Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2021, 11:51 AM   #1
56sedandelivery

Default Door Panals

Does anyone know where I can find the dimensions for the door panels for the 56 sedan delivery? I can make up the panel size but have no idea where to cut the attachment holes or handle openings.
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:28 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Door Panals

If you don't have the original panel to use as a pattern, you can still make your own panels by getting sheets of masonite from the hardware store. First, measure the distance from the bottom of the inside of the door to both shafts and from the front of the door back to each shaft. Be sure to hold the tape measure parallel with the bottom of the door.
Layout the holes based upon those measurements and cutout with a jigsaw.
Now you can hold the piece of masonite up to the inside of the door and trace the door structure on the backside with a pencil.
I suggest undercutting your trace marks by 1/8 of an inch to accommodate the forthcoming upholstery. You can use a circular saw with fine blade and cutout the rounded corners with a jigsaw.
In order to locate the panel fastener clip holes, you need to offset the holes in the masonite by the amount of center to center axis of the fastener clips. I think it is about 1/2 inch.
I taped long paper templates on the backside of the door and punched the holes out, then transferred the paper templates to the masonite. (this duplicates the location of the holes in the door structure, so you need to just mark a centerline at each hole and measure back toward the center of the door about 1/2 inch).
In order to locate the two holes for the door armrest, I got a large screw with the same thread as the armrest screws, cut the head off and ground that end down to a point. Now screw those in and hold your masonite up to the door and smack the masonite with your hand and it will make marks on the back side of the masonite. Drill those out with a 3/8" drill bit.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:31 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

BTW, the top of the masonite panel should be just below the two screwholes that hold the vent window assembly to the door. The metal interior window garnish moulding will mount such that the bottom of the moulding will go over the top of the upholstery panel.
Also, there are four scrwewholes at the corners of the upholstery panel, two of which hold the bottom of the window garnish moulding to the door structure and go thru the masonite panel.
I located these holes the same way I did the door armrest screws.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:38 PM   #4
JeffB2

Plenty of videos to help. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...et+door+panels
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:23 PM   #5
Rbeck204

Larry’s Thunderbird in So Cal handles them. They make to suit. They have the patterns. I have a 53 Sedan Delivery and I had partial patterns for my doors because they do not usually sell Pre 55. I took them in and they made beautiful door panels for me in my choice of colors. I also bought the hardboard from them for the rear side panels. I then had an upholstery chop match the door panels.
Anyways, Larry’s shop is good people.
Rich
Rbeck204 is offline   Reply With Quote