Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2021, 10:21 AM   #41
5851a

Default Re: How difficult would it be to convert this water heater from 12V to 6V?

Does an A have enough water pump pressure to circulate water through a heater core. I'm just curious as I've never thought about it.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:04 PM   #42
shew01

Default Re: How difficult would it be to convert this water heater from 12V to 6V?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
Does an A have enough water pump pressure to circulate water through a heater core. I'm just curious as I've never thought about it.

I’ve been wondering about that as well.

It looks like the Snyder’s hookup kit has a curved pipe that snags water in an effort to push it though the heater.

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...earchByKeyword

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:29 PM   #43
5851a

Thanks for the answer.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:14 PM   #44
mass A man

Plan "C" might be getting an original Autolite manifold heater. They work very well.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:48 PM   #45
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass A man View Post
Plan "C" might be getting an original Autolite manifold heater. They work very well.

Yeah, I’ve considered that, but I don’t want to cut the firewall. I’m hoping I can put a couple of heater hose holes in the wood floor, but the jury is still out on whether the water will actually circulate to the heater or not. When temperatures get warmer, I plan to check out fan speeding 6V and on the 12V converter. We’ll see where this project goes from there.

Old 02-05-2021, 05:31 PM   #46
DHZIEMAN

This converter may be overkill but the motors in that heater, if run on 6 volts may be just fine but if you want to do as little mod as possible, Then this item from Amazon will convert 6V dc to 12 and no other mods are needed! https://www.amazon.com/DIGITEN-Conve...omotive&sr=1-3
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:34 AM   #47
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHZIEMAN View Post
This converter may be overkill but the motors in that heater, if run on 6 volts may be just fine but if you want to do as little mod as possible, Then this item from Amazon will convert 6V dc to 12 and no other mods are needed! https://www.amazon.com/DIGITEN-Conve...omotive&sr=1-3

Thanks, I ordered one.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:18 AM   #48
nkaminar

My car came with a coolant powered heater in a box. It had been installed in the car before so the holes in the firewall were already there. I re-installed it but wanted to use the tap in the outlet neck instead of the adapter in the hose. So I make my own scoop by soldering a modified copper elbow into a brass pipe nipple. I have a thermostat, which is in the radiator hose. The heater works great even in the freezing temperatures we have had here recently. The car is insulated. It is a four door and the heat reaches the back seat. The heater is the boxy one available from the vendors. I put a ball valve in the line so that I can turn off the hot coolant to the heater in the summer.

I think there are different water pumps available that pump more coolant than others.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 02:07 PM   #49
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
My car came with a coolant powered heater in a box. It had been installed in the car before so the holes in the firewall were already there. I re-installed it but wanted to use the tap in the outlet neck instead of the adapter in the hose. So I make my own scoop by soldering a modified copper elbow into a brass pipe nipple. I have a thermostat, which is in the radiator hose. The heater works great even in the freezing temperatures we have had here recently. The car is insulated. It is a four door and the heat reaches the back seat. The heater is the boxy one available from the vendors. I put a ball valve in the line so that I can turn off the hot coolant to the heater in the summer.

I think there are different water pumps available that pump more coolant than others.

That’s interesting. Would you mind posting some pictures of how you have it mounted in the car and in the engine bay?

Old 02-07-2021, 10:06 AM   #50
DHZIEMAN

Happy to suggest! Let us know how it works out!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote