Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
dennisonk1957

Default Driving in rain and snow..

I want to drive the A in all kinds of weather. These are amazing vehicles...will you share your stories and experiences with me to let me know how to or how not too or to just take the modern car on days with inclement weather.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
BrianBurkert

Default Re: Driving in rain and snow..

Clean it up after your drives and it will last a long time. I would avoid snow and ice. The salt is one thing. One salt spray and rust will begin. The other cars on the road is another. Model A's do not offer the same protection that modern cars do.
BrianBurkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
Richard Wilson

One word.......Rain-X.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
kpreed

Living in the mountains, we do get some bad weather. I find it comes down to two things for me on Ice and Snow. The right kind of tires is number one with me, I find traction tires on the rear (mud and snow type) work best for me in the Snow and on ice, plus I carry snow chains, but yet to use them.
Number two for me is weight over the rear axle (sand tubes or bags). This is a big deal with me, owning a pick-up. I really think any model body may need some extra weight in Winter as they all seem so light, just for traction. I figure the weight of two people or about 300 lbs. in back of mine.
In rain, I use Rain-X on my windshield, plus I do not ever go real fast, even though my truck could only do the speed limit anyway, but in rain that can be still too fast for conditions. Just my 2¢.
Good Luck and Be Safe!
kpreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
P.S.

A guy in upper Michigan drove a Model A for a full year in all sorts of weather. He said the Model A handles extremely well in bad weather. Sometime after deciding on a Model A, found his blog and began to follow it while actively in the market for a Model A and it really made me over-anxious to find the right car.

Look up www.365daysofa.com

It's been a while since I looked at it, but it still showed up when searched for it on Google.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Special Coupe Frank

I drove my '28 Special Coupe for a whole year when I first got it, just to do it and say I could.

It started easily the coldest day of that year (-2*F), and ran reliably. Traction was another story, as I have stock 4.50x21 tires, and an agressive tread is not available, nor do I have chains...

The down side is exposure to corrosive road treatments; if they salt or brine the roads in your area, leave the A in the garage and wait until spring rains have washed all traces away... even salt dust from dry winter roads will get into the nooks and crannies, and when the car gets wet, the salt will go to work.

Because Pennsylvania loves to go crazy with the salt, I put my A away when the first snow flies. I saw the salt damage from one season, and won't subject it to another.

Rain is another story... make sure your top is water-tight, so that your interior doesn't get water-stained.

SC Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
29restorod

In 1964 and part of 1965 I drove my "A" every day to college classes,and to work. In Feb 65 we had a 12" snow fall,and my car was parked in a garage,with an alley entrance. I wraped some 1" rope through the spokes like chains,and drove to work.I was making fresh tracks on most streets. My boss was mad that I came to work,as everything was closed,he still had to pay me $1.25/hr. I used the $.25 car wash at least twice a week. I had a Trico vacuum fan,that helped keep the windshield clear. Two pencils stuck under the rear edge of the hood,also helped keep the windshield clear. While in class,I would cover the engine with a thick quilt,when the temp was near zero. In the garage at night I kept a 100 watt trouble light up against the engine block. My girl friend(now my wife) burned her leg from the heat coming out of the manifold heater.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
V4F

i lived in the high desert for like 32 yrs. snow / ice 6 months a yr. i bought a "tire groover" (sprint car stuff) . i "x"d & siped my rear tires & never had a problem ! it would back out of steep curbs & not spin a tire ......... i was lucky as no salt was used there , you just learn to drive in it !
Old 09-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Pete

I drive mine year around. I live in the mountains and chains are required much of winter. The A handles far better than my modern car in the snow. I have modern wipers and I wash the underside after I have had it out in the snow. I restored the car 15 years ago and no rust yet.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
dennisonk1957

yes, i saw that guy in a post on the fordbarn actually, thats what got me interested. he drove everyday 365. wow

I am enjoying all your stories and advise. thanks
Old 09-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #11
columbiA

Back in the 50,s I lived in the N-W coast of BC where the average snow fall was 20 to 30 ft per winter.I would drive my "A"7 miles to work & it was on the road every day. After 7 years & 75,000 miles,I sold it & the lower cowl was starting to rust thru due to road salt.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #12
jr-41ford

I'm really enjoying the '28 Tudor I bought in April, which replaced my early '28 Roadster. This has a very good heater, electric wipers, I'm planning on making it my daily driver pretty soon.

I have no issues driving it any kind of weather.

jr-41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #13
BCCHOPIT

Me and my kid playing in the snow

http://youtu.be/WduWijQSBPg
Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
Jerry Parr WI

In the late 50's I drove a 29 coupe as an everyday car in WI. These are just rambling recollections. The major problem was no windshield defroster. Required often driving with the window open to reduce the windshield fog. The car had a manifold heater but at -10 deg it was just a large hole letting in cold air. With the window cracked open it didn't matter much. Heavy snow was more than the wiper could handle. Once in a blizzard a friend rode on the fender with a windshield scraper until we got home. The high clearance made it possible to get thru snow when most cars couldn't. This was before salt on the roads. I would not drive in today's salt. I don't consider rain a problem and drive in it but I do put the top up!
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
mccsix

I drove around Chicago in the late 60's snow rain not a problem...frozen appendages were.

USN
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #16
mccsix

"out of your minds. Lack of any sense."
Thanks for your friendly comment!

USN
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
dennisonk1957

BCCHOPIT...that was fun! I wouldnt take mine like that but that sure was fun to watch...dads and sons having fun!

With all the great comments, Ill try it being wary of salt, to was the car and the underside following and to enjoy this great car....

I love getting students from my high school interested in this era of automobile...a Duesenberg would be a great car to add...I always thought they were beautiful...cant afford one but they are remarkable..
Old 09-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCHOPIT View Post
Me and my kid playing in the snow

http://youtu.be/WduWijQSBPg
Don't let your insurance company see that!!
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #19
jr-41ford

BCCHOPIT, that looks like fun! I could never get my roadster to do donuts in the snow.
jr-41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #20
BCCHOPIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr-41ford View Post
BCCHOPIT, that looks like fun! I could never get my roadster to do donuts in the snow.

2nd gear....you need wheel speed

I drive in the snow every winter.

cold ride to work with no heat