Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2017, 05:15 PM   #1
Arcieri

Default Wrong break backing plates for 1928 coupe ?

My 1928 Special Coupe was judged at the Loveland National Meet last year and scored very well.

I received an 8 point deduction on the 5000 point scale for "wrong backing plates for month/year". Not a huge deduction. This is NOT a knock on the guys doing the judging because, by golly, if you go to page 7-6 of the RG&JS it does show my car has the wrong ones and they called it like they saw it.

My car has a matched set of 4 that was not supposed to be installed at the factory in Dec of 1928. They were supposed to start a couple months later in early 1929. The car is an original unrestored car with a little under 15,000 miles. The car scored 453 points total so it is otherwise pretty much original in the eyes of the judges.

So, why would a previous owner remove all 4 of the 1st style plates and then reassemble every thing with the 2nd style ??

Here is my theory:
1.) The car was on a single post old style lift getting the brakes changed out. Tires, wheels, brake linings, etc. were all removed. Suddenly the lift failed and the car came crashing down on all four plates, rendering them unusable. The mechanic scrounged 4 identically matched 2nd style plates
and reassembled everything exactly like was done at the factory.

OR 2.) The plates were installed at the factory a couple months early and the RG&JS might show this on the next update. Area 7 was not updated in the 2016 revisions. The judges did like the rest of the brake system on this car however since they awarded full points for the rest of Area 7.

What do you guys think? Any evidence out there that the 2nd style plates could have been installed in late 1928?

Ray

(Edit)
Engine number for this car is 657,428 which I believe was
made on 11/20/1928. I listed a build month for the car of December 1928 on the judging sheets. Probably should have listed a Feb or Mar 1929 date.

Got this info from a National Judge who contacted me off line. Thanks

Last edited by Arcieri; 02-23-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Arcieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
160B

Default Re: Wrong break backing plates for 1928 coupe ?

Ray here is a summary of our discussion and a link to Steve Plucker's engine data.

Steve Plucker's..The Model "A" Engine Production Study

http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/studie...n%20Charts.pdf

Engine # 657428 produced Nov 20, 1928

RB&JS page 8 Revised 2011, “Engines placed into production vehicles up to three (3) months after assembly”

RG&JS Page 7-6 Revised 2011, 2nd backing plate introduced in early 1929

Vehicle could have been assembled as late as February 20, 1929

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?

Last edited by 160B; 02-23-2017 at 06:44 PM. Reason: corrected date from 29 to 20
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcieri View Post
My 1928 Special Coupe was judged at the Loveland National Meet last year and scored very well.

I received an 8 point deduction on the 5000 point scale for "wrong backing plates for month/year". Not a huge deduction. This is NOT a knock on the guys doing the judging because, by golly, if you go to page 7-6 of the RG&JS it does show my car has the wrong ones and they called it like they saw it.

My car has a matched set of 4 that was not supposed to be installed at the factory in Dec of 1928. They were supposed to start a couple months later in early 1929. The car is an original unrestored car with a little under 15,000 miles. The car scored 453 points total so it is otherwise pretty much original in the eyes of the judges.

So, why would a previous owner remove all 4 of the 1st style plates and then reassemble every thing with the 2nd style ??

Here is my theory:
1.) The car was on a single post old style lift getting the brakes changed out. Tires, wheels, brake linings, etc. were all removed. Suddenly the lift failed and the car came crashing down on all four plates, rendering them unusable. The mechanic scrounged 4 identically matched 2nd style plates
and reassembled everything exactly like was done at the factory.

OR 2.) The plates were installed at the factory a couple months early and the RG&JS might show this on the next update. Area 7 was not updated in the 2016 revisions. The judges did like the rest of the brake system on this car however since they awarded full points for the rest of Area 7.

What do you guys think? Any evidence out there that the 2nd style plates could have been installed in late 1928?

Ray

(Edit)
Engine number for this car is 657,428 which I believe was
made on 11/20/1928. I listed a build month for the car of December 1928 on the judging sheets. Probably should have listed a Feb or Mar 1929 date.

Got this info from a National Judge who contacted me off line. Thanks
Yes!...just went through this same question with a Senior JS official..
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:05 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

What is the date on the gas tank?

What is the date on the rear of the speedometer?

Look at many other details to date your car, as many changes were made during this time period.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote