Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #21
Jason in TX

Default Re: New hi compression heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by J and M Machine View Post
Jason In Texas: I think you missed the point of this posting.
This posting is about new heads that need to be machined out of the box.
Your Brumfield head looks to me that is has been on your vehicle for years.
I understand that it's warped, looks to me from overheating as I mentioned in my earlier post.
Really doesn't have anything to do with the initial posters concern other than you resurfaced a Brumfield head and the pictures to prove it after it's been used.
Drilling the steam holes in the center didn't help either as Brumfield always spec'ed an R1-R3 gasket not Model B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
I seem to remember synders heads many times need to be milled. I was wondering if it was baked in an oven for a few hrs, then milled,would that help alleviate future warping? Appreciate your insight and experiences. Thanks. Chuck
Hi J and M Machine. People responding to each other's posts. Your response in #6 wasn't to the original poster. It was to Tom Wesenberg, and also made reference to Brent and myself. I just posted my experience.

I also noticed that you think you answered the original poster's question of milling a head"new out of the box" but he actually asked about heads that have been through hot cycles needing milling and if he should preheat his head a few times and then mill it to prevent the future warping that is associated with hot used heads.

I feel I did not miss the point at all showing pictures of my hot used head and the amount of milling I had to do. The original poster states that he appreciates us sharing our insights and experiences.

I did not put those steam holes in my head either. This head was on my car when I bought it. The head is also not low where the steam holes are. That area didn't warp.

We all thank you for your input and sharing your knowledge. It is ok for multiple sources to share their personal experiences and it is ok that other peoples personal experiences differ from yours. The average high temperature for the year in Southborough MA is 64 degrees and average low is 45 degrees. The average high temperature for the year where I am is 84 degrees and the minimum is 65 degrees. We all experience different lives.

Last edited by Jason in TX; 09-20-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #22
Jason in TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Hopefully the correct head gasket will be used this time around. I'd like to hear down the road if that solves the "warpage" and blown head gasket problem for Jason.
Marshall
The Brumfield head formed a crack in the dome of the combustion chamber a few years later and leaked water into my cylinders. I only discovered this when I would park my car for a few weeks and then when I would go to start it, it would blow sooty water out of the tail pipe. Looking back at my pictutures, it came from those steam holes that I had no idea shouldn't be there until now, so you're right. Those holes are no good.

Because the head was cracked, I threw it in the trash and went with a Snyders head. I've since driven the car all over Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, and Wyoming's Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. Working great!

Last edited by Jason in TX; 09-20-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

"The average high temperature for the year in Southborough MA is 64 degrees and average low is 45 degrees. The average high temperature for the year where I am is 84 degrees and the minimum is 65 degrees."

Holy buckets, both places sure beat the heck out of Minnesota weather.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:39 PM   #24
J and M Machine

Could of fooled us about Average temperature here this year.
You're right about the holes being no good if your engine is a Model A doesn't serve any purpose I also see that head is cracked and that's from overheating.

Looking closely at the deck surface of the un machined head I can see a "This side up "
Evidently must not of been a copper gasket. Brumfield was a stickler to have the correct copper gasket under his heads.

Too bad you threw the head away as there was one on ebay and went for three hundred dollars that was cracked. We could of easily repaired it and plugged the holes.
J and M Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #25
Marshall V. Daut

Hi, Chuck in Sea/Tac -
Here's a link to an interesting read written by Larry Brumfield that is published on the Ford Garage's web site. It may provide answers to your original question, as well as present insights to the rest of us Model A guys interested in higher compression heads and their manufacture: http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/headflatness.htm.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #26
[email protected]

In the last couple of months I was made aware of some local fellow club members (3 total) having gasket failures with the new gasket and the Synder's High compression head. Upon head removal for gasket replacement they had their heads machine checked and surfaced. They were all over .010 to 0.12 from flat. They assumed these heads were bolt on. Maybe though this warpage was brought on by being on the engine..
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #27
Chuck Sea/Tac

Well, I didn’t heat the head, but it wasn’t level and the machine shop took .007” off before it cleaned up. Not real happy about that.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #28
1930artdeco

I bolted my 5.5 Snyder head on and she leaked. Took it to a shop and killed her flat. Ever since then it has been great. Not upset.

Mike