Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2017, 09:30 PM   #21
mhsprecher

Default Re: Some Hershey Observations

Good comments, Dean.

I have yet to write my Hershey story for this year, but I had a great time. I have a ton of pics to post, too. I am trying to figure out the platform to use to share them. Uploading them one at a time is a pain in the neck.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:09 PM   #22
montanafordman

This was my first year attending Hershey! I work as an airline pilot so its not too hard to get around the country if I have the time - especially if I'm traveling solo. I kicked around the idea of stopping by sometime and some friends from my local club that were attending encouraged me to join them. (enablers I tell you!)

I only had a couple days so my time there was unfortunately brief. I arrived around noon on Tuesday and walked most of chocolate north and red flea market before things were officially kicked off. On Wednesday I walked Green and Orange and some of chocolate south. This left me with only Thursday until about 12:30pm to see the rest of chocolate south and I didn't even finish it! (let alone get back to chocolate north) aside from the beeline through it back to where we were staying a few blocks east of the grounds.

I must say I was amazed on many levels. I expected it to be big, but I didn't expect in that time I'd feel like I missed seeing 30% of the field or more. I did find pretty much exactly everything I had hoped to find in original parts maybe save for those elusive $20 NOS fenders... . Attending Hershey saved a lot of searching online for the correct timeframe original parts. There is a major benefit to being able to handle parts personally too rather than going on a couple pictures and someones word. I don't feel like I made any smoking deals but I don't feel that I overpaid either. It was one stop shopping for things I have been searching for, for quite some time. I also did ok in the fact I had friends willing to drive my goods all the way back to Washington State while I hopped on a plane and went back to work. I enjoyed meeting other people in the hobby and it was fun connecting with some sellers and seeing them get excited about a guy under 40 doing a restoration - and then seeing the boost to their enthusiasm and their salesmanship game haha.

Another cool observation was all the oddball and rare parts for now defunct automakers. Looking for parts for a Hispano-Suiza, Willys Overland, Stutz, Packard, Kaiser, Pierce Arrow, Franklin, Deusenberg, Auburn, or Studebaker? yep there were guys selling that stuff. I will never be on the same planet of some of those makes and couldn't fathom employing a machine shop and tool and die maker to keep one on the road when something breaks but it was cool to see. Automotive history and art in the flesh.

Its too bad I hardly saw anyone under 45-50 the entire time I was there. The subject of youth and our hobby has been pretty beaten to death. I'm certain younger people that are involved in actively restoring an old car make much more use of social media, craigslist, and ebay to find what they need without ever leaving home. I know I have to some degree when I get specific about what I'm looking for. I do love going to our local swap meets but unfortunately it seems with every passing year I find less and less at our local meets too. I'm pretty sure I bought a couple minor things from Dave Frazier and was impressed at the variety and quantity of good original stuff he had and was saddened to hear it was his last year. I'm afraid that narrative will be replayed more and more as the really knowledgeable people with incredible access to the original parts that keep us going scale back their activities. I totally see Brent's point of view but feel the way Dean does. Hopefully I'll get to go again sometime and spend a little more time - and while I'm at it spend more time getting to know individuals and associate with users on the fordbarn.

-Aaron
Old 10-12-2017, 07:08 AM   #23
Flop

Quit complaining and go enjoy it ! It's the best week of my year . Haven't missed it in 12 years .

The rush and thrill of walking 2 hours and finding your rare part just sitting there with a cheap price tag on it !

Got a 32 3 window door for 300 bux . 2 early 32 firewalls for 750 . Pines winter front for a 28/9 for 20 dollars .

Also it saves shipping you get to haggle and closely examine the parts for imperfections the seller would never tell you about online .

I was building a commercial model a cowl in my stall with parts I brought .

Also got a damn nice 28/9 roadster cowl for 250 bux .

It was a buyers market .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.0 KB, 77 views)

https://www.facebook.com/flop.custom

Last edited by Flop; 10-12-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:09 AM   #24
Flop

The commercial cowl we were building
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.0 KB, 64 views)

Old 10-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #25
Flop

Then we started building a 3w with parts we found at the show
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (79.0 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by Flop; 10-12-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:47 AM   #26
Flop

And the booth . Practically sold out of parts by Friday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.9 KB, 123 views)

Old 10-12-2017, 07:56 AM   #27
Steve_Mack_CT

Walking around I hear two schools of thought every year:

1) Things suck this year. No good parts, too many empty spaces. If rainy, add crabby vendors to that list.

2) Holy Cow Batman, one would need a month to see everything here, it is overwhelming, awesome and the best week of the year.

Things do change, but I prefer to lump myself into camp #2 of this basically even split. Within an hour I found some nice parts that were good deals repro boards for a very reasonable $110, a nice wheel for $20, and some gas & oils smalls. Biggest problem was of course they were all in the orange field, requiring a loss of 30 minutes or so to get back to the car.

Looked for three days for a '30 Standard roadster top frame, and came up dry - put a deal together on one yesterday, completely unexpected thanks to an online ad. So the point is today we have more sources for parts than 25 years ago. You just need to use all your tools so to speak. It might change things a bit for live meets, but I don't think it kills the availability of good parts - especially for early Fords in general at Hershey.

I am counting days already to next year!
Old 10-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #28
Will Ziegler in LI NY

I can sell nothing, buy nothing and have it rain at Hershey and I will still have a great time.

The joy of seeing friends that you have not seen in a year coupled with the opportunity to search for and potentially find a treasure is a thrill.

I have been going for 30+ years and my 19 yr old son since he was 4. A number of years my father was there, so we had 3 generations at Hershey.

I can't wait till next year. It's the greatest swap meet there is.
Will Ziegler in LI NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:26 PM   #29
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
Hershey was as much fun as ever, though I felt attendance by both Flea Market Vendors and Shoppers was down. There was a great number of German shoppers who seemed to be BUYING rather than US lookers.
That is how it should be : posting and sharing pictures so people who can't go to auctions, shows, etc ... can enjoy also !
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:32 PM   #30
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Hey Brent, I'm not a sports fan but I'd say it's like the difference between going to see the game or watching it on TV. There is a difference and I bet most people would rather go to the game.
I think you should not compare games with a car show.
A car you can inspect and view better in real and a game you can watch better on TV. There is no way you can see all the details of a game live - on TV you see any angle and shot.
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:53 PM   #31
updraught

Are there any large swap meets in the world that have remained the same for the last 30-40 years?
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:44 AM   #32
Bruce Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I give up, what is the red car in the top middle photo? to the right of the woodie
A Ghia at the auction.[/QUOTE]

Its a DUAL-GHIA
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #33
Jeff/Illinois

NFL.... what's that? I quit watching that nonsense this year for all the right reasons and refuse to waste my time watching those overpaid dummies. Plus the Bears suck anyway, is Cuttler back in another jersey I did skim the paper the other day,,, they are pathetic.

The picture of all the gas globes and signs, they all be fakes, they're re-pops. Not much value in any of that. I'm sure the unenlightened got took.

Never been to Hershey I was going this year and couldn't, something came up. Had to cancel my B&B reservation gave up some cash but it had to happen. Never say never one day I will get out there. One day. Each year for the last three years I had to scrub the plans somebody close to the family was dying from cancer, one year I was dying from cancer but still here, this year it was someone else. Must be the fall season
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #34
brum1

more Hershey pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_0617.jpg (125.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0635.jpg (72.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0621.jpg (85.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0661.jpg (63.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0681.jpg (40.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0636.jpg (73.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0640.jpg (82.0 KB, 72 views)
Old 10-14-2017, 10:05 AM   #35
rocket1

as a long time Hershey vendor I can see the change,more empty flea spots as the vendors get older,also I agree not many young people.I left early Friday as the customer traffic in the orange field was almost nonexistent
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #36
bettlesr

I got my best deal (a complete front set of "35 brakes for $40) Friday afternoon in the green field.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #37
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulligen View Post
I have been messing with old cars for 45 years and have never been able to go. I still work everyday to make ends meet. I was lucky to get in the hobby when a kid could save up and buy an old jalopy ( and I still have it). I would love to go some year before I can't enjoy it.
Life is short, take time to smell the rust. Go NEXT year. Two days minimum!
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #38
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean from bozeman View Post
leo, i totally agree with you. I'd rather go see a game. I'd rather go to hershey than sit in a chair and look at ebay though the lord knows that i have done my share of buying on ebay!

To measure hershey by just considering buying and selling is missing some big benefits:

1. The exchange of information, be it how to do something when restoring a vehicle or just keeping it running, is invaluable.

2. The face to face meeting of someone you have communicated with, bought something from over the internet (including fordbarn) or have a friend in common should not be underestimated.

3. Learning the differences between parts from a friend or even a seller can help immensely when you want your vehicle to look and/or run correctly.

4. I'd rather see a part in person than rely on photos from a seller on the internet. When selling via the internet i always ask if the potential buyer would like to see more photos or photos of a particular part of the item that is for sale. However, seeing a part in person can tell you immediately if it is worth the price or you should pass.

5. On ebay the price goes up as the auction goes on. Sometimes the final price reveals a bargain. Sometimes not. At a swap meet you can bundle and bargain.

6. What kid didn't like to hunt for easter eggs and candy? Finding a part that you or a friend needs is a wonderful experience.

7. When you walk up and down the aisles at hershey you hear a lot of laughing. Good old laughter truly is a salve of life.

8. Dreams start, continue and can end at swap meets like hershey. Whether it's the car corral or the isolated vehicle, dreams can start when you see the right one. I saw and bought a495 in the old green field. Dreams can continue when you find the right parts or find someone to do the correct job. Dreams can end when you see a sold sign. But as dusk for some is dawn for others (depends on your perspective relative to the sun), a seller's dream ends at the same time as a buyer's dream begins.

9. There is also sadness at hershey. This time, when talking to a good friend, i found out about the passing of jerry dewitt. I wandered aimless for a while. It felt like i was kicked in the gut. I passed the spaces that used to belong to friends doc kalinka and steve ciccalone. Dave frazier also told me that this would be his last hershey. Soon an auction will send his entire parts and memorabilia collection to various buyers. Time changes many things.

10. There is also hope for a new generation of car enthusiasts. As i sat at gary johnson's space, there were a few times when younger guys stopped by for parts and/or advice. There are numerous younger people walking among the swap spaces with parents and grandparents.

You know it is easy to come up with reasons for not attending. I could have said, "a495 is done what do i need to go to hershey for?". But then i wouldn't have found parts needed by friends in the hobby. I would not have seen barn finds covered with dust and hay. I would not have laughed with friends as we shared dinner or enjoyed a few beers with them.

Leo, i'm with you. Attend the game. Attend the meet. Attend the swap, rally, show or whatever.

When at hershey i told my buddy, tim kelly, it was great to see him and his reply was, 'better to be seen than viewed'. So true.
amen!
Old 10-14-2017, 05:38 PM   #39
Roadster62

This was my 48th Hershey in a row, had a Great Time! Sold a lot of unwanted things, bought a lot of needed items plus things to flip, knowledge is power, not everything in the world is Model A Ford related.

Bob
Old 10-14-2017, 05:42 PM   #40
Ted Duke

The young people were there on Friday. Lot's of high school age (mostly girls) with their Dads. All were looking for "something", not just looking like I was. Guess they are in school during the week.