Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #41
tubman

Default Re: 8BA Distributor- Full Race Flathead help

Ric,

If you're missing any parts for the Mallory, I have a couple of distributors I have used for parts and may be able to help you out. Conversely, if you decide your unit is too far gone, I'd be interested in buying it as a parts unit.

I have a "Flattop" Mallory dual point on my "Hot Rod" engine and a newer Mallory with a one piece cap in the Merc engine if my '51 Ford. I am very happy with how they both work.

Tubman
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #42
Ric Dean

Talking Re: 8BA Distributor- Full Race Flathead help

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4dv8 View Post
I feel you are over thinking the the "seeing a Chevy distributor " thing . Just make sure it has a black cap and no one will ever know ,fit the old style cloth wires and it will blend right in. The mallory that Charlie has with the two piece cap is perfect old time distributor. the were available for a flathead anyway.
Hey ‘my4dv8’
You’re not the only one on the Chevy topic, I’m not adverse to using one it was just not my first choice. I wasn’t over thinking just being patient and I didn’t have the money then, now an old 8BA Flat Cap Mallory Duel Point with the proper id Tag on the side has turned up. It even is the extended shank and shaft version Model # ZB-275 for higher rpm, it requires a diff Timeing Chain Cover that turned up last year.
But right here before God & Man I apologize for not using a Chevy.

But seriously I thank you for your input, Ric
Ric Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #43
JSeery
Member Emeritus

It may have already been said, but the Chevy distributor issue may be a misconception. I would be almost positive Chevy did not "build" a distributor. They purchased component parts, so it would be a distributor Chevy used, not a "Chevy" distributor. You will find that with a lot of component parts, a few examples I am aware of are steering boxes, bearings, seals, spark plugs, bulbs, brake shoes, ring and pinion gears, push-rods, valve springs, valves, and on and on, were not built by the vehicle manufactures. The various manufactures purchase components for the same suppliers. So, I don't see banning a suppliers products because their component was used by a vehicle manufacture you don't care for. I find it very interesting to look through interchange parts listing!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #44
solidaxle

Something to consider. If you use the cut down chevy dizzy, it extends higher for more belt clearance. I have an old YZ Bubba set up for me with a tack drive. As far as drilling the timing cover, I used two 10-24 socket head set screws at 90 egress apart, you can't even see them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dizzy rev.jpg (51.2 KB, 57 views)
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote