outlet or two.
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
CarlG

This from today's news:

FAIRBANKS, Alaska -
Alaska's governor has declared a state of disaster for the Fairbanks North Star Borough in the wake of a severe windstorm that initially left thousands without power.

Gov. Sean Parnell made his declaration during a Monday news conference in Fairbanks.

Borough Mayor Luke Hopkins issued his own disaster declaration earlier in the day.

Crews are working around the clock to restore power. Both Parnell and Hopkins say a forecast of rapidly dropping temperatures lends a sense of urgency.

The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reports that Golden Valley Electric Association estimates some 600 businesses and homes remain without power. Original estimates put the outage at about 15,000 homes and businesses after last Wednesday's windstorm.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
Michael M

Prayers and best wishes to the folks affected by the weather and power outage. I can't imagine the hardship, but I know that Alaskans are made of sterner stuff.

I finished installation of a 20 kW natural gas generator two weeks before Sandy hit. It was a great investment and certainly cheaper than a divorce attorney, which would have been needed after a week without power.

Good luck to you folks up there!
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
Ralph Moore

If you don't already have a generator, your not going to find one. Stores were sold out as fast as they could sell them. And it helps to have a wood stove as well. Hopefully they will have it all back soon.
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote