Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #1
Ric Dean

Default 8BA Distributor- Full Race Flathead help

8BA Distributor- Full Race Flathead, All dressed up but can’t go to the dance ,
… I received no Distributor with a used 8BA I bought with only 3k miles, according to the Machine Shop Bill it was Bored 30 over Ross Pistons & Rods & MCF Stroked 4 ¼” it has a Potvin super full race street grind 375 lift 280 duration, It came with a Offy 2x2 intake & Edelbrock 9.2-1 Heads. My question is until I can find an old Mallory flat cap can an original 8BA load-a-matic be converted to use for the vacuum needed? I really can’t bring myself to use a converted chevy and drill holes in the timing chain cover.
Thanks for any help , Ric

Last edited by Ric Dean; 10-29-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Ric Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
Ol' Ron

Default Re: 8BA Distributor- Full Race Flathead help

Considering all the modifications yo have already made to the engine, why except less than the best in ignitions. Yo could use the MSD which is the same as the SBC unit. Tuning any engine is the key to performance and economy.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #3
RalphM

Get a converted Chevy dist, you wont regret it.
I couldn't believe how well my 52 Merc motor runs runs with it.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Don't believe there is much of any way you could get the original load a matic to work with that engine (for a lot of reasons). The original distributor depends on the vacuum from an original style carb to provide the distributor advance. You are not going to be able to reproduce the correct vacuum signal with an engine modified to this extent.

As others have ask, why would you want to hamper the performance of your engine in this way? It just doesn't add up to even attempt something along these lines. If you are determined to keep the engine all Ford parts (which almost nothing is except the block now!) you could change to front cover to used a crab distributor.

There are aftermarket options such a Mallory, just realize they will almost all be based on the Chevy design. If it makes you feel any better Chevy had a tendency to purchase almost everything from supplies (who most likely supplied other manufactures) so the only thing that makes it Chevy is the specification. Modify the specification for your application and now it's no longer a Chevy distributor, it's a specialized/custom flathead distributor.

Last edited by JSeery; 10-29-2016 at 09:51 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:41 AM   #5
Ric Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Considering all the modifications yo have already made to the engine, why except less than the best in ignitions. Yo could use the MSD which is the same as the SBC unit. Tuning any engine is the key to performance and economy.
Ron
Haven’t done anything yet, I just bought it. I'm looking for alternatives to sbc + its an open wheel traditional Deuce Hi-Boy Coupe w/o a Hood and every time I walk by it I'll see a chebie part.
never the less I respect your opinion, Ric
Old 10-29-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
Ole Don

A few years back, I had a 318 Mopar dizzy converted to 8 BA specs on the bottom. The curve was very close to perfect for the flathead. I used six degrees of initial as per Ole Ron, and 26 total. It is a reliable ignition and the car ran great. I used a new harness from the dizzy to the mod box, and the harness was long enough to place the mod box under the dash out of sight.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
Ric Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
Get a converted Chevy dist, you wont regret it.
I couldn't believe how well my 52 Merc motor runs runs with it.
Ralph
Ya I hear good things about them. especially tempting for me would be the tach drive model, but they’re not giving them away and I’m savin-up for a ol flat cap Mallory.
Ric
Old 10-29-2016, 09:59 AM   #8
Krylon32

Get a converted Chevy distributor from Hot Rod Bubba. I've used several and they were flawless.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #9
Bored&Stroked

Or call Bubba and see if he happens to have a rebuilt Mallory ready to go. I just put an engine together for a friend (276 incher, same cam as you) - and he contacted Bubba and got a very reasonable deal on a distributor all setup to go.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:44 AM   #10
Charlie ny
BANNED

Ric,
If Bubba does not have Mallory for you I might be able to help. I have two fresh chevy Mallorys that I converted to 8ba both with the mechanical tach drive. One has the
conventional Mallory 2 piece cap the other began life as a chevy marine distributor and features the typical Ford crab cap....that's correct the Ford style crab cap.....the
crab cap on this one however is a NOS vintage Mallory high dialectric brown cap.
If you are interested shoot me a PM or email any time at your convenience.
Charlie ny
[email protected]
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #11
richard rink

Ric,

Re the Load-a-matic distributor: As a temporary measure, here's what I did with a '50 Merc engine in a '40 coupe: The engine was 0.060 over, Edelbrock heads, super dual Offenhauser with two 94's, and an L100 cam. The Load-a-matic distributor comes with two springs on the breaker plate. Since the vacuum signal would be reduced on account of dual carbs, I removed one of the springs. A tiny amount of suction (1-2 mmHg) would produce rotation of the plate. I hooked the vacuum line to one of the carbs, rotated the distributor until I was satisfied with the idle and starting. That engine ran like stink. Very unorthodox methodology, but it worked for me.

I thought the modification would be temporary, but I was so pleased with the performance that I used it that way until the car was sold. Just my two cents. Richard
Old 10-29-2016, 12:08 PM   #12
Ric Dean

Richard
… Now that’s what I was looking for some old timey ingenuity.
Now hopefully I’ll be able to run it on a test stand and listen to the music, and motivate me to shop for the proper Distributor.
Thank you, Ric
Old 10-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #13
richard rink

Ric,

You are welcome. Hope it works for you. BTW, I can't remember which of the two springs I removed.....I'm presuming it may make a difference. Hope you'll let us know how it turns out for you.
Richard
Old 10-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #14
Ric Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Don't believe there is much of any way you could get the original load a matic to work with that engine (for a lot of reasons). The original distributor depends on the vacuum from an original style carb to provide the distributor advance. You are not going to be able to reproduce the correct vacuum signal with an engine modified to this extent.
As others have ask, why would you want to hamper the performance of your engine in this way? It just doesn't add up to even attempt something along these lines. If you are determined to keep the engine all Ford parts (which almost nothing is except the block now!) you could change to front cover to used a crab distributor.
There are aftermarket options such a Mallory, just realize they will almost all be based on the Chevy design. If it makes you feel any better Chevy had a tendency to purchase almost everything from supplies (who most likely supplied other manufactures) so the only thing that makes it Chevy is the specification. Modify the specification for your application and now it's no longer a Chevy distributor, it's a specialized/custom flathead distributor.
JSeery’
You gave me a lot to chew on -
I don’t want to run the load-a-matic forever, “My question is until I can find an old Mallory flat cap” If I understand correctly the 8BA Mallory FH Dist Body has the same sort of ledge for the old-down so I don’t have to drill set screw hole in the Timing Chain Cover for a Chevy Dist.
I would love to run a Duel Point Crab, but an 8BA Cam is too long isn’t it?
thanks for the input, Ric
Old 10-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #15
40cpe

If you are hung up on the tab to mate to the head to hold the distributor, I think the chevy conversions come with this tab. My chevy distributor from Charlie has it.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:31 PM   #16
hotrodA

SBC Flat cap Mallory's show up regularly at swap meets (I've bought them as low as $40, complete, just last year) also managed to find deals on NOS caps and points. Street rod guys want billet MSD, not that old points crap.

Run one down, get it converted and you're in business.
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:41 PM   #17
tubman

As to original Mallory parts, if you're into this stuff, buy all you can now. NOS caps used to be in the $45 to $75 range; now I see them at over $300. Used caps are almost as much. I have been buying this stuff for the last 15 years, and it seems like there is nothing left for sale that is not really overpriced. (You guys that disagree with me, tell me what you've got, and if it's even close, I'll buy it!)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:43 PM   #18
Charlie ny
BANNED

Guys,
Every sbc, Mallory, MSD etc to 8ba dist I build has a full size clamp pad which functions exactly s like the Loadamatic pad clamp pad.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:46 PM   #19
Scotty's 52 F3

I found a couple old Accel Dual Points cheap and converted one. Looks almost stock and runs great. Set up the curve and vacuum advance as recommended by JWL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050495.jpg (44.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg P1050493.jpg (35.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg P1050494.jpg (36.3 KB, 75 views)
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:05 AM   #20
Ric Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty's 52 F3 View Post
I found a couple old Accel Dual Points cheap and converted one. Looks almost stock and runs great. Set up the curve and vacuum advance as recommended by JWL.
Scotty
... Thanks for the good news and positive input, and not profiteering the Hobby.
Ric