Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
1932 V8

Default Starting on the Fordor

Hello everyone , I am staring the New Year off right and getting right to my 32 Fordor we bought at the beginning of last year . My plan is to make it a driver and along the way bring it back to it's original form in detail . The car supposedly has 42K miles on it . The speedo works and the car is pretty nice in the corners so ??? It looks like the engine was changed in early 60's according to the door oil change tags . The trans and rear end are original .The id number on the trans matches the pink. It was painted once over the original black. It is a cheap paint job but luckily they didn't get to the door jams/sills etc .The interior is original except for an added gauge for oil pressure that they unfortunately put in the dash on the drivers side .I am missing a passenger front door panel and kick panel which I am on the hunt for .Anyone ??
I am pulling the tank out today and will try and save it.It's fairly ugly inside but I really hope it can be saved. I have driven the car down the road with a gas can hung in the engine compartment . She drives ok considering .I need to address the steering box ,it's a little tight. I will also check the brakes etc .
So my questions for the day . This is a Murry body . I have the 1932 Book and all I have found in it is most of the Fordor bodies were not Murry or Briggs . So is the Murry body different in any way ? Better/worse/rare/who cares ???? There is also some writing on the passenger kick panel inside on the body.Just curious if anyone has any idea what it means ? It looks like a factory deal to me .
That's it for now . I am getting to it and getting the tank out .
Thank you and Happy New Year !

Last edited by 1932 V8; 01-04-2012 at 10:18 PM.
1932 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Mart

Default Re: Starting on the Fordor

Car looks to be in excellent condition - congrats.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
felix37

Beautiful car!! what a fine survivor!
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
1932 V8

And the tank is out . I have some detailed pics of parts of the car. I am pretty sure the tank has never been out and I took pics of shims and such. Also a few interior pics. I love the original craftsmanship . Enjoy .
Old 01-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #5
1932 V8

Old 01-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
31chevy

Really nice, where did you find that? I used to live in Petaluma then in Valley Ford so I could probably relate to where you found it. When it is done take a nice cruise up Hwy 1 to Anchor Bay I built a house up there, beautiful scenery. The owner of the Valley Ford Market had a 32 coupe hot rod, I don't know if he still has it.
Gary.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
Bruce in southern OH

GREAT CAR, thanks for photos, Bruce
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
DavidG

This is an absolute treasure! Good for you!
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
Henry/Kokomo

Can't help you on the Murray-or-Briggs question. I think one had slightly arched window tops, but certainly am no expert. You probably should get a 1932 restoration book from the Early Ford V8 Club. As far as the steering box is concerned, check the lube first. It may just be dry or hard from sitting unused for years. Congratulations on getting a great car.
Henry/Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
JeffG

Man oh man, that is sweet! What a fine interior.
JeffG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

That is one sweet looking '32 Ford. You were very lucky to have found a car that nice. Speaking of the Early Ford V8 Club, just wondering if you are a member? If not already, you should consider joining. Your '32 would show well in their Rouge Class division. The other V8ers would gather around that car like bees on honey and I would be right there with them

Can you post some pictures of the engine compartment? Hopefully, if the engine was actually changed, they transferred all the unique '32 components from the old engine to a new short block. Things like tall water pumps, distributor and tall coil, intake manifold, heads, aluminum oil pan, exhaust manifold, etc.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-02-2012 at 11:55 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
jim1932

Sorry were you saying the engine was changed? or the oil was changed? I hope you have cleaned the oil pan and pump out. mine was like molasses.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #13
34fivewindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31chevy View Post
Really nice, where did you find that? I used to live in Petaluma then in Valley Ford so I could probably relate to where you found it. When it is done take a nice cruise up Hwy 1 to Anchor Bay I built a house up there, beautiful scenery. The owner of the Valley Ford Market had a 32 coupe hot rod, I don't know if he still has it.
Gary.
Gary, I know the owner of the 32 5window coupe your talking about, and he still has the car. This coupe was a well known street racer in the 60's and early 70's, and as far as i know it never lost a race.....Ed
34fivewindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:22 AM   #14
DavidG

There's no distinction in any of the components listed in Ford's October 15, 1932 "Body Parts Price List" between those for Ford-built Fordor bodies and those for Murray-built Fordor bodies. It is highly likely that Murray furnished the tooling for the Ford-built Fordor bodies.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:41 AM   #15
1932 V8

Thank you everyone for the nice comments . It is a great car and I am lucky to have it . She will be well taken care of and as I can afford it , I will get the car back to it's original specs.

Gary , my wife and I love that drive . Didn't know that about the owner of the Valley Ford Market . That is pretty neat . The Fordor came from a friend of mine . He bought it from a guy named David in Vegas . David in Vegas was helping a friend of his that unfortunately passed away . His friends son ended up with the 32 and didn't want it so they asked David to help him sell it . My friend was nice enough to sell it to me after I took a look at it and told him I wanted it !

Henry , I do have the EFV8 club 32 book and I love it . I will be checking everything out on the car ,front to back .Thank you .

JM 35 Sedan , I am a member of the EFV8 Club . I actually grew up in the club . My Dad was a long time member . I have a lot of great memories from club events . I am going to try and drive the Fordor to the Redmond Oregon National meet in September .It's my goal anyway . Unfortunately when the engine was changed they changed out most of the distinct 32 parts . I am on the hunt for them . The engine that is in there will have to stay for a while until I can afford to put together an original 32 engine .It will be a fun project.
Thanks

Jim 1932 , I love your car . Good for you for bringing her back to life correctly . I will be going front to back on the Fordor for all the mechanical stuff . Hopefully she will be where yours is soon .
Thanks

David G , Thank you for the help so far and in the future. Your knowledge is irreplaceable and greatly appreciated. Your love of old Fords ,especially 1932's , reminds me a lot of my Father .He had the same love for Old Fords and particularly 32's .
Thank you
Old 01-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #16
1932 V8

a few more pics for the fun of it .

Old 01-04-2012, 12:54 AM   #17
1932 V8

The interior is nice considering it's age. It does look better in pics than it really is but it is overall pretty nice . I like all the details that I believe are original .

Last edited by 1932 V8; 01-04-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #18
Pat/Ohio

1932 V8, Thanks for sharing the pictures! You have a really nice car. Nothing like nice original vehicles...especially 1932 Fords! Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #19
barnfind08

I will be doing my 32 std 4 door next year. I started on it in 1970, but other projects have gotten in the way. I have all the correct parts for the car but it is all apart. Your pictures and hopefully some future pictures are surely very helpfull for all. Do you not agree DavidG.
barnfind08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #20
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Wow! That is a car to document, amazingly complete!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote