Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2020, 06:17 PM   #21
chrs1961815

Default Re: Model A Day at Gilmore Cancelled!!!

Whether people like it or not, the reality is that a lot of people are going to catch it in the meantime before a vaccine is created and a herd immunity situation will probably occur. People will always die, and we definetely to protect those at risk and who are older like us hobbyists. But we have to come up with some kind of alternative in the meantime to keep this hobby alive.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #22
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I am definitely OK with whatever decision is made on this, ...but with that said, we were discussing this the other day and so I would like to hear y'alls opinions on the following.

What needs to change before YOU personally would attend any type of event like this? In other words, let's assume they have not found a vaccine by this time next year for this virus. Let's say that the numbers are down a tad from what they are now but there are still new cases being reported, -and just as in the case of present day Pneumonia or strains of Influenza where we still see people succumb to those type of diseases, do you think we will ever feel comfortable enough to attend these type of events again?
Brent brought up the extracurricular activity, most of the comments seem fairly relevant considering.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:06 PM   #23
mfarley

Quote:
I am definitely OK with whatever decision is made on this, ...but with that said, we were discussing this the other day and so I would like to hear y'alls opinions on the following.

What needs to change before YOU personally would attend any type of event like this? In other words, let's assume they have not found a vaccine by this time next year for this virus. Let's say that the numbers are down a tad from what they are now but there are still new cases being reported, -and just as in the case of present day Pneumonia or strains of Influenza where we still see people succumb to those type of diseases, do you think we will ever feel comfortable enough to attend these type of events again?
Nothing. Absolutely nothing needs to change for me to be comfortable.

Last edited by mfarley; 07-16-2020 at 06:28 PM.
mfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:26 PM   #24
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post
Obviously many of us are.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:48 AM   #25
Jason in TX

To answer the question of "What would I need" to attend car events?

I would want an option to drive my car through the event like a parade, and possibly stay in my car. Maybe have the event at a drive in outdoor theater. If you get out and walk around the cars, require masks be worn and ask people to adhere to keeping their distance.

However I would think that people would drive in, a cluster of folks would gather under someone's hood, or lean on each other's open windows, sit in circles of lawn chairs together for a few hours, and these actions do not prevent the spread of the virus.

I work in medical and see the results of this virus daily. I'm not so much scared about wearing a mask and saying hello to someone. I do not like going to locations like restaurants and seeing people not understanding what is required to stay healthy. Pre-Covid, I hated watching people touching their face, coughing in their hands, picking their nose or using the bathroom and not wash their hands and then going back to their table and eating french fries, tortilla chips, hamburgers and finger food. People are just not good at hygiene in general. Now its constantly announced to people to practice good hygiene and it just ruins my mood watching others STILL not have a clue. I don't want to sit somewhere for an hour watching others not follow these rules and be angry or grossed out.

So ME... I would cruise through and then head home so that I'm not grumpy the whole time around folks who don't get it.

Last edited by Jason in TX; 07-17-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 05:18 AM   #26
dr.j

Every event with our Model A and Austin Healey have been cancelled for 2020. Next winter in AZ to escape the snow and -40 is out of the question at this point. The solution: a vaccine.
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:08 AM   #27
1931 flamingo

Went to a show this past Sunday at the local American Legion put on by "Over The Hill Gang: (Thanks ! !), First around here. Approx 325 cars. Lots not wearing masks BUT distancing themselves. When my friend and I went to get food we wore masks as did the cooks. Fun time.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:19 AM   #28
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
To answer the question of "What would I need" to attend car events?

I would want an option to drive my car through the event like a parade, and possibly stay in my car. Maybe have the event at a drive in outdoor theater. If you get out and walk around the cars, require masks be worn and ask people to adhere to keeping their distance.

However I would think that people would drive in, a cluster of folks would gather under someone's hood, or lean on each other's open windows, sit in circles of lawn chairs together for a few hours, and these actions do not prevent the spread of the virus.

I work in medical and see the results of this virus daily. I'm not so much scared about wearing a mask and saying hello to someone. I do not like going to locations like restaurants and seeing people not understanding what is required to stay healthy. Pre-Covid, I hated watching people touching their face, coughing in their hands, picking their nose or using the bathroom and not wash their hands and then going back to their table and eating french fries, tortilla chips, hamburgers and finger food. People are just not good at hygiene in general. Now its constantly announced to people to practice good hygiene and it just ruins my mood watching others STILL not have a clue. I don't want to sit somewhere for an hour watching others not follow these rules and be angry or grossed out.

So ME... I would cruise through and then head home so that I'm not grumpy the whole time around folks who don't get it.
Thanks, Jason. I appreciate your incites coming from someone in the Medical Field.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:50 AM   #29
swo4rd

The vaccine is mandatory.
I have volunteered to do the test protocol.
The expectation now is that it will be available in October with mass vaccinations in February to July. The doctor that told me this is in touch with the world community and he has stated that Oxford, UK, Cambridge MA, another place on the left coast, are in the slot to get it done. The Russians are spying on our processes to expedite their tardiness in dealing with it and the Chinese communist government? Incidentally, when this is all over, Li Keqiang gonna have some splainin about why he should not be charged with crimes against humanity...
Two major pharmaceutical companies in our region have begun ordering raw materials...believe it or now, we grow most of what will be needed in the fields of this Nation...necessary to cook the vaccine, and the expectation is that, like polio, it will be administrated at public health facilities...hopefully WITHOUT Bill Gates micro chips in the mix...Until then, everyone sit tight...
Once the vaccine is available, consider the math...there are 3.4M folks in this United States, and if we were to inoculate 600,000 a day, an outrageous optimistic number that is limited by the health facilities available and the staff...it will take 550 or so working days to do that...given 250 or so working days in a year, that is about two and a half years to get everyone safe...of course some will not vaccinate for any reason...that is fine...My good Doc says a booster, like the old polio days, will be required too...So lets just say if you are on the bottom of the food chain, you may be 3 years or so away from safety...after the vaccination is approved...
So, batten down the hatches Mom, we have a long sail ahead of us...
Everyone stay safe
Wear your masks
and do what we do
Just do not go out anywhere...
Get an AC in the garage and work on your cars...
In particular, do not go to places that may be exposed...OH, and if you have a swimming pool...the good Doc says there is probably enough chlorine in any pool to completely rid the world of CV19...
So...that tells me the safest place to be is in your pool, maybe sipping a gin and tonic, quinine water and alcohol you know, and just gazing at the clear blue sky not filled with vapor trails of the jets taking the traveling public to strange and exotic lands and hear the earth sigh a huge sigh of relief...
Somebody want to address what this will do to the economy? ha...save those gold coins...
swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:40 PM   #30
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Went to a show this past Sunday at the local American Legion put on by "Over The Hill Gang: (Thanks ! !), First around here. Approx 325 cars. Lots not wearing masks BUT distancing themselves. When my friend and I went to get food we wore masks as did the cooks. Fun time.
Paul in CT
With all due respect, I do not believe it was wise or prudent for 325 hobbyists to gather in the same spot. It is indeed tempting fate as social distancing is virtually impossible. It is indeed conceivable some people attending will catch the virus. I certainly don’t congratulate the organizers. In my opinion it was a lack of sound judgment!
Old 07-20-2020, 10:34 AM   #31
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
With all due respect, I do not believe it was wise or prudent for 325 hobbyists to gather in the same spot. It is indeed tempting fate as social distancing is virtually impossible. It is indeed conceivable some people attending will catch the virus. I certainly don’t congratulate the organizers. In my opinion it was a lack of sound judgment!

I guess my view is different. Paul was clear there were people attending however they were distancing themselves. Likely the ones who felt they needed to wear a mask did so. The ones that felt attending this show was too risky for their health likely did not attend.

Maybe we all need to step back and reconsider our judging of others as to what is right or wrong. There are many things each of us do each day that can be considered life-threatening to ourselves -but not to others. It is up to each of us to decide what the risk is to our own lives and well-being. We really cannot continue to live our life in fear of the 'what ifs'. If so, driving, -or even just owning our Model-As can easily create a long list of 'what ifs'.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #32
Ruth

Quote:
There are many things each of us do each day that can be considered life-threatening to ourselves -but not to others. It is up to each of us to decide what the risk is to our own lives and well-being.

And as I see it herein lies one of the problems. Not wearing a face mask or practicing safe social distancing is a threat to others, not just yourself.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:03 AM   #33
shew01

Default Model A Day at Gilmore Cancelled!!!

Quote:
I guess my view is different. Paul was clear there were people attending however they were distancing themselves. Likely the ones who felt they needed to wear a mask did so. The ones that felt attending this show was too risky for their health likely did not attend.

Maybe we all need to step back and reconsider our judging of others as to what is right or wrong. There are many things each of us do each day that can be considered life-threatening to ourselves -but not to others. It is up to each of us to decide what the risk is to our own lives and well-being. We really cannot continue to live our life in fear of the 'what ifs'. If so, driving, -or even just owning our Model-As can easily create a long list of 'what ifs'.

Well said. There is way too much fear mongering about the whole Coronavirus issue, and the issue itself has become politically charged.

Coronavirus is NOT the automatic death sentence that many would have you to believe, although it is a serious disease. If you are in a high risk group, it’s probably in your best interest to stay home. If you attend, keep your distance, wear a mask if deemed necessary, WASH YOUR HANDS, KEEP THEM OUT OF YOUR MOUTH. Folks have to make their OWN choices, and we need to be tolerant of those choices.

I’m getting tired of the constant badgering about the risk. The risk is absolutely present, but proper behavior lessens the risk for those who take the appropriate precautions. There are many other things that take our lives other than Coronavirus.

Last edited by shew01; 07-20-2020 at 11:09 AM.
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #34
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
And as I see it herein lies one of the problems. Not wearing a face mask or practicing safe social distancing is a threat to others, not just yourself.

If YOUR mask is working, that should protect you. If MY mask is working, that should protect me. I cannot control other people’s behavior. It’s just plain annoying to others if I try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2020, 11:05 AM   #35
shew01

Duplicate post
Old 07-20-2020, 11:23 AM   #36
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
If YOUR mask is working, that should protect you. If MY mask is working, that should protect me. I cannot control other people’s behavior. It’s just plain annoying to others if I try.

As usual, you missed the point.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:46 AM   #37
McMimmcs

To suggest that all 300 plus participants and their guests wore masks and acted responsibly is naive to say the least! If any person in attendance catches the virus I believe the entire organizing body should be held legally and financially responsible in a court of law and required to pay any judgment the court renders.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #38
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
As usual, you missed the point.

We’re just going to have to agree that we disagree. There is no point in creating a war over this.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:09 PM   #39
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
To suggest that all 300 plus participants and their guests wore masks and acted responsibly is naive to say the least! If any person in attendance catches the virus I believe the entire organizing body should be held legally and financially responsible in a court of law and required to pay any judgment the court renders.

We’re just going to have to agree that we disagree. There is no point in creating a war over this.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:42 PM   #40
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post

I agree!