Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2016, 05:02 AM   #41
colin1928

Default Re: Macs closing

I for 1 will be a little unhappy to see Macs close for a few reasons
while not the best they were for international guys easy to buy online from and 1 of the better shippers as far as packaging and cost and it was possible to buy a mix of parts from T model to V8 and have it shipped together
My experience is when a major supplier closes the others suppliers with the extra work load tend to have a drop in service and personal touch and increase in price as they increase stock storage and staff

Last edited by colin1928; 06-09-2016 at 05:08 AM.
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:07 AM   #42
coupe1942

I happen to like Mac's myself and I will continue to use them until their negatives outweigh the positives for me in doing so. No issues in any dealings I have had with them so far, so no moans and groans from me about anything negative to speak of. It is a balancing act in comparing one vendor vs another for sales, service, pricing or shipping.

Not everyone has the same exact experiences with any of them and there is a big difference between liking a business because it meets your own needs vs disliking them because they don't operate just as you would have them do or that the new owners are not as good as the old ones. That doesn't mean one can't complain with legitimate gripes over service or costs and such, but everyone reading such gripes really has to take such with a grain of salt, as not everyone else will have the same view and the reality is often sort of somewhere between the views discussed.

Any loss to the hobby is a loss, regardless. I hope they have continuing success so that the hobby itself doesn't suffer any loss at all.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:39 AM   #43
jeep44

I've been surprised that the Model A hobby can still support so many vendors! I try to spread my business around to all of them, and I really don't notice any difference in any of them.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:43 AM   #44
Steve_Mack_CT

Well, we are lucky to have a true market with choices - a great advantage with these cars. I have had a couple of other cars where I HAD to deal with the outfit in NJ that rhymes with "Banter" - as in the Banter Bros. Clowns with the "well, you need it I have it and if you don't like it you can @#$% yourself" attitude. A little different from the nice guys you see on the HMN ads all the time...Can't say I have seen that with any pro A parts vendor. :-)
Old 06-09-2016, 07:53 AM   #45
Bob Bidonde

New York State has a very large population of antique and vintage Ford owners, but many of them are negative about doing business with MAC's because of the 8% plus New York State sales tax.

I am empathetic for the people who will loose their jobs, but I did business with MAC's directly only once because the state sales tax.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #46
Terry, NJ

In fairness, I have never had any problems (Except for when they didn't ship a part. I called up and they acknowledged the error and made good) Were their parts any good? Ask me in a couple of years. I like the tech info that they and Brattons include. One of my complaints all the vendors is that they don't include even the simplest, most elementary directions in their products. I realize that the vendors don't package these products, but I think a few requests from them might be helpful. Granted, it would probably be difficult for say , Classic wood, from NC, to write up detailed instructions for their wide range of products. but as a former Tool and Die maker, I've found some assemblies on a mod. A to be confusing.
One more thing, I've read where the assessment and the subsequent responsibility for the anti business climate was laid a the Govt's feet and someone didn't like it. It was labeled "Anti Government" speech or some such. If it were not true, I'd agree with him. but regrettably, it is true. As a Tool and Die maker, (Once in, never out, completely) I've watched China "Eat our lunch" and I've wondered who was the fool who created this situation. Note I'm not talking about politics, This is misguided government policy!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:00 AM   #47
denis4x4

Started doing business with Mac's in the early eighties and never really had any bad experiences. Having been involved with the automotive accessory aftermarket since the early sixties, there is no doubt that local, state and federal rules, regulations and taxes have had a very negative on business catering to our hobby. To think otherwise is being naive.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #48
ODFever

I think the consolidation of operations to Eckler's Florida location will benefit the Model A community. Management will be able to keep in close contact with the Model A parts division. Shipping rates may decrease due to economies of scale. The Model A community in Florida will GREATLY benefit from the move. The death of Jerry Isbell was a huge loss for us. Mikes A-Ford-Able became the closest place to get parts. If Eckler's moves the Model A parts to Titusville, those of us in Central Florida will be able to drive over and buy parts right from the sales counter. :-)
Old 06-09-2016, 09:44 AM   #49
Phred

Default Mac's is MOVING

Lot's of speculation and "well wishing" in this thread.

We do a bit of supplying to Mac's and have received a notice from them that they are MOVING.

Posts #8 and #11 are correct. They are not closing.

Peace, Phred
Phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #50
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Mack_CT View Post
Well, we are lucky to have a true market with choices - a great advantage with these cars. I have had a couple of other cars where I HAD to deal with the outfit in NJ that rhymes with "Banter" - as in the Banter Bros. Clowns with the "well, you need it I have it and if you don't like it you can @#$% yourself" attitude. A little different from the nice guys you see on the HMN ads all the time...Can't say I have seen that with any pro A parts vendor. :-)
Ah, yes. Know them well. I dealt with them once when buying parts for my '55 Ford front suspension. Never again...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #51
SuperDave

Well... For me, it's a PLUS. Titusville is only about 40 miles from here (Melbourne). Shipping should be less.. LOL That was the original Ecklers Corvette startup many years ago. But I am wondering where they will warehouse the parts. That place is relatively small.
Maybe they are going to go the "Amazon" direction and ship direct from the supplier. ??
SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #52
handlebar99

Well, I've never ordered from them directly, but recently I needed a starting crank for my roadster, so I bought one on eBay. It arrived very promptly and the shipping charge was nominal. It was shipped straight from Mac's.

Your mileage may vary.

Ray Rice in sunny Rifton
handlebar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #53
Terry, NJ

The Cantor boys of Boonton! Real "New Jersey"! Arrogant, etc and all the adjectives that go with it. Do you have a Packard or a mid fifties GM car. Mod A forget it. My friend Rick and I took a day and drove up there from Ocean Co.,and came home angry and grinding our teeth! The brother who answered the phone said yeah , we have model A parts, no problem. When we got there, other brother, told us No. Because it's visible from I 287, I had always wondered about the place, then I found out. Screw them!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Mack_CT View Post
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:13 PM   #54
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
What a surprise...
The hobby has just been dealt a favor and our good suppliers are sure to pick up alot of business from the uneducated who used Macs...
True with one exception, Mac's also manufactured parts and the story does not say what will happen with that part of the business.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:39 AM   #55
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

A little more poking around has revealed that a company, Mark Construction, is building a rather large warehouse for Ecklers in the Orlando area. This could be the real reason for the NY warehouse closing. They could just be consolidating the "mail order" divisions to same some cash. There are lower business taxes in Florida, no income taxes for the employees, lower property taxes and no snow/ice for months on end. There have been only a handful of hurricanes that have ever hit that area of Florida.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:21 AM   #56
RonC

I believe MACs is the sole supplier who makes or has made some of the essential Model A parts we buy from the other suppliers. The loss will be felt when the catalogs say no longer available for these parts. Also MACs sells everything on EBay in addition to mail order. eBay feed back shows slow shipping poor customer service. Maybe they are understaffed

Last edited by RonC; 06-11-2016 at 05:29 AM.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #57
OLDTINDEALER

When they were bought out, Bill (from Dick Spadaro's) joked with them that he hoped they would like Florida !! Reason they waited for 4 years is that MAC'S had gotten a LOT of money from NYS to stay in NYS (talk about free government cheese) but had to promise to stay for X number of years. Eckler's NEVER intended to stay here, just waited out the sunset clause of the millions of free $$ given to MAC'S.
My good friend Dick Spadaro told me " If your in this to make money, your in it for the wrong reason".
Good bye Eckler's your are not missed.
OLDTINDEALER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #58
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDTINDEALER View Post
When they were bought out, Bill (from Dick Spadaro's) joked with them that he hoped they would like Florida !! Reason they waited for 4 years is that MAC'S had gotten a LOT of money from NYS to stay in NYS (talk about free government cheese) but had to promise to stay for X number of years. Eckler's NEVER intended to stay here, just waited out the sunset clause of the millions of free $$ given to MAC'S.
My good friend Dick Spadaro told me " If your in this to make money, your in it for the wrong reason".
You are not missed??? What kind of logic is that! What about the people that lost their jobs? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #59
freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48fordnut View Post
The shipping cost vs the item cost killed them for me.

me as well
freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:37 PM   #60
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDTINDEALER View Post

Interesting. Hadn't heard that. Good old New York. No wonder we are #2 in debt.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote