Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2020, 09:44 AM   #21
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Would there be any interest in a programmable electronic points replacer?

A stock model a has a different kind of reliability than a modern car--- a stock A is easy to fix IF there is a problem it can easily be repaired by the side of the road---- modern cars go a long way, but when they break you need to tow to garage to fix, ---- trying to convert to "modern" and you end up with old car you have to tow home
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:32 PM   #22
daren007

Default Re: Would there be any interest in a programmable electronic points replacer?

I agree.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-13-2020, 06:41 PM   #23
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
A stock model a has a different kind of reliability than a modern car--- a stock A is easy to fix IF there is a problem it can easily be repaired by the side of the road---- modern cars go a long way, but when they break you need to tow to garage to fix, ---- trying to convert to "modern" and you end up with old car you have to tow home

Looks like i can fit a 2 pole toggle switch to the module so you can switch it back to points operation without even having to undo the terminals on the coil in order to switch back to regular points ignition.

Tow home because flicking a switch is just so much work. Hah.

(side note. my points pivot pin broke off the points plate & left my car on the road side for over a week before i could fix it, so points are not perfect either.)

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #24
Corley

Or, just install a Honda dizzy with electronic module, centrifugal advance, and vacuum advance, then you will never need to touch that spark lever again and your timing will always be correct for whatever the running conditions are. Works for me!
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:20 AM   #25
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
(side note. my points pivot pin broke off the points plate & left my car on the road side for over a week before i could fix it, so points are not perfect either.)
No, but with a stock setup you can just disconnect the timing rod, R&R the upper plate, check timing and your on your way. No need to even remove the distributor.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote