Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #21
denis4x4

Default Re: Found some old bullets in my car!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinesdune View Post
You guys are lucky, usually all I find when I clean out the corners of a new to me vehicle is junk [emoji6]. Heard an urban legend years ago that someone used a 22 cartridge to replace the blown fuse, apparently with explosive results
Myth Busters did a segment years ago based on an urban myth that a guy was shot in the leg using a .22 for a fuse. Fun to watch, but the myth was busted!
Old 01-26-2016, 01:16 PM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Myth Busters did a segment years ago based on an urban myth that a guy was shot in the leg using a .22 for a fuse. Fun to watch, but the myth was busted!
In the 60's my crazy neighbor would clamp a .22 in the vice and hit the end with a hammer to show that the bullet only went a few inches and fell to the ground.

In the Army we were loading our rifles to go practice in the desert, and one of the guys dropped his bullet. The center cap hit the blacktop just right and the exploding shell tore his pants leg.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #23
Keith True

In that same Tudor I also found some old girlie books and a little round tin that condoms had been packaged in.The girlie book was quite a thing in it's day,I think it is dated somewhere around 1950,and has a huge price on the cover.I haven't looked at it in a while,but it was something like $19.95 or $29.95.More than a weeks pay for most at the time.In it's day it would have been rated XXXXX.There are 72 girls in it,and somebody pointed out to me that all the girls names are French and German.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #24
Lawrie

We bought a 92 Lincoln a few years back while on holiday in the USA ,the previous owner had it serviced and cleaned out before we took it back to the motel on Aviation Blvd next to Lax, we started to pack our gear in to it, we found enough cartridges to fill a brown paper bag,we had that car for three months and cartridges were still falling out of the door pockets and from under the seat when we sold it.
That Lincoln was a great car,we did 14000 miles in it with no drama,we should have bought it back home to Australia.
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:43 PM   #25
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
In that same Tudor I also found some old girlie books and a little round tin that condoms had been packaged in.The girlie book was quite a thing in it's day,I think it is dated somewhere around 1950,and has a huge price on the cover.I haven't looked at it in a while,but it was something like $19.95 or $29.95.More than a weeks pay for most at the time.In it's day it would have been rated XXXXX.There are 72 girls in it,and somebody pointed out to me that all the girls names are French and German.
Someone did some hard studying to come with an exact count
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #26
kenb43

Quote:
Could they be the 72 virgins the Islamists are looking for? Just askin'...
kenb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #27
Gold Digger

I bought a 23 model T in 1961 that had an extra coil box in the left side of the body that had some old spark plugs and bolts in it and in the very bottom buried in dirt and grease was a Case pocket knife that I carried for probably 10 years. It was made like a Barlow but had Case XX on the metal end.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:07 PM   #28
Keith True

I'd like to say I counted the girls in the book,but the fact of the matter is the cover says 72 bare beauties.When my friend pointed out that the girls names were all French and German we all got to thinking just what those post war years must have been like for those countries.Were they posing for those pictures for nickles and dimes?,just to get by? (or the equivalent in their currency)
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:47 PM   #29
Slowplane

A few years ago, while salvaging a '29 roadster in the Santa Monica Mtns., we found what could be the genesis of the modern "rat rod"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ccxc 970.jpg (114.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 01-27-2016, 06:12 AM   #30
Hoogah

I found this 1916 penny down behind the back seat of my '28 Nash, but not until I'd owned it for 45 years and I took the tub section out of storage. It's extremely rare because the head side is slightly smaller than the tail side!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050694+95(20%).jpg (20.7 KB, 48 views)
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:26 PM   #31
Quigley1930

Keith, we used to call those little booklets 2x4's

SwallTyler
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:17 AM   #32
dave in australia

Years ago I bought an old Valiant ute for some spares, well it was given to me, and all I had to do was retrieve it from where it was. I got it back to homebase, and inside wrapped around the passenger heater vent was a rather angry python. They're not venomous, one of the few snakes in Australia that's not, but I didn't care about that, I bravely called my neighbour to get rid of it. Apart from that, the best I've found is nothing more than a few hand tools, and the usual coins, cigarete lighters etc.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #33
Aerocraft

Shortly after I joined the Air Force in 1957, my Mom wrote me to say she had sold my '50 Ford convertible that my Dad had helped me buy. "Taking up too much space", she said. Unknown to her, the car "went away" with a loaded .38 revolver tucked under the front seat! Wonder who found the gun............

Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:17 AM   #34
roccaas

Now if that had been the famous Dillinger getaway car....
Old 01-28-2016, 02:41 PM   #35
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
...and a broken glass jug of oil.The oil had turned into grease,so I poured some gas in it,covered it and left it outdoors for a few weeks.Every so often I would give it a stir,and after a while I started pulling parts out of it.I got most of the original tool kit,a dual wiper setup,some vulcanizing clamps,plugs,points,the gun and dozens of other little doo-dads.
Wow, you got all of that out of a "jug of oil"??

I found this in the door of my Town Sedan...

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 01-28-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #36
modelAsteve

Good thing you're in Texas and not Calif!
modelAsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:02 PM   #37
Aok

Not in a model A but found this in a gas tank of a 52 Plymouth
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:27 PM   #38
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Keith,
CONDOMS reminded me, at the Drug store, about a 22 year old CUTIE was trying to decide which brand to buy??? I had to BITE my tongue, to keep from saying, "NOW, DON'T YOU FEEL SO FOOLISH"? I "think" my tongue BLED??
Bill W.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #39
wbedwards

I found a card of shoulder strap holders for women's slips? I guess they keep the bra strap and slip straps together? They were marked 25 cents a pair. By DE-Luxe item # 77 =] almost forgot "pat. pending made in USA"
wbedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:23 PM   #40
Bulligen

30 years ago, I bought a 30 coupe from an old guy in northern wisconsin. It was filled with all kinds of junk. I threw out 2 garbage bags of stuff mostly rotten mouse infested boxes, but the big surprise came when I found a loaded WWII 45 Automatic under the front seat. It was surface rusted on one side but took it apart and cleaned it real well. It shoots and has a heck of a kick!
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote