Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
Tom in SW VA

Default Radials on a 37. Yes or No??

I am considering putting radials on my stock 37 Ford. What is your
opinion? Any problems?

Thanking you in advance.

Tom
Tom in SW VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #2
Phil Gillespie

Default Re: Radials on a 37. Yes or No??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in SW VA View Post
I am considering putting radials on my stock 37 Ford. What is your
opinion? Any problems?

Thanking you in advance.

Tom

In my experience the radials are a good option. A better driving experience in my opinion and thats what its all about. Have changed all to radials.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
Ford Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gillespie View Post
In my experience the radials are a good option. A better driving experience in my opinion and thats what its all about. Have changed all to radials.
Phil NZ
X2 what Phil said !
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
drolston

Better ride.
Better handling.
Cheaper.
Serviceable/replaceable anywhere.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #5
A bones

Do it. Be sure though, to never run both. A mix of radial steer followed by bias on the rear will lead to trouble.

Radial tires are wonderful compared to bias. They last longer. The have superior grip on wet surfaces.

I would never consider driving on bias ply tires again. They may look good for show, leave them in the museum.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:00 PM   #6
petehoovie

Replaced the bias ply on my '37 with radials and the difference was impressive. Be sure to use tubes though....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:15 PM   #7
twostickmutt

I'm going the same route tom with the 39 . i'm sick of all the thumping the next day after driving it for a couple hundred miles and then parking it to let the square spots grow over night. what size were you thinking ?
twostickmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #8
tubman

I agree; if you drive your car on a semi-regular basis, get radials; you'll be glad you did. BTW, I put them on the stock wheels on my '51, and have experienced no leaks. Ford built quality parts back then.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:58 AM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

I started using radials on my early Fords over 15 years ago. They improved ride and handling so much that I would never consider going back to bias ply tires.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #10
TomT/Williamsburg

Have them on my avatar, my nearly completed 5-window and the 40 pickup I am building for the wife. I do have some bias plies I could mount for local shows (have ww’s for the wife’s pickup), long distance and drive frequency really denote bias or radial. In 1990 I drove my 40 coupe across country on bias ply tires and a nearly stock suspension for the 40 Ford Is 50 tour organized by the late Art Barnum. They were polyglass ww’s - never again!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #11
deuce_roadster

Bias tires for judging only. My 40 wagon does not need to be point judged anymore (only a walk around) so I ditched the bias tires and now enjoy driving the car. I think the EFV8 club should allow radial tires in the same way they do not deduct for seat belts or turn signals, it is a safety issue.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:28 AM   #12
Automotive Stud

I have diamondback radials on my '47 and it does drive nicer than my '40 with bias plys, but they don't look as good as the bias plys. The diamondbacks don't turn yellow either though.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:58 PM   #13
Talkwrench

Pfft! whats wrong with you guys I drive on cross plys everyday! I guess it depends on your roads , ours aren't too bad here I dont have issues. Don't think I'd like to drive on them on some of your U.S. freeways with those expansion strips .. but harsh.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:12 PM   #14
Tinker

I like them too. 6 ply mil tires on my 38 truck, no drift. NDT tires though and a completely redone front suspension.

36 drifts a "little" or finds a groove when highway driving, but It doesn't concern me and I'm critical on safety. I have not done the kingpins and rod ends on the 36. Still nothing that I get weirded out about. It's a old car experience and I'm not texting when I drive.

I know newer radials made by some look just like old bias plys. Which is great. My only concern would be the wheels and seals (rivets). Noticed someone said to run tubes with radials???

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:31 AM   #15
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Just asking, why run tubes in a tubless tire? But if you do make sure they are Radial tubes
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:42 AM   #16
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin/TN View Post
Just asking, why run tubes in a tubless tire? But if you do make sure they are Radial tubes

The wheels/rims on our old fords were not made to accommodate tubeless tires - especially radial tubeless tires. Also, peace of mind with the tubes inside....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:35 AM   #17
vilanar

Sorry, I hate the look of radials in classic cars , but I have ones in my ´50 Conv. They are American Classic Bias Look Radials, drives excellent , looks great but expensive and are not available 16 inch. I have had them 3 years now and around 10000 miles on them. Next tires will be the same.
My ´50 was equipped with radials on stock steel wheels when I bought it and left front tire popped off from the wheel lip when I was driving in the middle of LA traffic.
At the tire shop later that day I changed all the wheels for tubeless type where is that bead
which keeps tire against wheel lip. So I strongly recommend using tubes with original wheels.
vilanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #18
tubman

I put bias ply Firestone re-pops on my '51 when I restored it in '87. I ran them until about 6 years ago when they started to show considerable wear. I replaced them with Coker Classic radials, and it became a completely different automobile. It drove much better and the best part is that it didn't "hunt" on older highways. I'll never go back to bias plies because I like to drive my cars.

I mounted the fronts on the stock wheels tubeless and never gave it another thought (the rears are later Ford that are a bit wider). It's about the only vehicle I own that when I remove it from winter storage, all of the tires are still up. Just lucky, I guess.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:14 AM   #19
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanar View Post
My ´50 was equipped with radials on stock steel wheels when I bought it and left front tire popped off from the wheel lip when I was driving in the middle of LA traffic.
At the tire shop later that day I changed all the wheels for tubeless type where is that bead
which keeps tire against wheel lip. So I strongly recommend using tubes with original wheels.

The safety bead was introduced in 1940, long before tubeless or radial tires, and will help keep the tire on the wheel, by design. Tubes, however, hold air, nothing more, and will not help the tire stay on the wheel. The only reasons to use tubes are tube-type tires, or wheels that are leak prone, like some wires.
Upgrading to newer wheels is a good idea, but tubeless radials can run very well and safe on older wheels that are in good shape.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:25 AM   #20
blucar

Tubes in tubeless tires can be troublesome, friction between the tube and tire casing.
I have found throughout the years that many people run their tires under-inflated which can cause side wall flex with radials and excessive wear on the outer edges of the front tires. Contrary to common beliefs radials are high pressure tires, 28-30 lbs is to low, 32-34 lbs on the average car is just right..
In 1956 I put tubeless tires on my '53 Olds 88, my insurance man was going to cancel my insurance because he felt the tires would roll of of the rims, causing a sudden loss of air.
Got a letter from Kelley-Springfield Tire Co. that disproved his theory.