Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2021, 11:33 AM   #1
KNicholas2

Default Adding turn signals

Please forgive me if this topic has been discussed elsewhere - if so, I could not find what I'm looking for.

I want to add turn signals to my 1931 Deluxe Coupe. The Signal Stat 900 seems to be a popular choice. My confusion is how to deal with the turn signal lights.

(I am a "purist" and want to keep the car as original as possible, but for safety I do want to add turn signals and safety belts.)

What are experienced people doing when you add turn signals? What fixtures provide the best lighting (LED?) and yet look "original"?

I have read discussions about LEDs vs adding an extra filament bulb etc.

Do I buy new/modified LED lights for each position including the fronts?
Are these available as an entire kit somewhere or best to buy each individually?

Thank you for your advice and information.
KNicholas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #2
Conaway2

Default Re: Adding turn signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNicholas2 View Post
Please forgive me if this topic has been discussed elsewhere - if so, I could not find what I'm looking for.

I want to add turn signals to my 1931 Deluxe Coupe. The Signal Stat 900 seems to be a popular choice. My confusion is how to deal with the turn signal lights.

(I am a "purist" and want to keep the car as original as possible, but for safety I do want to add turn signals and safety belts.)

What are experienced people doing when you add turn signals? What fixtures provide the best lighting (LED?) and yet look "original"?

I have read discussions about LEDs vs adding an extra filament bulb etc.

Do I buy new/modified LED lights for each position including the fronts?
Are these available as an entire kit somewhere or best to buy each individually?

Thank you for your advice and information.
I’m very happy with the LogoLites LED turn signals. they were easy to install, subtle in appearance, but very visible in operation, and require no modification to the car.

Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:45 AM   #3
alexiskai

I like the Logo Lites signals because, as Conaway said, they're reversible and easy to install. They're also in the visual area where other drivers will instinctively look to see your blinkers, which can't be said about the ones that fit in the headlights.

You might also consider installing an LED high brake light; it attaches to the back window of the coupe in the sight line of the driver behind you.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:00 PM   #4
hazelhoff

Being a purist too I ended up with Brattons and bought a wiring harness including the turn signals. Advantage to me was the Brattons kit uses the rear lights, so I only had to put the front ones on the car (between the bars).
Old 04-09-2021, 12:58 PM   #5
Ed in Maine

I also have the Signal Stat 900 with the lights mounted between the bars both front and back. The advantage of this is that you don't have to make any modifications to the existing tail lights or the cowl lights. I have had good service from the Signal Stat 900. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:00 PM   #6
Patrick L.

I usually have a Signalstat hanging around, install quite a few.
They are easy to install and you'll get used to looking at it pretty quick.

As far as the exterior I too like to keep it clean and original. I like to replace the rears with LEDs. The vendors have them, that you install in the original cans. To get enough resistance to fire a 535 thermal flasher just use the cowls and parks as turns for the front and replace the bulbs with higher candle power incandescents such as 10CP.

Bratton's number 19170 & 19180

Last edited by Patrick L.; 04-09-2021 at 02:17 PM.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:09 PM   #7
JayJay

For my pickup I used a SignalStat and installed it using the cowl lights (modified for two filament bulbs, and amber lenses) and the rear brake lights. Only thing that looks a bit sketchy is the amber lenses in the cowl lights. I used conventional filament bulbs, not LED, I think they're plenty visible. Likely I'll use LEDs when I do the Town Sedan.

I did paint the chrome band around the steering column that holds the SignalStat black so it doesn't stand out as much. Don't paint the inside, that's the ground.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:03 PM   #8
KNicholas2

Viewing the images on line, I'm not too fond of the "push button" function of the Logo Lites. (Am I viewing this correctly? I prefer a "lever" action.)
For that reason I am leaning toward the SignalStat controller but I like the Logo Lite LED bulbs.
Can I use the Logo Lite fixtures with a SignalStat controller?
Old 04-10-2021, 12:42 PM   #9
alexiskai

I'm sure you can, but it requires more electrician skill than I have. If you end up doing it and wanted to document the steps, that would be awesome. I'm not a fan of the LogoLites controller either.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:22 PM   #10
Tom Endy

The attached article documents the turn signals I installed in my Victoria a number of years ago. The kit is essentially a wiring harness with appropriate switches. It installs with the switches out of sight under the dash rail. I added the indicator lights on a bracket that peeks out under the dash rail as well.

We recently installed the the same kit in a 12-volt version in my grandson's 30 Tudor. When I went to order the kit I discovered they were no longer in the Bratton's catalog. I called and spoke with Walt about it. He advised that the manufacturer went out of business, but he still had a couple of the kits left in stock. I quickly purchased one.

I also added the third brake light to the rear window in both cars. They also function as turn signals.

Tom Endy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Turn Signals.pdf (69.1 KB, 90 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:28 PM   #11
TerryH

If you haven’t already please go ahead and install the second rear taillight.....and use led’s on both. My Town Sedan has turn signals....I use the cowl lights in front, had a switch hidden under the dash cowl....works great and is in invisible.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:01 PM   #12
Patrick L.

Ooopps, thanks to Tom for mentioning the third brake lite. Its a pretty good addition.

I made a bracket from a license plate bracket along with another tail lamp assembly and belted it to the spare tire. The lens is an oldie that says STOP. It even looks pretty good.

I think the LED rears are a good addition, haven't been rear-ended since they were installed.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:30 PM   #13
KNicholas2

Where did you mount the Logo Lite controller?
Old 04-10-2021, 06:00 PM   #14
mercman from oz

Instructions - Adding Turn Signals to a Model A Ford
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:22 PM   #15
Conaway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNicholas2 View Post
Where did you mount the Logo Lite controller?
Since it mounts with a magnet, it can go pretty much anywhere you want. I mounted mine on the far upper left of the gas tank, just under the dash rail. It’s easy to reach to operate turn signals and flashers, but not very noticeable if you’re not looking for it.
Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:41 AM   #16
BillLee/Chandler, TX

The headlights on my car use the two-bulb headlight cans. The second socket is a dual filament socket which I use for park/turn lights. I use an amber bulb for the turn/park lights with LED tail lights. The combination works fine with a standard clicker. See http://cedarcreekas.org/TechTopics/1...rn_Signals.pdf Also see http://cedarcreekas.org/TechTopics/T...Collection.pdf
Old 04-11-2021, 01:00 PM   #17
KNicholas2

All are great suggestions and I appreciate the comments.

All I want to do is simply install a "lever" action controller with LED lights. None of the options discussed (easily) fit my criteria.

It appears I can go with LED with the LogoLite system, or incandescent bulbs with the SignalStat. I want the best of both worlds!!

I do remember seeing a vendor ad that has a modified SignalStat that is configured for LED lights. I just can't remember where I say it!!
Old 04-11-2021, 01:04 PM   #18
Patrick L.

No need to ' modify ' the signalstat for LEDs. It doesn't care.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:36 PM   #19
CarlG

I installed a Signal Stat that had been modified for a Model A by Sacramento Vintage Ford. It has dual filament bulbs in the cowl lights and uses the brake lights as turn signals on the rear. I have since modified the rear lights with the LED lenses from United Pacific, and the cowl lights with LED switchback bulbs. These bulbs shine white for parking lights and amber for turn signals.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:11 PM   #20
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
No need to ' modify ' the signalstat for LEDs. It doesn't care.

Agreed. I have LED taillights, LED high mount brake/signal lights in the rear window, and incandescent cowl lights for front turn signals with a Signal Stat 900 switch. The only glitch I’ve seen is finding a workable flasher that works with LEDs. Patrick helped me find a NOS 535 flasher that works. (You may need to run high candle power bulbs in the cowl lights to draw enough power to make the thermal-based flasher fire properly.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote