Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2021, 05:51 AM   #21
updraught

Default Re: lincon brakes

The problem with the "braking 101" is that most modern cars have ABS.
To use ABS properly you have to practice on a skid pan to learn to trust the ABS, especially coming into a corner. You jam the brakes on and let the electronics sort things out. You have to unlearn "braking 101".
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:17 AM   #22
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
The problem with the "braking 101" is that most modern cars have ABS.
To use ABS properly you have to practice on a skid pan to learn to trust the ABS, especially coming into a corner. You jam the brakes on and let the electronics sort things out. You have to unlearn "braking 101".
Giving up to rotation sensors and an electronic control module...meh, I've got a Camry for that. Interesting point about 'skidding', you hear that a lot from mechanical brake folks. Traction is the foundation on which to stop, not brakes. Two reasons to run 16" wheels and modern radial...a better ride, and a car that doesn't skid, it stops.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-17-2021, 02:45 PM   #23
hardtimes

Braking guizmos for QUICK....anti-skid stopping !
THEY WORK,at least on vehicles designed/built with them !!
EXAMPLE:
If you can drive/survive in LALALAND traffic -in ANY vehicle-your lucky.
So, I’m driving my low buck entry level NEW pickup home down sherman way. Crossing a major intersection.. accidents common place. Traffic going tooo fast as usual. Im giving a lot of space to car in front of me... when this major idiot, crosses left two lanes, into my (third lane... in the intersection !! I can hear tires screaming, just before sight of him !
My whole body stiffened.. as I knew something BAD was about to happen. Im young , quick and the brake is instantly on. I knew that there was NO TIME for brake pumping to minimizing tire skid. Instinct was to mash peddle as hard as possible... to keep injuries to minimum.
What the freak was this freak doing ??
He was turning into gas station driveway..
My truck squatted , but never slid/ broke traction !!!
I touched the idiots bumper as he made his move into gas station.
As said traffic was heavy and horns-a blowing !

I can still remember the relief and disbelief that I hadnt wrecked my new cheapo truck.

At first opportunity, I got out the truck manual.
Wow, this truck was equipped with full anti-lock brakes ... it read: DO NOT pump the brakes in emergency application!!! Holy cow, who knew that they worked as advertised... at least on a new entry level truck !

At times this trick brake stuff, if properly fitted, WORKS ... even on older cars, my opinion.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:47 PM   #24
PotvinV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
Giving up to rotation sensors and an electronic control module...meh, I've got a Camry for that. Interesting point about 'skidding', you hear that a lot from mechanical brake folks. Traction is the foundation on which to stop, not brakes. Two reasons to run 16" wheels and modern radial...a better ride, and a car that doesn't skid, it stops.
Exactly. Skidding isn't stop. And just because a brake can lock up, doesn't mean it stops efficiently, my example of a stick in the wheel still holds water for this argument.

We can argue "that's how Henry did it" etc. etc. but he did the hydraulic thing for a lot longer...
PotvinV8 is offline   Reply With Quote