Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #21
Ken Arms

Default Re: Reproduction 21 Stud heads

If I could buy a set for my 37 eng at the price I purchased my eddlebrock 59ab ones I would be all over it! And its totally OK if they are not original looking, I like the fin look and higher compression. I think a reasonably priced set would sell off the shelf! 59ab s are getting hard to find so we NEED 21 stud repro's. I hope Mr Eddlebrock is reading this!
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:25 AM   #22
RoadsterA

Jim Kerr - Ford restorations email [email protected] Happy to help Matt
RoadsterA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:11 AM   #23
danliveshere

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Do you know the cost in US $'s for a pair?
John I bought my pair about 2 years ago from Jim Kerr. Cost was about $1000 Australian, may be more now. (about $900 US). Jim also makes a really nice water pump to suit as well with new type seals etc, I can't remember the cost of the pumps. The heads are really nice casting, as good as Don Oroscos eddie meyer repops, that I've bought a pair of as well. Dan.
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:16 AM   #24
RoadsterA

Quote:
Originally Posted by danliveshere View Post
John I bought my pair about 2 years ago from Jim Kerr. Cost was about $1000 Australian, may be more now. (about $900 US). Jim also makes a really nice water pump to suit as well with new type seals etc, I can't remember the cost of the pumps. The heads are really nice casting, as good as Don Oroscos eddie meyer repops, that I've bought a pair of as well. Dan.
Dan its freaky you mentioned this regarding the WP as Jim mentioned he no longer produces them any more only the heads. Not sure on prices as we didnt discuss it.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #25
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by danliveshere View Post
Dan, thanks for the information. That sounds like a more reasonable price than the Kearny heads sold here in the States and I wouldn't care if they were 100% show correct for my '35. Postage cost from there to East Coast USA would be another consideration....unless....I could find a friend in AU who would be willing to bring a set over for me in his luggage

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #26
Lawrie

John, you have friends here.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #27
VeryTangled

As a curious rookie, what advantages (aside from 'originality') would aluminum heads provide for, say, a stock '36 21 stud over the iron ones? I understand the compression ratio might be able to be changed, but I think that can be done by modifying the iron ones, can't it?

Wasn't the issue with the original heads something to do with the original coolant/antifreeze eroding them?

Thanks in advance for the education.

-VT/Jeff

PS I also located this tread in the archives, doesn't add a whole lot though.
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50299
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #28
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
John, you have friends here.
Lawrie
Lawrie, I know that but asking a friend to bring something that big in their luggage might push the limits . I will check the latest price from both suppliers. Might not be that much difference now.
I may have asked this already (CRS), are you and family possibly thinking about coming across the pond in 2014?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 07-07-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #29
danliveshere

John there's always somebody going over. If you like I will give Jim Kerr a call as he may already know what postage will cost to the US. I know a lot of Aussies go to the US with a near empty suitcase so it can be loaded up with goodies for the trip home!!!
Jeff, the biggest problem with the old aluminium heads was the alloy mixture wasn't quite right, and they corroded easily. (also didn't have the quality anti corrosion additives like today). You also have to use the correct head gaskets, never install copper gaskets with alloy heads.
The alloy heads and intake are heaps lighter than Cast Iron type and also transfer heat better. You are right , by machining the face of the heads you will increase the compression by making the chamber smaller.
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #30
Scott/Mn

"If they were an accurate copy of the original Ford parts made in aircraft grade aluminum, what would your acceptable price range be for a set?"

I bought a pair years ago for my '36 coupe when Jon Scobel first offered the heads for sale, I think at the early Ford V8 meet in Dearborn 1993. Jon was nice to work with, the heads were high quality, and still look great. I think I paid $600 back then which seemed like a heap of money. If I had the chance to buy them today I would pay maybe twice that much, but $1500 seems a bit much.

The aluminum heads are obviously alot lighter than the cast iron, and
are supposed to be better for cooling. And they sure dress up a flathead...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 ford 005.jpg (63.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Aug 2011 013.jpg (62.6 KB, 87 views)
Scott/Mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #31
Lawrie

John, at this time we are planning to come to the v8 meeting at gettysberg.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:46 AM   #32
RoadsterA

Quote:
Lawrie, I know that but asking a friend to bring something that big in their luggage might push the limits . I will check the latest price from both suppliers. Might not be that much difference now.
I may have asked this already (CRS), are you and family possibly thinking about coming across the pond in 2014?

Anythings possible! Headin over for Carlisle (Quietly) But mainly Hershey!
Old 07-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #33
OLD...BILL

Quote:
Hey John:Not sure what head your "pining for" you remember the NOS heads here in my shop, belong to Charley, 21 stud, flat top, made in Canada, with Ford loco, both with 40 number, each side, and they are ALUMIUUN, also went to Tahoe and back give me call....
JM 35 the chick magnet... I'am still trying to get my head around that one... and still your friend .... OLD....BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #34
JM 35 Sedan

Old Bill, I have several sets of original (pump in head) 21 stud aluminum heads, including a used set of Canadian heads, and a set of repro Orasco Eddie Meyer's. I was just thinking it would be nice to put a new original looking set, made with modern alloy aluminum, on one of my '35's. Probably not going to happen if price is ~ $1500.00/PR.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #35
JK1934

Hi, I haven`t looked at the site for a while, I heard there was some discussion about 21 stud heads. My Dad & I make new alloy 21 stud heads here in Australia, we are early V-8 members & we have 2 1934 V-8s a 5w coupe & roadster, both have been running our heads for many years & miles, the heads are cast from aircraft alloy, heat treated, we indivdually hand machine each head & pressure test them, they are made to original specs & as has been discussed have no scripting as many originals were, scripting would add extra cost with licensing & patterns, also which script would you make? we have only just made cutters & fixtures to machine the dome for those that want to run dome pistons, we sell them for $1000AUD & postage to the U.S is about $250AUD air mail & $150AUD sea mail which can take about 3 months, with the current exchange rate a pair will be about $1200 USD including air mail. feel free to contact us or ask on here if you have any questions about them, my dad Jims email is [email protected] & mine is [email protected]. Thanks John
JK1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #36
JK1934

Hi, I have tried to post a reply to this discussion for a couple of days nothing has come through, hopefully this works, my Dad & I make the new 21 stud heads here in Australia, if you have any questions we are more than happy to answer them. they are cast from aircraft alloy, heat treated & they are individually hand machined & pressure tested. they are made to original specs & as has been mentioned no scripting as many were originally, we have only just made the cutter & jigs necessary to machine domes for those that want to run dome pistons. we are early V-8 club members & have 2 1934s a 5w coupe & roadster both have run our heads for many years & miles. my dad Jims email is [email protected] & mine is [email protected] Thanks John
JK1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:55 AM   #37
fourfords

I bought new, correct aluminum heads for my '33 from Kearny Pattern Works and Foundry 408-293-7414

Web site: KEARNEY PATTERN WORKS & FOUNDRY
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote