Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
John cruzin 40

Default Water pump

Hi i would like some info on 40 flathead's water pump Such as were to get new ones? Also are there ones with a inproved impella for better coolling or is it bs? Thanks John

Last edited by John cruzin 40; 09-11-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: left out words
John cruzin 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
40fordpu

Default Re: Water pump

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...mps1937-46.jpg

try macs auto parts for pumps or bob drake. Joblot is a great place too...I dont know a lot about the improved impellers but someone will.
40fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
John cruzin 40

thanks glad to hear about job lot not far from me . i deal with them a lot thanks for the quick responce and info John
John cruzin 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
Terry,OH

the impellers are helix creating more area without increasing the outter diameter. They move more water and should improve cooling. If you have a overheating problem due to another cause, this may cover up the problem or lessen it but may not correct it. Suggest you get rid of the problem first and then change the pumps. These new pumps have improved seals. some still use the original style bushing for the shaft and some are all new castings with ball bearing shafts. It's your choice.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
billwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by John cruzin 40 View Post
Hi i would like some info on 40 flathead's water pump Such as were to get new ones? Also are there ones with a inproved impella for better coolling or is it bs? Thanks John
From what i have read all about money they can be bought though any vender at vering prices goodluk.
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
41ford1

John,
You have a '40. Does it have the original crankshaft mounted fan? Is there a fan shroud? I have installed improved impeller design rebuilt pumps on my pickup. With them I did see a 15° to 20° reduction in engine temp. The temp still rises toward hot when stopped or moving under 15 MPH, typical traffic situation. So far the temp rise is not as bad with the stock pumps. You have plenty of options for replacing water pumps. PM me if you want more info on my application.
Chuck L.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
Bassman/NZ

Do a search, this has been beaten to death in the last couple of weeks. Much info available. Personally, I've just installed a pair of Drake pumps, and water blasted the water passages, but I have yet to run it. The Drake pumps are the cheapest out there, and seem like excellent quality.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
41ford1

Bassman,
Beaten to death more than once, hasn't it? Two factors of engine cooling: Water flow through the system and air flow through the radiator. So with a '40 what is the real problem? Lack of air flow from the crank mounted fan when going slow or stopped or water flow though the block. You got to love trying to figure out 70 year technology. It's fun isn't it?
BTW Was a shroud factory installed on '39-'40 cars or '39-'41 pickups? I haven't seen one yet.
Chuck L.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
40fordpu

There is no way Drake is the cheapest out there. I havent seen them beat one price from my group of other suppliers. Shop around. Ask questions. Quality wise is up for negotiation. You can also get water pumps rebuild. Buy a crap pair out there and have them rebuilt. If you want I can give you the name of a great rebuilder. Just private message me.
40fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:07 AM   #10
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40fordpu View Post
There is no way Drake is the cheapest out there. I havent seen them beat one price from my group of other suppliers. Shop around. Ask questions. Quality wise is up for negotiation. You can also get water pumps rebuild. Buy a crap pair out there and have them rebuilt. If you want I can give you the name of a great rebuilder. Just private message me.
Mebbe I'm wrong. My Drake pumps were $130 pair. Speedway are $180pr and dont have improved impellers. Most others I've seen around $180pr.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:16 AM   #11
Chuck Kuntz

The Pumps my friend and I purchased from Drake are junk. The castings are not correct and when he called them about the following problems they refused to take them back as it was over 30 days from date of purchase (five pairs of pumps):
1. pump casting mounting holes do not align with the originals in the block
2. pump casting requires grinding due to interference with camshaft cover
3. water necks on pumps are tapered and hoses blew off. originals were constant diameter with no taper. As you tighten the hose clamps the hose will push off.

This is very poor service from Bob Drake. I thought he was making an effort to improve his image.
Chuck Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
Bassman,
Beaten to death more than once, hasn't it? Two factors of engine cooling: Water flow through the system and air flow through the radiator. So with a '40 what is the real problem? Lack of air flow from the crank mounted fan when going slow or stopped or water flow though the block. You got to love trying to figure out 70 year technology. It's fun isn't it?
BTW Was a shroud factory installed on '39-'40 cars or '39-'41 pickups? I haven't seen one yet.
Chuck L.
A factory fan shroud was not installed on OEM 39-40 Ford cars. All they had was the sheet metal panels on the interior right and left sides of the grille to funnel the air into the engine compartment. Walker radiator does make a shroud for their 40 radiators- as in the photos..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of DSC02100 (Small).JPG (58.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2609 (Small).jpg (42.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2610 (Small).jpg (53.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07312 (Small).jpg (39.3 KB, 32 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #13
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Kuntz View Post
The Pumps my friend and I purchased from Drake are junk. The castings are not correct and when he called them about the following problems they refused to take them back as it was over 30 days from date of purchase (five pairs of pumps):
1. pump casting mounting holes do not align with the originals in the block
2. pump casting requires grinding due to interference with camshaft cover
3. water necks on pumps are tapered and hoses blew off. originals were constant diameter with no taper. As you tighten the hose clamps the hose will push off.

This is very poor service from Bob Drake. I thought he was making an effort to improve his image.
Wow! I'm surprised..... I just fitted mine and they are perfect. None of those problems you had.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #14
flatjack9

I also put a shroud on my 39 DeLuxe and it really works great.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #15
allford

I bought two rebuild kits from mac and tore my pumps apart and rebuilt them myself. Wasn't hard at all to do, you get a new shaft,impellor,spring seal, impellor, pin (to hold pulley on shaft) and thrust washer. Each kit was about $20.00 each. The only thing is the new shaft is a little smaller in dia. and the pulley will not stay on the shaft,and must pin the pulley to the shaft. This requres drilling a hole into the pullley outer hub and drive in the pin that is in the kit.
allford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #16
41ford1

19fordy,
You have a good looking setup. What are you running? 8BA with early heads? Mine is a 59A-B with the 40 crankshaft mounted fan. That configuration positions the fan lower on the radiator. It looks like I may be able to use the Walker shroud inverted on my setup. Thanks for posting your pictures.
Chuck L.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:02 AM   #17
Chuck Kuntz

I suspect that they knew they had these problems with the first run and modified the molds to correct them. I can correct the hole and oversize casting problems, but the tapered waternecks will require machine shop service that will cost more than the pumps are worth.
Chuck Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:11 AM   #18
37fatfender

19fordy,
I too, would like to know more about your engine setup. Are those the "truck pumps" that are used to put an 8ba in a 40? and the lower radiator hoses what are tjey? where / what is the fan mount you are using? I am going through this engine swap soon so I am planning in advance. thx, Ed
37fatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #19
G.M.

41 I have never seen a shroud from Ford for a 39 or 40 passenger car. The P/U had them as an option and larger trucks had them. For a shroud to work at it's best it must be a little larger in diameter than the fan, cone shaped to fit the entire radiator down to the fan diameter and the fan blade slightly entered in to the shroud. More coolant in the radiator, more water movement through the radiator and more air across the fins and tubes is the answer to perfect cooling at all speeds. The picture below is my 39 P/U with a modified shroud from a larger truck installed upside down with small metal strips on each side to attach to the radiator side supports and cut out at the bottom and the metal edge rolled back for the distributor. This engine has rebuilt modified pumps that pump 110 gallons each in 5 minutes compared to stock and other pumps that pump 65 to 75 gallons. The 4 lb pressure cap allows the coolant to be filled up into the neck without any lose giving more coolant flowing. Also has a modified 6 bladed industrial fan. This engine has been demonstrated at a National Ford V/8 meet on a day that was over 95 degrees run at a fast idle for over 2 hours and never got to 180 with a laser thermometer and the dash gauge. If the engine RPMs were slightly increased the temperature came down a few degrees. All of the above improvements give maximum results but anyone of these improvements result in lower running temperatures. The only thing that is going to greatly improve idle temperatures is more air. Don't forget these engines were run all day on air compressors and other equipment but they had better pump impellers on the early engines, larger radiators, a shroud and larger fans with more blades. G.M. Picture would not upload will try to add it latter.