Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 11:45 PM   #1
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Default Model A shims

Brent, the blue Print is a nice touch, but the print is for the main shims, both brass, and steel which tells you nothing for what was used in production. I know you thought you had me, but no.

So here is a Question, if the Ford guy says he has a sack full, (he didn't say zip lock, or Potato sack, or I missed it) and I have had 3 single shims, and he has taken 20 motors apart, and we have done about 500, and all were brass and many at that time were very low mileage engines form water cracks, blown rods, ect. So where is the 50 gallon barrel of steel shims we should have to have gotten rid of, from engines with original Babbitt, as they were always Brass.

The Model T's were brass, the B's were brass, and the model A's were some how thought to be better with steel, I think not.

So from what I know, Brass was used in production, like all other engines of any make, and the cheap steel shims could be had for replacement.

So I think that the Ford Guy shows that with his replacement shim bag that has steel shims in, were the replacement parts.

If it were the other way around, there would be Brass shims in the sack.

Herm.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:15 AM   #2
TerryH

Default Re: Model A shims

Why argue over this....what difference does it makes? Just leads to hard feelings, and some more knowledgeable folks leave this site over hurt feelings. Why not comment on useful, productive issues that can help folks? This is going nowhere.......
Old 09-16-2016, 02:11 AM   #3
Kohnke Rebabbitting

"What Difference Does It Make", where have I heard that line before. Friend, if incorrect information is posted on here and not challenged, and followed by those that didn't know any better, is that what you would want for an information site like the Ford Barn.

One difference it makes is when align boring, if steel shims would be used, one hit with a align bore cutter, and the boring cutter cuts a chip out of piece of steel and it will stick on the tip of the Babbitt cutter, making thread like grooves in the surface of the Babbitt. A lot of work for nothing.

So what is not productive about truth.

Herm.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:22 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

The last one was closed because of insults but here we go again.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 09-16-2016 at 03:24 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:25 AM   #5
Ryan
Administrator

Like I said, go argue some place else please.
Closed Thread