Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2020, 01:14 PM   #21
Mister Moose

Default Re: Does Your A Start Right UP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
I Only give it an errrr-errr with the choke fully out then keep it half choked, if cold, till it gets going well.
Similar, except my car is errr---r---errRr---r---errr.

I don't get the rush on the spark advance at all. Won't everyone's car run just fine fully retarded?
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:06 PM   #22
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post
Here's my method...
From Cold.
No hurry, we want the petrol vapours to get into the combustion chambers so take your time.
1. Turn on petrol tap.
2. Open choke 1½-2 full turns.
3. Ensure battery master switch is ON
4. Ensure advance/retard lever is up ( ie retarded)
5. Switch on ignition.
6. Put handthrottle lever ¼ down
7. Pull choke rod up fully for max choke.
8. Press starter and turn engine over 3 times so cylinders receives a charge.
9. Release/push in choke rod as soon as it fires, leave carb choked with the 1½ turns, push handthrottle up to idle.
10. Adjust choke to running position – ½ to 1 turn, and reduce this as engine warms
I pretty much follow John's start up sequence. But since I do not drive my car every day and I'm anal, I will spin the engine over "a bunch" of times to pump oil up to the valve camber and splash some oil around before turning on the ignition switch. Then it lights right off.

I have 12v and it spins pretty fast, even tho the starter is converted to 12v. Also I have a Phillips Advancer (Nu-Rex) so I don't have to fiddle with the timing.

Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #23
Ed in Maine

I liked this post because it describes my Victoria. It starts quickly, runs then stalls. But it starts again promptly. Its like the car was taking a nap and suddenly it was awakened and now it is stumbling around trying to figure out what is happening! This is what I think is happening. On those first few engine turns, the car is running lean and steps have to be taken to get to a normal fuel/air ratio.

1. Open the gas shutoff valve. Take your time, pause a bit while the carb bowl is filling and gas is flowing into the Secondary Well to feed the Idle Jet and the Cap Jet.
2. Open the GAV an additional 1/2 turn so that some additional gas can get to the Cap Jet.
3. Pull down the Throttle Lever very slightly for a "not to fast" idle. This is an important step because the Throttle Plate is very close to full closed and very little gas and air is going past it into the engine. Even with a full choke, gas from the Main Jet and Cap Jet will be minimal. Remember you have your foot on the Starter and cannot step on the Gas Pedal.
4. Pull the choke for 1-2 engine turns and release it. The engine will start and with any luck it will stay running. After the car is warmed up, turn the GAV back a half turn.

That's my take on it! Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:16 PM   #24
Ed in Maine

I liked this post because it describes my Victoria. It starts quickly, runs then stalls. But it starts again promptly. Its like the car was taking a nap and suddenly it was awakened and now it is stumbling around trying to figure out what is happening! This is what I think is happening. On those first few engine turns, the car is running lean and steps have to be taken to get to a normal fuel/air ratio.

1. Open the gas shutoff valve. Take your time, pause a bit while the carb bowl is filling and gas is flowing into the Secondary Well to feed the Idle Jet and the Cap Jet.
2. Open the GAV an additional 1/2 turn so that some additional gas can get to the Cap Jet.
3. Pull down the Throttle Lever very slightly for a "not to fast" idle. This is an important step because the Throttle Plate is very close to full closed and very little gas and air is going past it into the engine. Even with a full choke, gas from the Main Jet and Cap Jet will be minimal. Remember you have your foot on the Starter and cannot step on the Gas Pedal.
4. Pull the choke for 1-2 engine turns and release it. The engine will start and with any luck it will stay running. After the car is warmed up, turn the GAV back a half turn.

That's my take on it! Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:45 PM   #25
TJMack

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
I Only give it an errrr-errr with the choke fully out then keep it half choked, if cold, till it gets going well.
That's exactly what I do as well. Works nearly every time. Once it's warm, no choke. It will flood easily.
TJMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:15 PM   #26
jm29henry

Fuel drain out of the carb? Fuel shutoff OK? Carb clean? rings free? Put a little Seafoam in the engine to soak the rings lose. Carb bolts tight to the intake manifold? These engines like to start. Happy holidays.

Rings free? Put a little seafoam ?in the gas tank or crank case ? I am interested soak rings lose ,I would like to know how thank you for your help Joe!
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:25 PM   #27
John Dayhuff

Just don't be like me and forget to turn the gas on when starting. It took me two days to figure out why it wouldn't start. Ran my battery down too......ugh. But it's fine now, except for a radiator leak...UGH!!
Old 12-12-2020, 08:23 PM   #28
Bill G

Today is in the 40's here. I did a hand-crank from a cold start and the car has not been run for a week. I did two pulls of the crank with the ignition switch off and fully choked. Released choke and turned on ignition. It started on the first pull. And kept running.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:26 PM   #29
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dayhuff View Post
Just don't be like me and forget to turn the gas on when starting. It took me two days to figure out why it wouldn't start. Ran my battery down too......ugh.
Most of us have forgotten to turn the gas valve on, So, Been there, done that. Pretty annoying to start it up for a parade and have lots of folks behind and then it dies....
Old 12-12-2020, 08:31 PM   #30
Ranchero50

My carb had been getting flaky lately so I tossed it in a gallon of carb cleaner overnight after taking it apart. Lots of white crystals (I assume from ethanol during its previous life)... Plopped it back together after a hot wash in Dawn infused water and it fired right off and tuned up well. Lot smoother idle and little gurgling at idle.

I have a big B cab in the bucket now. Hoping for similar results with it. Not bad for $30 in juice and eventually some gaskets.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:56 PM   #31
Aretino

Ethanol sucks!
Aretino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #32
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aretino View Post
Ethanol sucks!
That's right, that's why it attracts moisture.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:19 PM   #33
NZ28ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Today is in the 40's here. I did a hand-crank from a cold start and the car has not been run for a week. I did two pulls of the crank with the ignition switch off and fully choked. Released choke and turned on ignition. It started on the first pull. And kept running.
Hi Bill, I am keen to learn how to crank start my A from cold.. How do you keep the choke on while cranking from the front??

Thanks Steve
NZ28ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:13 PM   #34
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ28ModelA View Post
Hi Bill, I am keen to learn how to crank start my A from cold.. How do you keep the choke on while cranking from the front??

Thanks Steve
You have to run a wire or string from the choke lever on the carb to the front. That’s what the little hole is for on the bottom of the lever.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:18 PM   #35
NZ28ModelA

Oh, ok.. Thank you.. I will have a go at it later on. I have been able to crank it when it is warm, very easily. But hadn't quite got the knack of the cold start..
NZ28ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:28 PM   #36
Kurt in NJ

One day when the battery was down and I needed to crank start I needed a wire to pull the choke, what I usually do when I am broke down is walk 100 feet and cross over the road and walk back ---found this wire, I open the carb side hood and hook the wire in the hole in the choke lever --it comes out to just in front of the rad shell
So my hand crank procedure is--gas on, spark retarded,proper fast idle throttle setting (i pull lever till see slight movement of gas pedal),GAV about 1.5 open, ignition off I pull through 4 compressions with choke pulled,--ignition on, usually one pull of the crank, I have even done it with temperatures in the 30s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0021.JPG (123.4 KB, 12 views)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:57 PM   #37
Bill G

Here's my cold start hand crank routine:

https://youtu.be/mCXH_iGdHjA
Old 12-14-2020, 11:19 PM   #38
700rpm

I would also caution you not to wrap your thumb around the crank when you pull it up. Pull with an open palm. You can break your thumb otherwise if there is a backfire.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:46 AM   #39
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I would also caution you not to wrap your thumb around the crank when you pull it up. Pull with an open palm. You can break your thumb otherwise if there is a backfire.

Yep !
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:11 PM   #40
Jordan

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Mine has done this as you describe depending on climate and how long it's been since it was last started. If it sits a week, yeah it'll require 2 starts. If it's been 7 hours, it'll start the first time.

If it's not holding you back, I really wouldn't worry about it. Some engines are just more cold natured than others.

I go start a widow's Model A's about twice a year. Her coupe will start every time and stay running on the first start- without a choke. I'm not kidding, you don't have to choke it.

Her sedan however will fumble and have to be cranked 2 or 3 times before it stays running. I do have to choke this one.