Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2021, 11:01 AM   #41
PeteVS

Default Re: Who's gonna fill their shoes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
8hp 6" bore, 12" stroke 2125 lbs.
339 cubic inches!
Old 03-09-2021, 12:46 PM   #42
jmerson

That George Jones clip brought tears to my eyes!! Back in the early '50's when I was a teenager, we used to call that Okie Music. It took me about another 40 years to realize just how great that music and what it stood for was. I don't think there will ever be anyone to fill their shoes, or even come close.
IMHO
jmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:58 PM   #43
Tim Ayers

Well, I'm no youngster at 50, but nor am I a blue beard either. My friends and I are certainly willing to "fill their show" per say.

In fact, I spoke to a fellow member yesterday about acquiring a portion of his stock to help me and my friends continue to support our car hobby. There is something nice about have parts "in stock".

I understand there is a fine line between having parts on hand and hoarding, but we hope to find a nice balance for our current and future projects.

The beauty about the internet and social media platforms such as Instagram, etc., many of the parts that were very difficult to find are now a few clicks or posts away. This has been a game changer for many in this hobby.

It also helps with trading since many people, like myself, rather trade than sell. It can be a win/win for both parties.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 03-09-2021 at 01:06 PM.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:37 PM   #44
SDeviney

I’ll be 26 in April. I went through McPherson College’s automotive restoration program a few years back. I grew up loving post war GM products but was introduced to Model A’s 2 1/2 years ago with a new job. Now I’m wrenching on them 5 days a week and I love it. I’ve recently introduced my two year old nephew to old cars. Whenever I visit him we watch videos of steam tractor, hit and miss engines and the hot rod hill climb. I even got him to say Model A this last weekend. The shoes that need filling are big. But us young kids will try our best to keep these old car on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SDeviney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:54 PM   #45
ford38v8

The real difference, as the title of this thread states, is the mentoring that is not available today. Back when we were kids, we thought nothing of tearing into any automotive project we had a mind (or a need) to, because the knowledge we needed to complete the project was right there at the source of parts purchased. The junk yard operator, the auto parts store, even the parts department at new car dealerships could offer advice and tutoring. Today, all that knowledge is gone, and we have only each other to rely on for advice and mentoring. The hobby will go on, but with far fewer owners able to perform their own basic maintenance, let alone repair work.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:20 PM   #46
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
The real difference, as the title of this thread states, is the mentoring that is not available today. Back when we were kids, we thought nothing of tearing into any automotive project we had a mind (or a need) to, because the knowledge we needed to complete the project was right there at the source of parts purchased. The junk yard operator, the auto parts store, even the parts department at new car dealerships could offer advice and tutoring. Today, all that knowledge is gone, and we have only each other to rely on for advice and mentoring. The hobby will go on, but with far fewer owners able to perform their own basic maintenance, let alone repair work.
Interesting take. Sort of related, but I have resisted doing anything related to the CPU's on our daily drivers. I viewed the computer controls as the devil and didn't want to fool with them.

Thank goodness for Youtube and people willing to post tutorials on how to work on the increasing amount of electrical components on cars. I'm no longer reluctant to fool with these components and found it quite easy to do since the scanner will tell you the problem.

It does relate to our old cars for when you can tackle remapping, etc., old cars seem super simple (which in most cases they are). You'd be surprise how many in the hobby post videos related to old Fords on Youtube as well.

Often, I'll bring the laptop into the garage to watch a video of someone doing a repair and follow along as I do the same.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:37 PM   #47
tubman

I will have to say that the information I have received from this and other forums and also "YouTube" is a lot better than I used to get back in the day. Most of my sources back then were, let's say, a bit questionable. They came up with such gems as "don't run thermostats in a flathead" and that 1/8" wall 2X2 tubing was adequate for making a "T" bucket frame. There were others that I have thankfully forgotten.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:41 PM   #48
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Interesting take. Sort of related, but I have resisted doing anything related to the CPU's on our daily drivers. I viewed the computer controls as the devil and didn't want to fool with them.

Thank goodness for Youtube and people willing to post tutorials on how to work on the increasing amount of electrical components on cars. I'm no longer reluctant to fool with these components and found it quite easy to do since the scanner will tell you the problem.

It does relate to our old cars for when you can tackle remapping, etc., old cars seem super simple (which in most cases they are). You'd be surprise how many in the hobby post videos related to old Fords on Youtube as well.

Often, I'll bring the laptop into the garage to watch a video of someone doing a repair and follow along as I do the same.

You're right about the Youtube videos! I've relied on those to work on stuff I never would fool with in my younger days. Still, there's no replacement for the mentoring of the local junk yard mechanic. Those greasers knew everyone's cars inside out, and were happy to educate anyone who had questions.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:44 PM   #49
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
You're right about the Youtube videos! I've relied on those to work on stuff I never would fool with in my younger days. Still, there's no replacement for the mentoring of the local junk yard mechanic. Those greasers knew everyone's cars inside out, and were happy to educate anyone who had questions.
Very true. My dad taught me a lot. He told me stories about working at the local Sinclair shop and "rebuilding" flatheads right on garage floor. Those stories crack me up.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:11 PM   #50
GB SISSON

I have started various threads here on the 'Barn, some interesting builds etc, but this one is really important to me. My 'old country' has been more about Alan, George, Reba, Toby and even back to Hank 2. I remember the Highwaymen and Willie and Ricky Scaggs and Emmy Lou.\, not to mention GLEN CAMPBELL ... But this George Jones I stumbled onto a few years back with the 'since the interstate went through'....I'm so glad it resonates through my Fordbarn friends. Thanks for enjoying what I enjoy. Why do I love that bias ply 6.00 x 16 next to the door of the garage? Looks like the tire swing on the Waltons. Ok, the Waltons had a 6.00 x 20 truck tire from their AA express. Sigh.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:15 PM   #51
Tinker

Waltons had a T truck and john boy had a A. 18-21" wheels/tires.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:28 AM   #52
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Waltons had a T truck and john boy had a A. 18-21" wheels/tires.
I beg to differ. It was a 28 AA 1 1/2 ton open express. I have owned two 28 AAs and two 29s. My dad and I watched the show like it was a religion. After the first season I found a 28AA factory stakebed with rear fenders in our hometown and traded the owner for it by building him two 12' flat bottom wood rowboats. These were built in a small barn behind the family home. I was getting 175.00 for a 12 footer back then, and sold 17 of them before I turned 20.. After that transaction all my lumber hauls were made in fine fashion. Funny, five years later I had bought 5 acres on the side of a mountain and purchased a sawmill, which I still have. Raised 4 kids in the house I built and I still live in it. Right down to the thick hand split shakes I made from cedar beach logs. I don't buy my 'recipe' from the Baldwin sisters, I have my own source. Goodnight Mark, Goodnight Cas, Goodnight Tinker, Goodnight Ol Ron, Goodnight Mart.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:04 AM   #53
Gnater

All is not lost...i have a 16 year old nephew who I will will my late fathers '34 roadster to because he's amazed by it.
Gnater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:24 AM   #54
Frank Miller

Off topic a bit but thanks for that hit and miss truck video. My dad is 89 and he really enjoyed it.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:46 AM   #55
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Good one GB. Heard this on "Willie's Roadhouse" the other day and had the same thoughts. I do see a few young flathead guys out here., so there may be some hope.
Hey fellas, Michael Driskell and I are here working on these early Fords. Don't lose all hope.

Seth
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:11 AM   #56
TJ

We have some young guys playing with flatheads in my area too. Some with flathead powered Model As and some with some old V-8s. The problem is these young people have jobs, families, and rent or house payments. Many have the interest, but funds are limited due to priorities. It's up to us old guys to help a little.
Recently I have found that one way to help is to pass on your V-8 Times back issues to them. Another way is to pass on a part or two to help with their project. We all have stuff laying around the garage we will never use and maybe it can help a young person get their car on the road. If we inspire them they will carry on the hobby. Lastly pass on your knowledge and don't be a critic. Doesn't cost a thing and they will come back for more.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote