Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #41
updraught

Default Re: Running Single Plate in California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
Washington state recently passed a law requiring the weight of all vehicles when you first register them. They will try to look it up on the internet, but if they can't find it in just a couple of searches, you must take it to be weighed at a certified scale.

Also, in Washington, if your car qualifies for a collector plate or horseless carraige plate, they only supply you with one plate. If you run YOM plates, you only need one, but it must match the type of vehicle. Why can't this sort of crap be standardized accross all states?
We also have state laws that control motor registration. Back in the 70's the state of Victoria here, was the first to introduce seat belts. This halved the road toll. Since then state governments have been emboldened to continually bring in new, more restrictive laws. Especially since we have somewhat free hospitals (paid mostly by the govt.).
Some of these laws have been brought up by Syncro to do with wheel size, some bureaucrat probably got a promotion out of it ...

However, in the state of New South Wales the vintage car, hot rod and 4wd clubs got together. A 4wd club magazine interviewed the potential politicians before the state elections, when they were in opposition, about what they would do with vehicle laws if they were elected.
On tape they said they would get rid of restrictive laws (that was what their party stood for, small govt.).

Anyway, the party got elected. When they got elected the govt. decided to go along with the bureaucrats and introduce more restrictive laws.
One of the things the govt. was told by the bureaucrats was that there should be no modified vehicles.

The govt put this to the combined motor clubs and the response was "well there goes all your emergency vehicles!".
As New South Wales is part Outback, it didn't seem to be a good thing as the emergency vehicle fleet like police and ambulance, need to be part 4wd with considerable modifications.
So the govt. said that the bureaucrats had to negotiate with the combined car clubs.
Hence, the laws on wheels size and suspensions lifts etc. have been watered down through negotiation, from what the bureaucrats had in mind.

As there is a federal move to harmonize state laws it is hoped that the New South Wales laws will become general throughout the country.

Anyways, that is the story as I know it.

I gather the UK has national vehicle laws.
Maybe after the royal wedding in a weeks time things will get better for you
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #42
KenCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Gil,

I see a lot of vehicles with out-of-state plates that have obviously not re-registered in California because they have stickers that are several years behind. I wish they would target those vehicles first because they are getting a free ride.

David Serrano
I used to work with a guy who had played professional sports. His car was registered in a state that was not California where he had played for a while because the annual fees were less in the other state. California did catch him, made him pay a fine and register correctly in California.
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #43
KenCoupe

Californians can join the Association of California Car Clubs (ACCC). Our club contributes to this organization every year, and individuals can also join. They lobby the state legislature on laws involving collector cars.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:04 PM   #44
KenCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Gil,

I see a lot of vehicles with out-of-state plates that have obviously not re-registered in California because they have stickers that are several years behind. I wish they would target those vehicles first because they are getting a free ride.

David Serrano
I used to work with a guy who had played professional sports. His car was registered in a state that was not California where he had played for a while because the annual fees were less in the other state. California did catch him, made him pay a fine and register correctly in California.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:32 PM   #45
Chris Haynes

In CA you licence plate must be from the same state your drivers license is from.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #46
BILL WILLIAMSON

When HASSLED by AUTHORITIES, limp a LOT & give them your car pic, to hang on their FRIDGE!
Bill Conman