Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-19-2020, 08:30 PM   #1
Mikeinnj

Default 6 volt starter brish install help

I am looking for information on how to un-solder and remove the old insulated brushes and install new insulated brushes in a 6 volt Model A starter without burning the new brush insuletion.

Are the brushes also crimped to the coil leads ?

I have a heavy electric (200 Watt) soldering iron and a micro torch with a soldering attachment that makes the tip flameless.

I read an article on "Ford Garage" written by Bill Brock but found his explanation confusing to say the least.

Thank You, Mile
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:46 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: 6 volt starter brish install help

They are crimped originally, a 200 watt iron will take a long time, a 600 watt iron will do it near instant and put much less heat to the insulation, before I had good irons I barely got by using 2 250 watt soldering guns apart was easy, I would open the crimp and peel out the brush wire using a little heat to just soften the solder

Many starters just got ground brushes, brushes less than 1/2 worn that were wearing a little crooked got filed straight and re bedded into the commutator with sandpaper glued to spare armature--- all new brushes got same treatment to have good contact

I had large pulley like 2 foot diameter for testing, grab pulley with very thick leather glove and check stall amperage-and torque --- it was good money for a 16 year old, could take a 5$ investment and turn it into 45$,

Never tried a micro torch for such work, borrowed one for some soldering and wasn't impressed with the heating power
The lower wattage irons would take several minutes of heating to get to soldering temperatures, lot of smoke from oils saturated insulation. 600 watt iron did it in 5 seconds, windings hardly get hot, just smoke from flux---- I also used it to resolder the armature/ commutator connection (my mother would sell them at Hershey, Carlisle. Unconditional garrantee one year, learned how to make a good rebuild, I hated her giving my money back)---- I developed processes that worked for me, others may have different methods
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:46 PM   #3
Will N

I used a butane micro torch with the tips removed. The flame is pinpoint sharp, allowing your to concentrate the heat right on the solder. And it works really fast, which as Kurt says is important as you don't want to soak too much heat into parts.

Last edited by Will N; 03-23-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #4
David R.

I used old fashioned heavy copper soldering irons heated in my forge. Hardest part was getting old brush wire out. I think I finally drilled it out. A good heavy electric iron would be handy but I couldn’t find mine.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
Mikeinnj

Thank you all for your replies.
I visited a local Starter/Generator repair shop at Rayelco Generator Company Inc., 7 Ave B, Lodi, NJ 07644 and they removed the worn original insulated brushes and installed the new ones while I waited (about 10 monuted) They soldered the brushes with a devise similar to a tig welder in seconds with no damage to the cloth insulation at all. These guys were great and would not take any money. They have been in business for 70 years !
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #6
rocket1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
Thank you all for your replies.
I visited a local Starter/Generator repair shop at Rayelco Generator Company Inc., 7 Ave B, Lodi, NJ 07644 and they removed the worn original insulated brushes and installed the new ones while I waited (about 10 monuted) They soldered the brushes with a devise similar to a tig welder in seconds with no damage to the cloth insulation at all. These guys were great and would not take any money. They have been in business for 70 years !
Rayelco Co.Great guys and reasonable,had my early Chev. starter rebuilt.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote