Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2017, 05:38 AM   #1
cohammer60

Default Generator to alternator swap

Thinking about swapping my generator to an alternator while I have motor out of my 60 falcon . What components would I need to change from factory generator set up ? Worth the trouble?

Last edited by cohammer60; 02-14-2017 at 06:46 AM.
cohammer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
blucar

Default Re: Generator to alternator swap

The '60 and later Ford F series and utility vehicles were available with an alternator in lieu of a generator. My '60 4x4 has a Lease-Nevile (s) it looks like an Autolite (Mopar). My '59 has the Mopar style of alternator.. The engine bracket will have to be modified, paying attention to belt alignment, and a correct regulator wired in.
An alternator is a great alteration to the earlier Fords, using the Ford Autolite style of alternator in lieu of a the modern types will look original on your '60 Falcon..
Old 02-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohammer60 View Post
.... Worth the trouble?

Is something wrong with the generator or regulator? Are you getting the alternator for free?
Do you have 3 sets of Rally lights on the front of the car? (done that )
Aftermarket Air?
Killer stereo? (done that too )
An air compressor for the bagged suspension?

Kidding aside... Is there a good reason it needs to be changed?
The re-wiring isn't difficult but there will be little things that can complicate the job you might not have thought of, like making the red Gen light work right.
And if a mistake is made you could have a more expensive repair on your hands.

My vote...
if it doesn't really need it, there is probably another project on the car where the $ could go.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-14-2017 at 01:12 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:40 PM   #4
cohammer60

Have 3 good alternator and several brackets to make work , but I have 2 rebuilt original generator. The only adds I will be doing is electric wipers instead of vacuum and up grade headlights.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #5
40 Deluxe

One thing to consider is thart the original generator probably put out 30-35 amps max and the output wire is sized accordingly. Add a 60-80 amp alternator and you will fry that wire. So when rewiring for the alternator upgrade this wire.
NOTE: An alternator will charge at idle where a generator won't so this in itself makes the upgrade worthwhile.
40 Deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #6
cohammer60

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks for the replies, I will look at wiring and see about upsizing and try to spot other issues I may cause with alternator. Several friends recommended a new one wire alternator but have not checked into that .
Old 02-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #7
Vonn Ditch

This isn't a difficult swap and well worthwhile. I won't go into the obvious bracketry and belt issues, you can either fabricate what you need by modifying your existing or buy from a supplier. As far as the wiring, just go to this site http://madelectrical.com and purchase the kit they offer for just this swap. It will even operate the gen light if you use a three wire gm alternator. You won't have to change any other wiring it's all in the kit.
Vonn Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
cohammer60

Thanks , looks like good products and low cost for specific work.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:05 PM   #9
estout81
BANNED

You can use brackets and alt. from '65 or later Fords with similar eng. Easy wiring change if you look at the wiring diagram of pre '65 and post '65. I would not use a one wire GM alt.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:35 AM   #10
willowbilly3

I like using the Ford 3G. It is pretty easy to install. I get used ones from the junkyard for $10 and I've never brought home one that didn't work, nor have I had one fail. Click the link below fir the wiring schematic.

http://www.bcbroncos.com/3ginstall.pdf
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:30 AM   #11
Ford blue blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbilly3 View Post
I like using the Ford 3G. It is pretty easy to install. I get used ones from the junkyard for $10 and I've never brought home one that didn't work, nor have I had one fail. Click the link below fir the wiring schematic.

http://www.bcbroncos.com/3ginstall.pdf
2X what he said!

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:23 PM   #12
Alaska Jim

The easiest way to see what you need , is to find a 65-66 Mustang. or Falcon. you would then be able to see exactly what you need. then take a few pictures so you can have that info available while tracking down the components you need
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:02 PM   #13
willowbilly3

I like the early Ford alternators, tough as nails but the regulator is a bit of a problem to me. The only reliable ones are the original Motorcraft. Everything else is unreliable junk. The 3G really overshadows all others, the small frame is 95 amps and does most of that at idle. It is more compact than the earlier models and the brushes & regulator are externally mounted, or removable from the back.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:19 AM   #14
Charlie Stephens

I would have a quality shop rebuild the generator and it will probably last 100K miles. Most rebuilds today are nothing more than fixing the immediate problem and sending the unit down the road to fail again soon.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:11 AM   #15
Bob-93021

Willo.. Not sure what Ford 3G is. Is this a different alt from what was used in say 68-72 Fords. Thanks

Last edited by Bob-93021; 02-18-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Bob-93021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:53 AM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-93021 View Post

Willo.. Not sure what Ford 3G is. Is this a different alt from what was used in say 68-72 Fords. Thanks

This may help, how to identify and select ford alternators/
Old 02-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #17
willowbilly3

Unless you just like to spend money, the Powermaster is way overpriced at around $270. I'm not sure what all years or models make good donors but being a low buck scrounger, I just get used ones. Many of them bolted down solid like Areostars and F series but vans, Taurus and I think Mustangs used the housing you need. Check through this link and you can kinda see the range of prices.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...nator&_sacat=0
Old 02-19-2017, 02:56 AM   #18
Bob-93021

Mike V and Willow, Your info posted is great. After reading the Mustang article I now realize that I have 1G, 2G and 3G here in the garage! My 72 Mustang is 1G, never had any electrical problems with it. My 88 Thunderbird 302 (2G) that has had electrical problems with alternator and connector with wire to no where with it. And my 97 Thunderbird 4.6 that is 3G and no problems with it. This was an eye opener for me on Ford alternators. For low power I will stay 1G but when more is needed 3G is superior. I do have wiring diagrams to help me. I will not use powermaster, since I am cheap but will use pick-a- part stuff as needed. Thank you both

Just looked at original post. I do have generator supplied cars and if the generator and electrical system are in good order and keeping battery charged than I would not upgrade it. Note dms comments in this thread. I have driven cross country numerous times with points, generators and vacuum wipers (no AC) without electrical problems

Last edited by Bob-93021; 02-19-2017 at 03:11 AM.
Bob-93021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #19
willowbilly3

I also keep a generator that is doing it's job. And I have converted some to 1G over the years, nothing bad to say about that system. Stay away from the 2G tho, they are pure junk and all the juice comes out through spade clips that overheat and melt. Bad design.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:25 PM   #20
cohammer60

Putting in a 1g in the one I have says 60 amps and just extending some ford brackets I got from a junk yard . Have the original voltage regulator and generator in my parts cabinet if I decide to go back with it it won't be much to it . Just want brighter headlights and putting in electric wipers . Thanks for all the comments.