Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2023, 11:50 AM   #21
700rpm

Default Re: new distributor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
The issue with many of the original cores are they are worn beyond factory specifications. Many never consider this, but the grooves that guide the tangs on the Breaker Plate Assy. are often worn too much which does not support the breaker plate correctly. The correct dimension for this groove is 0.1562".

Additionally, the center of the Dist. Base housing is also worn which does not allow the Breaker Plate to rotate in the true ℄ of the Distributor Cam. This affects dwell and point gap.

With the above said, an original housing can be restored by using a specially made cutter tool and true the groove in a Lathe. Then I put a drop of weld onto each of the 3 tabs, and clamp the plate onto the table of the Mill to machine each drop of weld giving approximately 0.001" clearance in the groove. Also, the center of the Base Housing can be trued while it is in the Lathe. Depending on how severe the wear is, determines how to repair that area. The print calls for this diameter to be 0.715". If the hole in the base plate is within 0.010" or less of the Dist. Base diameter, the base plate can be peined (-as shown in Marco's photo below) however if that number is larger, then the housing needs to be brazed and then remachined to 0.715".

Thanks for the excellent info Brent and Marco. I’m just beginning some dissy work this week. Good timing.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 12:53 PM   #22
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M
Default Re: new distributor?

Many Model A folks have asked me "should I stay with a stock dissy or the FS?"

My answer is stay with the stock for one main reason: Should you experience a dissy failure when on a tour, most likely someone will have the knowledge and repair part(s) needed. Not many folks have the knowledge or carry repair part(s) for the FS.

A condenser is an easy one to replace....
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)