Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2016, 10:38 AM   #1
coupe1942

Default Lighting at the dash area

I like this idea for adding some light to a '30 Model A pickup dash area. Not stock, of course, but for driving at night, it helps. Easy enough to do, I suspect. My truck is a solid black interior and color inside, so it is darker than a dungeon since the instrument panel does not have a light to it.

My pickup is a daily driver, so adding a light system such as this is not such an issue as to any points lost. Of course, my truck has a 12 v system in it and the wiring would be a bit different than that shown in the video.

Anyone else done this to their A?

I would do the actual spacing of the lights a bit different so that they illuminated the speedometer and gas gauge more.

https://youtu.be/Ai9fiB70GJY
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: Lighting at the dash area

I just wired the dash light to come on with the tail lights.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #3
Benson

You could also install the dash light that Ford installed. Uses a 6 volt #63 bulb as I remember.

From comments made in the video it sounds like your truck is missing the dash light assembly.

So you would have to find the correct 12 volt bulb in this case.

It is hidden under dash above Gas gauge, behind the dash rail and has it's own switch and cable to fasten to the amp meter.

http://parts.modelastore.com/show_Product.asp?ID=4428

Last edited by Benson; 08-16-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: dash rail
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
Barber31

Another option you may think about is EL wire. Electro luminescent wire. I'll be looking into that option when I get to that stage. I like the idea that it gives a soft even ambient light compared to directional lighting. The fact that it is as thin as wire makes it easier to hide I feel.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

This will work;

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/88332
Old 08-16-2016, 12:44 PM   #6
bettlesr

I wired my original light socket to go on when the tail lights were on. I then put in a right angle motorcycle directional bulb from Super Bright LEDs in it and adjuster it to shine on the dash panel. There is an adjustable resistor in series to dim it as it is way to bright at full brightness. The add on tach, oil pressure and voltmeter had there internal lighting changed to red leds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NCM_1230.jpg (62.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg NCM_1231.jpg (65.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg NCM_1232.jpg (56.0 KB, 85 views)
Old 08-16-2016, 01:53 PM   #7
coupe1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber31 View Post
Another option you may think about is EL wire. Electro luminescent wire. I'll be looking into that option when I get to that stage. I like the idea that it gives a soft even ambient light compared to directional lighting. The fact that it is as thin as wire makes it easier to hide I feel.
I actually had never seen those wires, but checked over a few YouTube installation videos and Ebay to see them. Nice idea. I even sent a link to my daughter to look at ordering some for her costumes and such as a drama instructor and Community Theatre director. They are certainly cheap enough to play about with for various lighting projects. Not sure as to how much they would light up this particular dash application, but one never knows until you try it out and see.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #8
coupe1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
You could also install the dash light that Ford installed. Uses a 6 volt #63 bulb as I remember.

From comments made in the video it sounds like your truck is missing the dash light assembly.

It is hidden under dash above Gas gauge, behind the dash rail and has it's own switch and cable to fasten to the amp meter.

I didn't feel any light up there as you suggest. Too dark to look at it inside my garage at present. I do have a question regarding removal of that dash panel though. I have never removed my dash panel on any of the previous Model A's I have owned, so it is a learning experience for me. My question is, Do the two end screws on the dash panel have the nuts welded into place or how do you get hold of them in order to remove the screw to the front of the panel? My big mitts would not allow me to feel up in there to hold onto a nut and remove those two screws. All the other screws seem to have easy access to the nuts though. I want to remove the dash panel to see what i am dealing with. Although I can appreciate the led lighting in the video, I really didn't want to have to drill any holes if possible, so other options, including adding the light housing as you said, may be better for my own application at this time.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:49 PM   #9
Jason in TX

They make 12V LED strips that you could put under the dash rail. You can actually cut to lenght and then wire it up. Pretty nuts.

Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:14 PM   #10
roblesterjr04

The LED tape is the way to go. Cheap, and easy to work with, and can be directly wired to a 12V power source. I used this for kitchen lighting under my new cabinets. It's probably one of your better options.

1929 Fordor Leatherback
roblesterjr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #11
coupe1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post

I took off the dash rail today and there is no light socket or fixture there at all that I can locate. Even with good lighting, I could not find anything located there as an original light housing piece. I am not so sure I'll replace it with a repo one or not, as the led tape sure seems easier to put in where I want and even the led's shown in the video would be a snap to put in, too. I am not so sure that the EL wire directs enough light or not to the very areas I want illuminated. I have some on order and will at least check them out.

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:18 PM   #12
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942 View Post
I took off the dash rail today and there is no light socket or fixture there at all that I can locate. Even with good lighting, I could not find anything located there as an original light housing piece. I am not so sure I'll replace it with a repo one or not, as the led tape sure seems easier to put in where I want and even the led's shown in the video would be a snap to put in, too. I am not so sure that the EL wire directs enough light or not to the very areas I want illuminated. I have some on order and will at least check them out.

Thanks for the info.
Strange that there is no evidence of a dash Light being there.

PIckups were always "no frills" so Ford could keep the price low for the working man.

I wonder if maybe they did not put lights in the 30 PUs, being as the Depression was in full swing by 1930 and every dollar counted.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #13
Bob C

Here are a couple of pictures from Marco's site of the instrument panel light.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 027.jpg (30.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 030.jpg (23.0 KB, 44 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #14
ddweave

As I recall, it's just one screw that attaches the light plus the wire attached to the ammeter. Once it's removed, it wouldn't leave any trace behind.

I doubt that Ford would omit them on pickups due to the depression - it's rather difficult to see the speedometer at night without it.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:16 PM   #15
coupe1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Here are a couple of pictures from Marco's site of the instrument panel light.

Bob
Thanks so much for the info as I was going to ask just how this light was installed since my truck has nothing there.

I found some photos at a vendor site, but didn't really know how the light attached. The plate that was with the ones I found didn't make a lot of sense to me as to how it was installed, but the photos by Marco helped.

For a 12 v system with negative ground, does the end wire to this light attach at the right or the left side of the ammeter?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (37.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (23.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (23.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #16
CarlG

It doesn't matter much which side of the ammeter it attaches to, both sides are hot. The only difference would be whether the ammeter reads the current draw or not. Just make sure you use a 12v bulb.

The bracket attaches to the center dash rail bolt.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:52 PM   #17
Bob C

Also the mounting bracket is different for open and closed cars, the
distance between the holes is not the same.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote