Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
56sedandelivery

Default 56 Sedan Delivery door run question.

So got the door run that the windows rides in, B5A-&021550-B, and have a question. On the original there was a metal channel that hooks into the door itself to keep the run straight. On the new run I got it does not have this and the manual only shows it as being part of the run. So now I have the old piece that is is pretty good shape. Question is how do I know where to install it on the new run? It is the piece circled in the pic. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img605.jpg (57.2 KB, 29 views)
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:05 PM   #2
Rbeck204

Default Re: 56 Sedan Delivery door run question.

I installed new channels in my 53 Courier a few weeks ago and had a similar issue. I removed the metal piece from the old channel and, using the old channel as a guide, reinstalled the old metal to the new channel. Then installed the new channel in the car with no problem.
Rich
Rbeck204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:24 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

This is typical of all '55/56 Ford car doors for 2-dr sedans and 4-dr sedan front doors; the back portion of the fuzzy window channel fits into a zinc-plated metal channel that is attached to the inside of the door. That piece has a hook stamped into the back of it that fits into a bracket inside the door and at the bottom of the channel has a slotted hole for one of those little 3/8" hex screws that attaches to a bracket near bottom of inside the door. So the zinc-plated metal channel attaches to inside of the door in two places.
The new fuzzy channel you buy needs to fit into that metal channel. It seems to me you need to install the metal channel in the door by itself first, then bend your corner for the window on your fuzzy channel and cut the end near the vent window channel. Then temporarily FIT the fuzzy channel in the door, inserting it into the zinc-plated metal channel at the rear (being careful to hold your corner up at the top). Maybe use tape to temporarily tape it in. Now you can mark the top and bottom of the fuzzy channel at the ends of the metal channel using a scribe.
Take both pieces out and align the fuzzy channel into the metal channel by your scribe marks. This shows where you need to cut (just above the slotted hole for the 3/8" hex screw) AND you can mark the center of the holes through the back of the metal channel onto your fuzzy channel so you know where to drill for the rivets that will hold the two together.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
56sedandelivery

Thanks for the replies, gives me a way to go. I have a pre bent fuzzy channel so only need to line it up. Car is in the body shop at the momment but will try these when it comes home.
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote