Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2020, 02:00 AM   #1
Swarm

Default Big Boys Heads

How many of these heads were produced and did they come with studs? I'm interested in buying some and slapping them on the 8ba I have but would like to know more about them. I read a guy that was producing them passed away and his shop was in bakersfield California but other than that I have no idea about these heads. Whats the compression on these heads?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg -5.jpg (92.9 KB, 963 views)
File Type: jpg Denton-flatheads.jpg (147.0 KB, 916 views)
Swarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:14 AM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Big Boys Heads

A little more info here.

https://www.stromberg-bulletin.com/rare-flathead/
Old 11-21-2020, 02:54 AM   #3
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarm View Post
How many of these heads were produced and did they come with studs? I'm interested in buying some and slapping them on the 8ba I have but would like to know more about them. I read a guy that was producing them passed away and his shop was in bakersfield California but other than that I have no idea about these heads. Whats the compression on these heads?

SEE > https://www.stromberg-bulletin.com/rare-flathead/

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 11-21-2020 at 03:19 AM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:45 AM   #4
Swarm

Yeah good article thanks dudes. But does anyone know the compression of these heads and do they have ports for water temp?
Old 11-21-2020, 05:54 AM   #5
48-710

Swarm, if one of the two larger holes just below the center water outlet go through too water should do the job for a temp sender .
48-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:17 AM   #6
Brian

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Be aware, that if you fit these heads with studs in a fendered car, you'll not be able to remove them. I had some similar 'fat' heads and after buying 48 Model A studs realized what I've said above. Then bought 48 'Caterpillar' bolts [these have the 11/16 AF heads].
Old 11-21-2020, 07:51 AM   #7
Swarm

I just hope to find some lol
Old 11-21-2020, 02:57 PM   #8
Tim Ayers

Look to Tony Baron. He makes similar heads. These seem a little ridiculous how thick they are. Clean out the block right and that extra coolant isn't needed.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:33 PM   #9
Flathead

These look a little like the late Tom Hutchinson's heads. His said "Ford Speed Parts" on them, not many were made but the tooling must have gone somewhere.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:31 PM   #10
Alaska Jim

I personally do not know much about these heads, but my brother has a set, still new unused. he may have some info on them. he may see this thread and answer some questions. he goes by Flatrod here on the Barn, and Flatrod 17 on the Hamb
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:18 PM   #11
Swarm

Look to Tony Baron. He makes similar heads. These seem a little ridiculous how thick they are. Clean out the block right and that extra coolant isn't needed
I looked him up online and couldn't find anything, does he have a website?

These look a little like the late Tom Hutchinson's heads. His said "Ford Speed Parts" on them, not many were made but the tooling must have gone somewhere
Yeah maybe I should have some tooling made up and cast my own heads, I have an idea but I need to figure out how to start the process

I personally do not know much about these heads, but my brother has a set, still new unused. he may have some info on them. he may see this thread and answer some questions. he goes by Flatrod here on the Barn, and Flatrod 17 on the Hamb
Hopefully he sees this, I might just send him a message
Old 11-22-2020, 09:58 AM   #12
flatrod

Yes I have a set of unused Big Boys, and my brother, Alaska Jim has Tony Baron heads. I bought mine from Paul years ago, I do remember talking to him when I got them, but don't remember much else.
I can compare the two if you like, I do know the Baron's are around 92cc, I don't think the Big Boys are that big chamber wise.

Thinking about it I think I do have some paper work somewhere, I'll look for it and report back.

Last edited by flatrod; 11-22-2020 at 10:03 AM.
flatrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:36 AM   #13
flatrod

posting pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big boy.jpg (33.0 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg big boy2.jpg (36.7 KB, 121 views)
Old 11-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #14
Bored&Stroked

Personally, I do not like the shape of these and see no need for the "extra" amount of water. They are just big and bulky to me. I have a set of Tony Baron's heads - my version is designed for a big pop-up piston. They are quite large as well, but a lot nicer looking head than the 'Big Boys' (obviously, just my opinion!).

While I tend to run Edelbrock heads on most of my recent builds, I still love the design/shape of the 39-48 Navarro heads - I like the way they taper down at the bottoms - similar to original 39-48 Ford heads.

All my Navarro heads were manufactured by "Barney" - I've heard a few comments about some of the ones from H&H having manufacturing inconsistencies - but I have no first hand knowledge of this. If I was going to be buying a new set, I'd check them out for any chamber size/machining issues - and if they were not to Barney's quality, I'd not be running them. Buy Hey - I'm a perfectionist!

PS: Tom Hutchinson was a good ole' flathead friend to me when I was growing up around flatheads - spent quite a bit of time with him and my first SCoT blower setup came from him - NOS. I paid $400 for it . . . was a lot of money for an 18 year old kid! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:51 AM   #15
Swarm

Awesome thanks you Flatrod
Old 11-22-2020, 10:53 AM   #16
Swarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Personally, I do not like the shape of these and see no need for the "extra" amount of water. They are just big and bulky to me. I have a set of Tony Baron's heads - my version is designed for a big pop-up piston. They are quite large as well, but a lot nicer looking head than the 'Big Boys' (obviously, just my opinion!).

While I tend to run Edelbrock heads on most of my recent builds, I still love the design/shape of the 39-48 Navarro heads - I like the way they taper down at the bottoms - similar to original 39-48 Ford heads.

All my Navarro heads were manufactured by "Barney" - I've heard a few comments about some of the ones from H&H having manufacturing inconsistencies - but I have no first hand knowledge of this. If I was going to be buying a new set, I'd check them out for any chamber size/machining issues - and if they were not to Barney's quality, I'd not be running them. Buy Hey - I'm a perfectionist!

PS: Tom Hutchinson was a good ole' flathead friend to me when I was growing up around flatheads - spent quite a bit of time with him and my first SCoT blower setup came from him - NOS. I paid $400 for it . . . was a lot of money for an 18 year old kid! LOL
I wish I could find a set of those heads for sale as well. Maybe I should just make my own heads
Old 11-22-2020, 11:09 AM   #17
flatrod

B&S, there is no comparison between the Big Boys and Baron heads!! We have both, Other then thickness two different worlds! As you know.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:11 AM   #18
Bored&Stroked

It is possible to make your own heads (out of billet aluminum) - if you can produce 3D CAD models, can generate the toolpaths and have full CNC milling machine equipment.

You have to make them as a "clamshell" design (two halves) - with water jackets milled out of the interiors, then use an o-ring material to seal all the various stud and plug hole locations between the two "sides" as well as around the exterior. We designed all our own heads for the FlatCad engine (blown flathead Cadillac) - is a lot of time and money (and we had our own CNC equipment).

If you have those capabilities, the $$$ it takes to buy 4 big chunks of 6061 aluminum and access to the equipment, let me know . . . might be able to collaborate on a "winter project"! LOL

Here are some pics of the FlatCad heads:

Heads-006.jpg

Heads-007.jpg

Heads-005.jpg
Old 11-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #19
Yoyodyne

B&S - Wow, beautiful parts.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:23 AM   #20
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyodyne View Post
B&S - Wow, beautiful parts.
Thank you . . . they took a "team effort" to produce! Four of us were involved in this aspect of the FlatCad project. The good news is that I have all the SolidWorks 3D designs.