Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2017, 07:05 PM   #21
Brian in Wheeling

Default Re: Adding grease fittings

Kevin in NJ....you are right on!
Brian
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:46 PM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Geez, based on the mindset above, I cannot believe no one has mentioned putting a grease fitting on the carburetor throttle shaft! Surely it sees WAY more moving action than what the clutch release shaft gets!!

What I also think that is ironic in this entire discussion is the notion that folks are going to actually grease the fittings. Based on my years in this hobby, -especially the last decade or so, most Model-As are lucky to get even a few fittings touched with a grease gun in a timely manner much less getting all of them ncluding any new ones added! Yes I know there are always a few exceptions of those whom are 'over-achievers' in maintenance and if these extra fittings makes them feel the fittings extend the longevity of their vehicle, then I say Go For It.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:14 PM   #23
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
...most Model-As are lucky to get even a few fittings touched with a grease gun in a timely manner ...
Guilty as charged!

I did, however, grease all the fittings I could find this past week. I even found a couple that I hadn't found before -- even though I have the chart hanging on the wall in the garage. I kinda loose track of when they get it, but try to remember to do it at least every spring before the heavy driving begins. I have even taken to putting these sort of things in a log I keep in the car all the time now. More for my own amazement than anything.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:23 PM   #24
RawhideKid
BANNED

Since it seems I am one of the few that do not have a lift available to do my own greasing, I asked one of my local mechanics what he charged for an "oil change", he said $29.95. I then asked him if that included greasing all the grease fittings, he said "cars don't have grease fittings" I chuckled and said, "mine does", he said "well, another $29.95 to grease the car."

Needless to say, I won't be taking my "A" there for a full service. I will probably wind up with the car on stands, greasing it from my back.

Last edited by RawhideKid; 04-29-2017 at 08:24 PM. Reason: spelling
RawhideKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:53 PM   #25
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Geez, based on the mindset above, I cannot believe no one has mentioned putting a grease fitting on the carburetor throttle shaft!
Nah, just add MMO or ATF to your gas so as gas drips out of your worn throttle shaft it will lubricate it.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:34 PM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Nah, just add MMO or ATF to your gas so as gas drips out of your worn throttle shaft it will lubricate it.

Seems logical, ...and with the way most A engines leak out the rear main, why are we worrying about the front radius rod (wishbone) ball and the clutch release shaft? The ball was actually designed to be lubricated in that manner.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-29-2017, 10:56 PM   #27
denniskliesen

Seems like grease fittings were like fan shrouds, naw don't need it, then later yah need a fan shroud same with grease fittings. My car has no fan shroud and no grease fittings on clutch brake pedals. I dribble some oil on those occasionally, same with the throttle shaft bolted to the back of the engine block, oil points.

Speaking of grease fittings, some of mine have been changed to Lincoln but most are still the original Alemite. I keep meaning to order some Alemite fittings and get them all the same again and I'm sure everybody that reads this thinks I'm nuts but I can get my original Alemite fittings to take grease and not leak from the grease gun tip. All of the Lincoln fittings and grease gun tip leak as much not going in as what does go in. What a mess and what I don't like about greasing. But I make sure my A stays greased. I bought my gun tip for the old Alemite fittings from Bratton's btw, works great.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:08 PM   #28
Synchro909

Quote:
Seems logical, ...and with the way most A engines leak out the rear main, why are we worrying about the front radius rod (wishbone) ball and the clutch release shaft? The ball was actually designed to be lubricated in that manner.
Quite so, Brent and I see absolutely no point putting grease fittings on there. I'm not sure the release shaft gets any oil from the rear main though. As it seeps out, the flywheel throws it around the bell housing and keeps it there till the motor is turned off, assuming oil isn't pouring out of the bearing. Once the car is stopped, it drains down and out via the radius rod ball, past the bolts and through the hole in the bell housing put there for the purpose. I doubt any finds its way UP to the release shaft, other perhaps a bit of an oil mist created by the flywheel flinging it about.
Keeping the pedal bushes in good order is important or once the one in the clutch pedal wears, the pedal will likely rub the exhaust flange. They do not hold any lubrication within themselves (we have to improvise) so I put a grease nipple on them. If I'm under there with a grease gun anyway, I see only benefit in making sure the release shaft is lubricated.
Just my perspective on it!
Old 05-01-2017, 09:53 AM   #29
1928Pickuppain

I don't really buy the whole theory that no one regularly greases there model As. I feel like most of Guys today do; maybe not there modern vehicles, but there beloved as they do. I am actually one of those loonys who probably greases to much, my 85 cj7 and my A get greased every Sunday no matter what. No matter were I am it gets done. As a result I finally had to change my original ball joints in my jeep at 513,000 miles ( that was only becouse of an accident to boot). My A was warn out when I got it from a life time of hard use. Now it's time for its day to get truly redone. I'm a firm believer that if you change your oil and grease your vehicle often it will outlast you.
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:21 AM   #30
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928Pickuppain View Post
I don't really buy the whole theory that no one regularly greases there model As. I feel like most of Guys today do; maybe not there modern vehicles, but there beloved as they do. I am actually one of those loonys who probably greases to much, my 85 cj7 and my A get greased every Sunday no matter what. No matter were I am it gets done. As a result I finally had to change my original ball joints in my jeep at 513,000 miles ( that was only becouse of an accident to boot). My A was warn out when I got it from a life time of hard use. Now it's time for its day to get truly redone. I'm a firm believer that if you change your oil and grease your vehicle often it will outlast you.
Yea thats a bit excessive :P I grease my moderns every oil change, much easier to deal with greasing the balljoints instead of having to replace the ball joints, pitman arm, idler arm, tierods, etc...

Altho im not 100% convinced that the greaseable U joints are better than the non greaseable kind...I always put a blob of grease in the caps of the non greaseable kind before assembly but they seem to last longer...
Old 05-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #31
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
I don't really buy the whole theory that no one regularly greases there model As. I feel like most of Guys today do; maybe not there modern vehicles, but there beloved as they do.

Well, you surely don't need to "buy into" anything that I say, ...however as a Model-A repair shop owner, I probably get to experience a lot more scenarios on Model-As than you might get to, ....and most of those beloved Model-As that come thru here do not see much grease on the fittings.

As for modern vehicles, my 2017 Ford Edge does not have one single grease fitting that I know of on the undercarriage. I suspect many other "modern vehicles" are in the same scenario. Does kinda make you wonder how those cars can go 100k miles on suspension parts without grease fitting intervals before wear is noticeable however the 1960s-80 model vehicles have lube fittings on suspension parts yet 100k miles is about it as far as longevity is concerned.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #32
1928Pickuppain

Brent,

I understand your point you obviously do far more model As than
I work on. I just know from my own experance that changing oil regularly and greaseing vehicles keeps them going longer. I work on enough cars /trucks and keep my fleet here at the shop on a regular scedual and those old girls all keep trudging along all F350s or E350s from early 90s a few much older., body's are getting sad but with most of them with well over 300k that the proof is self evident constant grease and fluid changes and all is well. Many years ago on here I posted a post about longevity of model a engine. And was told hands down that they just dont live longer than 100k I was concerned because I wanted to drive mine as a daily driver and it was already a high Mile motor having never been rebuilt to my knowledge. Well 100+ k Sence that post it's still running strong sounds like a damned diesel from the valves. My point is I just feel the evidence of Lubing and greasing regularly is plane to see and I have seen plenty of sealed bearings on these newer cars go in only about 8 years. Wether high mialage or low, sitting or rolling, they all have a ticking clock. If there's a point with any movement regular greasing and oiling will make it last. If anything it's not going to hurt it even if you have to cycle light weight greases In winter and heavier ones in summer.

Last edited by 1928Pickuppain; 05-01-2017 at 01:01 PM.
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #33
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Brent,

I understand your point you obviously do far more model As than
I work on. I just know from my own experance that changing oil regularly and greaseing vehicles keeps them going longer. I work on enough cars /trucks and keep my fleet here at the shop on a regular scedual and those old girls all keep trudging along all F350s or E350s from early 90s a few much older., body's are getting sad but with most of them with well over 300k that the proof is self evident constant grease and fluid changes and all is well. Many years ago on here I posted a post about longevity of model a engine. And was told hands down that they just dont live longer than 100k I was concerned because I wanted to drive mine as a daily driver and it was already a high Mile motor having never been rebuilt to my knowledge. Well 100+ k Sence that post it's still running strong sounds like a damned diesel from the valves. My point is I just feel the evidence of Lubing and greasing regularly is plane to see and I have seen plenty of sealed bearings on these newer cars go in only about 8 years. Wether high mialage or low, sitting or rolling, they all have a ticking clock. If there's a point with any movement regular greasing and oiling will make it last. If anything it's not going to hurt it even if you have to cycle light weight greases In winter and heavier ones in summer.
As some of us stated above, if you feel it is going to make a difference, then go for it!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-01-2017, 03:39 PM   #34
Tom Wesenberg

At the national meets I see lots of Model A's with no lube on the brake rod pins, door hinges, and leaf springs.
I'd rather see grease than rust on these parts.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:28 PM   #35
warrene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I've made spacers to fit the bellhousing bolt pockets, and these are just long enough to make up for the worn away cast iron.
I did exactly that also, cut fom a piece of 3/8 pipe, came out perfect, the pin thru; the bolts' ears now works also..
warrene is offline   Reply With Quote