Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
36tbird

Default '42 to '48 fan assy in a '36 Ford

I've been eyeballing the room I have between the 59A and radiator in the '36 Ford I am assembling. Looks like the '42 to '48 fan driven off the crankshaft pulley may fit. This set up appeals to me in order to position the fan in the center of the radiator rather than being higher when mounted off the generator. I'm sure that this has been attempted before. Will this fan assembly fit?
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: '42 to '48 fan assy in a '36 Ford

36tbird
There is a recent thread on the HAMB about this very subject. Most are shoe horning the motors into model As but the ideas are all pretty interesting. Check it out
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...light=flathead

A lot of folks have been asking this question lately. If the pulley on the crank will work in there you'd just have to see if the hub, fan, & belt will fit and work. It does sit fairly far forward. I'm always looking for different ideas on fan mounts for my AV8 project to come. One of these days I won't be so busy and we can get acquainted.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
36tbird

Yo Kerby,
The lower crank pulley is well clear. Found what looks like a really nice 6 bladed fan assy on the 'bay that I bought. When it gets here, I'll get to see if it fits. I find it hard to believe that I am in uncharted territory. Have a good T-day, we'll run into each other one of these days. Lou
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
Kahuna

Hey Lou
On the thread for Engine Pics, there is a setup that a guy's using for a 35 Ford. Might be just what you want?
Happy TG
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Hey Lou
On the thread for Engine Pics, there is a setup that a guy's using for a 35 Ford. Might be just what you want?
Happy TG
Jim
I don't know how he is going to get upper water hoses by that fan to the radiator??
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
rotorwrench

Lou
I found an old one on the HAMB, mostly about measurements and also more geared toward AV8s.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...onal&showall=1

Some of the measurements for the 21A type fan is similar to what I have with the late 8CM Mercury types. With the crab type distributor set up, the fan hub shaft can most likely be shortened on a 21A, if necessary, for the fan to still clear. This would also require relocating the drive pulley though. Some of the old truck crank pulleys were real close together and might be used to align belt drive for such a set up.

I hope it works without mod though. There seems like a fair amount of folks that would like to know if it works or not. Most of the six blader fans that I can think of were for crank mounted fans like the 39 deluxe through 41.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote