Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2019, 12:51 AM   #1
Russ/40

Default The Old Opportunity Motor

The opportunity to learn a new skill was at hand today. You may remember my"A" block that I had such hopes for it. Well I took another step. Decided to clean the insides a bit better than the "shake and Bake" did. Set the block up nice and level and proceeded to fill it with vinegar. I was met with a fountain of vinegar springing from the back side of the block. OH POOP! Dumped the vinegar out and explored the leaking spot, Poked it with an ice-pick and the hole got bigger. Proceeded to plug the leak and filled the block with water to let it sit overnight to check for other leaks.
No leaks in the morning so I started working on the back of the block. Opened the hole to dime size due to the extremely thin wall of the block. I silver soldered a copper plug for the back hole, then went to work on the crack as seen below. Learned a lot about stitching. The crack was 3 1/2" long. I started in the middle and stitched to the right end, went back to the middle and completed the process to the left. Learned quickly how deep to set the screws. No deeper that the wall thickness, which is a problem on this "Wonderful" block.
The stitching went pretty good, used 22 screws or plugs, what ever they are, and had a good result.
I have concluded the whole experience has prepared me for a skill I hope I never have to use again. I have concluded this block does not warrant any further expense and is not going to be rebuilt. Chalk it up to experience, examine the water-jackets closely, and access rust damage. Walls seriously rusted - too risky to spend on Babbit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model a close-up.jpg (106.4 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg 20191221_131544.jpg (96.2 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg 20191221_135552.jpg (79.3 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 20191221_131446.jpg (97.4 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 20191221_131350.jpg (83.0 KB, 163 views)
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:45 AM   #2
eagle

Default Re: The Old Opportunity Motor

Is the existing babbitt shot? If not you could make a spare engine pretty cheaply, and gain some good experience at the same time. Fun too.
Old 12-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #3
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Is the existing babbitt shot? If not you could make a spare engine pretty cheaply, and gain some good experience at the same time. Fun too.
I agree.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #4
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
That was kind of the plan originally. The babbit was toast though, and I made the decision to shake and bake the block to clean it knowing the babbit would be baked out in the process. I would have been willing to re-babbit the block if everything else was in decent shape. At every step, it was apparent the block had many paper thin spots that risking it had too many opportunities to just throw away money. So, I decided to chalk it up to a self teaching opportunity. I did learn a lot about iron stitching. I also learned stitching will not compensate for lack of wall thickness.

I was excited for the opportunity to stitch that crack. I like to do everything myself as it offers the opportunity to not only solve my problems as they arise, but to help others when they are in need.
Old 12-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #5
dennis lumbert

Thanks for taking the time to share this Russ /40. Dennis
dennis lumbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #6
Chuck Dempsey

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Interesting, well written report. (Your old teachers would be proud...) Thanks for sharing!
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:24 PM   #7
Dodge

After the shake and bake I take a very small ball peen hammer and tap around on the block, you can hear the thin spots.
I’ve used a sonic checker and the ball peen as the sonic checker some times gets fooled with older rusted blocks.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:13 AM   #8
Russ/40

It is established, the "opportunity motor" is a motor NOT. There must be some useful purpose for what is left. Perhaps cut the top 3/4" off and make a torque plate out of it. Or perhaps a plate for pressure testing "A" blocks.

What say you guys and gals. What else can you think of in repurposing what is left.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
It is established, the "opportunity motor" is a motor NOT. There must be some useful purpose for what is left. Perhaps cut the top 3/4" off and make a torque plate out of it. Or perhaps a plate for pressure testing "A" blocks.

What say you guys and gals. What else can you think of in repurposing what is left.
Yard Art?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 02:18 AM   #10
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post

Solder plates over the holes? Or if you have a vintage farm implement you could do like they did in the old days & make a 'shortened' engine to match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL1yiIh-IGw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVWYEvOxdFE

Or a cut away engine

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable

Last edited by dumb person; 12-24-2019 at 02:25 AM.
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 02:54 AM   #11
Dodge

Do you own a boat that needs an anchor? I like the torque plate idea although it needs to be thicker than 3/4’s of an inch to work.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:30 AM   #12
Corley

How about turning some adaptors to replace the babbit, adaptors are clam shells that go between the block and some insert bearings. It will become the goto fix, and you will get rich. Your wildest dreams of fame and fortune will come true, and you will invest in space travel, where the gov. will fund your next big discoveries, making you even richer when you discover the fountain of youth on planet zebruniky.

But wait, I kind of got side tracked for a minute there... Actually, I'd chalk it up to fun.

Or, you could practice your cast iron welding skills on it so next time you have another option. Years ago, I bought a tractor with a rod hanging out the side of the block. The block hole piece was missing, about 2" in diameter, so I cut a piece of sheet metal to fit the hole, and tried to weld it in place. Used what we called "Ni rod". High Nickle content. It would crack right behind my weld. Tried it from the inside, outside, etc. Until I gave up and smeared it over with body filler. Been running fine for over 25 years now with no leaks, no peal off, or any issues. Great $100 tractor.

Junk can be fun!
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote